timing chain tensioner

big reazon

How do you guys get the timing chain tensioner back on? I have one of those billet silent roller chain set ups from TA Performance. The chain is already really tight almost too tight. Then they want you to put this tensioner on. What is the methods used for getting this tensioner on? Is there supposed to be no play with this chain?

I have the same TA timing set. Mine fit very tight also, barely got it on. I believe I put the the tensioner on first. I didn't have any issues with the tensioner.

IMG_20130309_155449_0.jpg

big reazon said:
How do you guys get the timing chain tensioner back on? I have one of those billet silent roller chain set ups from TA Performance. The chain is already really tight almost too tight. Then they want you to put this tensioner on. What is the methods used for getting this tensioner on? Is there supposed to be no play with this chain?

I'm in the process of building my stroker I was told by longtime Buick builder not to use the tensioner with double roller billet

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same experience when installing my TA Performance Single Row Timing Chain / Billet Steel Timing Gears with tensioner.
The chain definitely did need some coaxing to go onto the gears.....seemed way too tight for my comfort, but I finally did manage to get it on. I had the chain tensioner installed, before I attempted to install the chain as well.
Since all chains will stretch somewhat with their initial use, I guessed that the little stretching that would naturally take place as the new set up had some run time should take care of things, putting the chain in a little more relaxed condition. I did take it real easy for the first few hundred miles though.
Overall , it's a great product / set up. I must say that it runs very quiet. I am very happy with my choice to buy / install this product & would highly recommend it to anyone needing to change over their timing set.

dave

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same experience when installing my TA Performance Single Row Timing Chain / Billet Steel Timing Gears with tensioner.
The chain definitely did need some coaxing to go onto the gears.....seemed way too tight for my comfort, but I finally did manage to get it on. I had the chain tensioner installed, before I attempted to install the chain as well.
Since all chains will stretch somewhat with their initial use, I guessed that the little stretching that would naturally take place as the new set up had some run time should take care of things, putting the chain in a little more relaxed condition. I did take it real easy for the first few hundred miles though.
Overall , it's a great product / set up. I must say that it runs very quiet. I am very happy with my choice to buy / install this product & would highly recommend it to anyone needing to change over their timing set.

dave
thats what I needed to know was a little bothered with how tight that chain was. Now I have to pull it back off to try and put the tensioner on first.

yep, I agree with dave completely. The trick for me was starting the cam gear bolts by hand and then slowly.... tightening them down (with hand tools) until the gear was all the way on.

Not saying it was necessary but I drove the car a few hundred miles and then changed the oil again before putting my foot down. Good peace of mind and it's "Cheaper than a motor".

I was told by longtime Buick builder not to use the tensioner with double roller billet
That is the same set up in my motor and it has developed some play in the chain , what running symtoms will I be getting from that play in the chain ?

That is the same set up in my motor and it has developed some play in the chain , what running symtoms will I be getting from that play in the chain ?

The confusion here is the OP stated " I have one of those billet silent roller chain set ups from TA"? :confused:

The new TA chain set actually contains a high quality link-type chain, NOT a roller chain. :)

The unique part of this set is the cam gear is billet steel, not cast iron like the cheap replacement sets that also use a cheap link chain.

The cast cam gear will wear very fast, like a few 1000 miles, and the chain then becomes loose. Slack in the chain gives 2 issues, first the cam timing is a little off, and second the slack "whips" the chain when letting off the throttle which is not good for the chain or gears.

The ability to use a tensioner on the link timing chain dampens the "whip" effect. On some applications, a second fixed tensioner is used on the other side of the chain for additional stability.