dumbass oil leak at the timing cover crank sensor bracket bolt.

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I have been trying to resolve a stubborn oil leak at the timing cover. It is at the upper bolt that holds the crank sensor bracket on. It appears it passes through an oil galley? I have dyed the oil and it points right to it. I have removed said bolt before on suspicion of the oil leak and used right stuff to seal the threads up...nope...didnt work. I am using ARP bolts, same thread pitch... Anyone else had this issue too? And if so what did you do to solve it?

I use the lube resistant sealer that's recommended for diff grease. That hole is not in an oil galley, just into the open side of the crank case.

Nothing is going to seal with oil on mating surfaces. Imo...pull fastener and clean. Then get spray brake cleaner down in the front cover with the red tube extension so your cleaning the block threads. As long it isnt like a 1/4 of a can it will flash off and not hurt anything. Apply your sealant on fastener and rock on. If using permatex #2 let it tack up on fastener threads before assembly.

Nothing is going to seal with oil on mating surfaces. Imo...pull fastener and clean. Then get spray brake cleaner down in the front cover with the red tube extension so your cleaning the block threads. As long it isnt like a 1/4 of a can it will flash off and not hurt anything. Apply your sealant on fastener and rock on. If using permatex #2 let it tack up on fastener threads before assembly.

yea, will try this.

I had the same leak, turned out to be a hairline crack so I had to pull it and have it welded by Weber. I could have sworn it was coming from the crank sensor bolt, chased my tail for 3 months. That one just about broke the camel's back, every time the timing cover was disturbed the roller cam endplay changed so that procedure had to be gone through. The Danny Bee bolt-on thrust plate by TA Performance solves that nightmare.

Mike

Get an engine cleaning brush kit from Harbor Freight and a cordless drill motor. Chuck up a brush and spray it with brake parts cleaner and give that hole whatfor (giggidy). That should get it clean enough for sealant to work.

If there's no HF close by get a brush for cleaning gun barrels.

I ended up using a couple brushes used for cleaning my guns, and cotton swab, and brake clean, and contact cleaner, and Permatex #2 and the damn thing stopped leaking...at least the front stopped leaking.

I keep saying to myself, all fast buicks smoke and leak oil !!

I wont get to my transmission shifter seal leak last week I ended up curing as well.. Always buy the right tool! What a pain in the ass.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/schley-...nstaller-gm/?gclid=CKmHnc-MxM4CFQgKaQodMykCwQ