Timing Chain

I appreciate the info cause that's next on the list
Well I'm not sure about an 84' front cover, but I had to grind the inside of my 87' cover. The double roller needs clearance, here is where you need to grind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
So as long as the chain is strong enough the gears mean nothing?
This is not true. What is being over looked is the amount of spring pressure, rpm and harmonics involved. What takes the brunt of load when you increase spring pressure?, the timing set, among a host of other things. Would you keep your stock timing set when you decide to make 1000 hp with a solid roller!!! with 250,300 lbs of seat pressure compared to 80 some lbs stock.

If you go the double roller chain route, be sure you DO NOT install the chain tensioner!

This is not true. What is being over looked is the amount of spring pressure, rpm and harmonics involved. What takes the brunt of load when you increase spring pressure?, the timing set, among a host of other things. Would you keep your stock timing set when you decide to make 1000 hp with a solid roller!!! with 250,300 lbs of seat pressure compared to 80 some lbs stock.

You missed the part where he said ''strong enough''. And keep in mind, for every lobe ramp putting a load against the timing chain, there's one close by that's on the downward slope helping the cam turn. Granted it causes a 'cogging' effect as it spins.... And with 12 lobes instead of 16 like a 8cyl the cogging can be a little more clunky. (those are hi tech engineering terms).

And, no, I would not run a stock set on a 300# solid roller. I would also expect someone building such an engine to know better than to ask such an out-of-context question on a message board.

Hey guys. I called my mechanic for a estimate for a timing chain, water pump and thermostat . I got my answer..... He said $800 bucks without the parts.... THATS JUST FOR LABOR!! :mad:
Does that sound right to you folks?
He said 10 hours labor .... Seems expensive . I know our cars will drain our wallets dry but still....... $800 bucks
Any thoughts?

If you are going to do this "hot rod" thing and don't want to turn the wrenches, be prepared to pony up. I think doing the work and knowing it is done right is a lot of what the car hobby is all about. Well, that and I'm cheap.
$80/hr and 10hrs, well you have your estimate. Would I pay that? Heavens no. I can't see it taking ten hours either unless I mowed the lawn and did some pool maintenance along with it, but hey what do I know. Maybe he plans on two or three trips back to the part house for gaskets and such.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hey guys. I called my mechanic for a estimate for a timing chain, water pump and thermostat . I got my answer..... He said $800 bucks without the parts.... THATS JUST FOR LABOR!! :mad:
He said 10 hours labor .... Seems expensive . I know our cars will drain our wallets dry but still....... $800 bucks
Any thoughts?
Holy $?/t ...You buy the chain and gaskets and I'll do it for nothin.

Any thoughts?
Most owners will say to do it yourself if you have some mechanical experience, and that will save you a lot of money. Get a GN manual, read, read, and more reading and then ask questions if you're not sure of a certain problem. Here's another though while you're in the replacement procedure, replace the rear end seal.

I did read a while back if you need a double chain set up if you decide to increase the engine HP. If keeping stock of just a little HP increase stay with the single chain.

Here are some parts list for the timing chain replacement. Some will chime in on other type of timing chain company.
Timing chain set – Cloyes #C-3018K- E-Bay - $17.13 free S&H

New tensioner – NAPA http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NTP95158_0191974675 - $4.84

Updated cam button NAPA http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NTP95189_0191974674 - $15.14

Front cover gasket set – NAPA http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=tcs45930&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&N=599001+101987+50008+2 -- $9.99

Attachments

• Water Pump Bolts Pattern.jpg
    Water Pump Bolts Pattern.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 107
Thanks guys. I've done a lot of work myself and that's rewarding but I think I will pay to have this one done.
GNOYN, thanks for the part numbers. That should save me some cash. I appreciate it.