Time for new turbo...give me your thoughts.

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
The engine rebuild is almost done. Details are in the signature. I'm going to sell off the (almost new) TA-49 I've been using, and am looking for a new turbo. Factory correct look isn't important. I'm leaning towards DBB such as the Precisions.

I drive the car 95% street and 5% track. I only put a couple thousand a year on the car, and am looking for streetable with some serious smack down power! :eek:

Like 6776?

Yup, there's a newer version with a new HP turbine wheel that's supposed to be even better than the old one I've got.

Here's how my 6776 P-trim .63 spools off the foot brake. click to view vid.

Yup, there's a newer version with a new HP turbine wheel that's supposed to be even better than the old one I've got.

Here's how my 6776 P-trim .63 spools off the foot brake. click to view vid.

that is SICK!!!!! WHAT CONVERTER how do you hold that brake with that turbo

that is SICK!!!!! WHAT CONVERTER how do you hold that brake with that turbo

PTC 9.5" non lock (there's another thread about it over in the transmissions forum)
Brakes are stock except for S10 rear wheel cylinders and a good powermaster.

PTC 9.5" non lock (there's another thread about it over in the transmissions forum)
Brakes are stock except for S10 rear wheel cylinders and a good powermaster.

Stalls quick!

Just a suggestion though....

Post the RPM's and the boost numbers during the stall.:) :)

Like this..

Boost......RPM
14........... at 3800 and so on. That will give us guys real numbers of how the turbo stalls with what kind of converter you have. I have a Precision 9.5 2800 advertised stall on a 70GTQ and I can still get it into the 4000 range.(real numbers of mine posted above)

Thanks, guys. The next question is what is needed to convert over from a TA49? I have no friggin clue.... :rolleyes:

No....I mean the fact that it's a water cooled setup, and apparently you cant use the stock hard-oil-cooler-line deal, etc. etc. I done got the tools years ago. I'm just looking to find out all the 'hidden' costs. :p

I bought a cpt66bb turbonetics turbo from Cottons and like it. Jack recommended it highly!!No water connections needed. I try not to get water close to oil if avoidable. Just my .02

Does this Turbo spool as fast as a TE-44??? From the clip it spools great but it probably has a good tune and converter as well.Seems like from that clip it spools faster then my TE-44 with my Garret .63 Housing.:rolleyes:

I just switched from a TE45a Q-Trim to Jack Cottons ctp66bb...while I was waiting for the BB Turbo I put a stock turbo on and was amazed at how fast it spooled-up...when I put the new CTP66BB on the difference in spool up from the puny stock Turbo was so small I could not notice any difference!! I haven't been to the drags yet.....2 days after the new turbo install my forward clutch pack burned up!!! Gee...I wonder why???? So it's back to Vince at Janice transmissions getting a "freshening up".

I just switched from a TE45a Q-Trim to Jack Cottons ctp66bb...while I was waiting for the BB Turbo I put a stock turbo on and was amazed at how fast it spooled-up...when I put the new CTP66BB on the difference in spool up from the puny stock Turbo was so small I could not notice any difference!! I haven't been to the drags yet.....2 days after the new turbo install my forward clutch pack burned up!!! Gee...I wonder why???? So it's back to Vince at Janice transmissions getting a "freshening up".

I wonder what the difference in spooling is between the CTP66bb and the 6776:confused: I called Precision today and they told me that a 3200 or 3400 converter would work well with the 6776.I think a 3400 is a tad to much converter for a street car that see's alot of miles.I'd be going with a L/U regardless.If the CTP66BB spools just as fast as my TE-44 I might consider it along with the 6776.:cool:

Does this Turbo spool as fast as a TE-44??? From the clip it spools great but it probably has a good tune and converter as well.Seems like from that clip it spools faster then my TE-44 with my Garret .63 Housing.:rolleyes:

The 6776 spools fast but the video clip you are watching is all converter. Thats a high dollar 9.5 inch PTC NL. Very nasty...you get your moneys worth. Loose on the bottom and tight on the top end.

In any case I will say it again...My 6776dbb spools super quick. I can ease into the throttle in second gear at 35 mph and it will spool to 20 psi and fry the et streets till I take my foot out of it.

The water lines are no big deal Sean. You are tying into the 2 water lines where the hoses went that circulated thru the throttle body. (I hope you removed that already) PM sent to you.