Time to go Stage II!

Thanks, Dave.

The o-ring grooving between the two runner halves is finished. Now to machine o-ring grooves onto the surfaces of the runners that will seal against the plenum.

IMGP2838rs.jpg

Yeah, even on Thanksgiving Day. I just had to go into the shop this morning and knock out one of those runners. One down, five to go.

IMGP2841rs.jpg

The best runner entrance radius is an elliptical flare type radius. When done right, they do take up a lot of room. I want to see if this shape is feasable for me to use with my manifold design. Mainly, the question is, do I have enough room to use properly shaped elliptical flares for my runner entrances?
I've decided that I'm going to be making the runner entrances myself using my manual milling machine and my rotary indexer. My first mission is going to learn to understand the math involved in coming up with a properly sized elliptical flare radius. What is the definition of an elliptical flare or curve?

http://www.mathopenref.com/ellipse.html

First thing is to come up with are some known measurements that can be used in any equations involved in plotting out the elliptical flare.
The calculated diameter of the runner entrance is 2.65" after the entrance flare shape. It is a rectangular entrance, but converting the height and width of the entrance into a circle, that's what I come up with.
The height of the runner entrance flare shape will be 75% of the calculated runner entrance flare shape exit diameter. So the height of the runner entrance will be 1.99". That's pretty high. Yikes.
The next variable to figure out is, what does the diameter at the entry of the flare opening in relation to the diameter at the exit of the flare opening need to be?
edit: It appears the entry diameter to the flare should be 2.13 times the exit diameter of the flared entrance. The exit is 2.65", so the entrance needs to be 5.64" diameter. 5.64 will need to be converter into a rectangular shape.

Coming up with the radii variables a and b for the general equation of an ellipse.
2.65 = runner entrance flare shape exit diameter.
5.64 = 2.13 times the runner entrance flare shape exit diameter. This is the entry diameter of the runner entrance flare shape.
5.64 - 2.65 = 2.99 The difference between the flare shape entry diameter and the exit diameter.
2.99 / 2 = 1.495 The difference between the flare shape entry diameter and the exit diameter on each side of the flared entrance.
radius a for the general equation = .75 x 2.65 (75% of the exit diameter of the runner entry flare shape) = 1.990 at C = 0, 0 of the equation.
radius b for the general equation = 1.495 (calculated above) at C = 0, 0.
C = center of a formed elliptical circle plotted on a x,y graph.
Now that we have the radii variables that we can plug into the general equation, we should be able to determine and plot all x and y coordinates along the ellipse curve.

I am by no means a mathematical wizard, so if anyone sees anything wrong with my math, please correct me.

The general equation for an ellipse is;

(x² / a²) + (y² / b²) = 1

Now I need to modify the general equation so that I can determine the y coordinate for any given x coordinate along the ellipse curve. Or, vice versa, be able to determine the x coordinate for any given y coordinate along the ellipse curve.

I broke out the DesignCAD program. This will be much easier. Now, all I have to do is use the dimensioning features of the program to come up with the coordinate locations at particular intervals along the x or y axis of the elliptical curve.

Elliptical flare runner entrance rszd.JPG

PM Jerryl on the math and engineering stuff Donnie. I think he'd be interested in the math as well as helping you out.;)