Timing chain replacement

5ltretr

Not off to a good start, trying to take the fan off the pulley and the motor keeps turning , how do I secure the motor so it doesnt turn while I unbolt the int fan?

thanks for the help!
myles

I assume that your chain is already broken. If it's niot, you can lock-up the crank pulley-be careful of the interuptor ring.

Or you can lock up the flywheel

If the chain is already broken, and the cam is turning only, put a wrench on one of the other bolts while you try to turn the stuck one.

Carefully.

Look inside the crank pulley where the large bolt is that secures it to the crankshaft. There will be some slots. Place a large screwdriver, 3/8 breaker bar, or some other legal blunt instrument through the slots to the underside of the motor.

LOOK CAREFULLY WHERE THE END OF THE BLUNT INSTRUMENT GOES!

There is a lot to damage under there if you just stick it in. After it's inserted, rotate the engine until it "locks up" You will need to repeat this for the harmonic balancer bolt anyway.

Watch that interuptor ring. You cannot bend it at all, you will mess up your crank sensor.

With air tools it's easy...I hope you have an impact gun air or electric otherwise you'll have fun trying to get the balancer bolt off...

get an impack gun and air wrench or let someone else do it,your going to damage somthing whith out them:eek:

I have an air gun it just sits there trying to turn and waste air unitl my compressor kicks in.

I wedged a 3/8 ratchet in the balancer hole and used a 28MM socket to remove the cranck bolt. was not that bad , I used my crossover pipe as leverage.

I think I still have to take the water pump off I got all the bolts off and the cae still wont come off

got the case off took the timing chain off , no broken teeth?

what else would a explain a bent pushrod I found?

chain seemed stretched from age and the teeth worn.

So it was my fault! :D

Ohh well better safe than sorry this chain needed a replacing anyways.

Took the cam out has some discolored areas what would be a one up from stock?

Russ is right.

Been there and done that.........

Here is some free advice. While you have 1/2 the engine apart, take the other 1/2 apart. Pull the heads and be sure that your pisons are OK and that the valve the played pong is not bent. Imagine how pissed you'll be if you slap it back together and find out you have valve problems.

While you in there, check out your cam too!

heads are being sent away , just waiting for the valvestem seals to come in.

the pistons look fine to me , just soot on them.

going to replace the cam also with the 206/206 or the 208/208

Thanks all for the help really appreciate it !

myles