Timing Chain

nickygn23

20130901_125442.jpg
Quick question guys. My National has only 56,000 miles on it. . Should I do the Timing chain and Water Pump?

Last edited:
I agree, Valve springs would be great as well. Mine I haven't done as it still traps good

Yes do it. Over time, even on stock power levels or close to it, the nylon gear will crack in spots. Ad as others have mentioned, do the valve springs as well. While you are in there, if you don't mind keeping it some what original, replace the turbo drain if you have a lot of gunk beneath it. Most likely leaking from there. Get a braided hose from one of the vendors or make your own.

This is what mine looked like at 70 K. So,yes you should. I waited to long.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 284
Thank you gentlemen. Any suggestions on venders . Part #'s
Call ta peformance and get their performance stock replacement. They will give you the part number. You need to order the chain tensioner thing separate. Only the gear and chain come in the kit.

I'd go with a stock GM replacement set. Just be ready to change it in 20 years or 150,000 miles, I hear those things are crap.

Yes do it. Over time, even on stock power levels or close to it, the nylon gear will crack in spots. Ad as others have mentioned, do the valve springs as well. While you are in there, if you don't mind keeping it some what original, replace the turbo drain if you have a lot of gunk beneath it. Most likely leaking from there. Get a braided hose from one of the vendors or make your own.

Can the stock setup come out and be replaced with a double roller setup or is there other modifications needed?

I'd go with a stock GM replacement set. Just be ready to change it in 20 years or 150,000 miles, I hear those things are crap.
Honestly though, whats the power limit on those nylon gears? Like constant abuse power limit?

Power and timing chain load are nowhere related to each other. All the chain has to do is spin the cam and drive the oil pump. It has know idea how much shove the pistons put on the crank.

Power and timing chain load are nowhere related to each other. All the chain has to do is spin the cam and drive the oil pump. It has know idea how much shove the pistons put on the crank.
So as long as the chain is strong enough the gears mean nothing?

Pretty much. It'd be like asking ''what serpentine belt do I need for a 600hp car"... the belt doesn't drive the tires just the accessories.

I just spoke to my mechanic and he said a double roller timing chain will fit under a stock cover 84 sleeper.