timing cover bolt / coolant leak

DGC

Sorry to bother the forum, but I have not been able to relocate the thread regarding which timing cover bolts are open to the coolant jacket. So, I have a slight coolant leak at the bolt that is furthest towards the driver's side of the timing cover. My question is what is the proper way to close this leak. I have tried permatex high temp gasket maker, without success. I'm thinking that a fiber washer on the bolt might work. But over time and heat would most likely crack.
If anyone has a solution that worked for them, please share.

Thanks,
DGC

note the rebuild was done professionally/locally and car has yet to see the road.

You need to put pipe thread sealer (with Teflon) on all the 5/16-18 bolts that hold the cover to the block. The lower bolts aren't tapped into water, but its easier to just seal them all to be darn sure they don't leak.

There are 1/4-20 bolts that hold the water pump to the front cover, no sealer is needed on these, but a little anti-seize is a good idea......I've had them snap off in the cover when they get corroded.

ARP and Permatex both make a suitable sealer.....some guys use RTV too. either will work. I use liquid teflon

The only fix worth doing ins't correct.

Like said above, you're going to have to pull the bolt and apply some sort of sealant. Personally I use Yamabond for just about all of my pipe/thread/stud sealing duty.

In your case, you're going to be trying to seal against corroded, dirty, threads that are wet with antifreeze. So I'd recommend using using a thicker and/or non-hardining sealant for the best odds of success.

...or just plop a GM seal tab in the radiator and it'll fix itself.

Forum,

Sorry for the double post. Earlier post was flagged as 'unsecure' so I thought it did not make it as a post. I'll give the yamabond a try.

dgc

Permatex will work also, the old thick gasket maker in a tube. AC Delco seal tabs work great too.