Throttle Body

ChrisCairns

I'm ready to mount my 90 mm Ford throttle body. (Get your minds out of the gutter, not mount it THAT way. :biggrin: )

I can do without the IAC I think so that leaves me with needing a TPS sensor and a cable connection. What does everyone use for a TPS? For input into an older sequential FAST?

And if I flip the TB over, the cable needs to be pulled basically straight down, not straight back like our stockers. But doing this flip puts the cable bracket on the correct side. If I put the TB in it's "normal" orientation the cable will be on the passenger side and would need to be pulled straight up.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Ford Mustang TPS works fine. I usuually cut the round ford connector and replace with a flat weatherpack. Gives the same 0-5 volt signal. On the linkage I'm sure someone who has one on a Buick can answer better. The one we did we added a tab on the throttle lever to pull the cable the correct way straight back. Here is a picture of how Cotton did it.
0605htp_02_1986_buick_grand_national_engine_z.jpg

Greg Kring
ex Stage II owner

Thanks Greg....that was the info I needed.

And I appreciate the picture although these old eyes can't quite make out the tab on the throtttle lever. I do get the gist of it though.

Another point is the return spring, the Holley unit I have doesn't actually have dual springs. I added a couple return springs because I didn't feel it was strong enough and NHRA rules require dual springs.

They make a Ford TB to GM IAC adaptor, Chris you can use your stock GM IAC especially if you mount it the way Jacks is.

Just about everybody uses the Lokar throttle cable. You cut it to the length you need and it works very well.

Thank you all.

Today I went to "De Zone" to buy a Ford TPS. Ha, and I thought Buick crap was expensive. They wanted $57.99 for just the sensor. I whined like a little bitch until the guy felt sorry for me and gave me a print out of the vehicles it comes on. So off I go to a large auto wrecker nearby, give the counter guy the printout and try to get a used one.

Nope on that one also. The auto wrecker sells the complete TB along with all sensors for $45. I don't feel like paying $45 for a used one.

So I'm back to square one unless I cough up $60. Or wait till spring and go to a Pull N Save.

Dusty.. if I can't get the stock cable to work I'll order the Lokar from Summit. Still need to figure the type of bracket Jack has but I have an idea.

Ted..unless you can tell me why it's better to run an IAC I'll just leave it off.

Mr. Camaro...I'll do what Summit says...cut off the Ford connector and use a Buick one.

Great info guys, and thanks again.

I think you can modify the Ford TB for a GM TPS, and be able to use your stock throttle cable, Chris. (Providing the location of the TB is close enough to hook up the cable.) Post a close up pic of the TB (both sides) and I'll try to figure something out for you. That way you can use one of the 50 Buick TPS's you have laying around in your garage.;)

I think you can modify the Ford TB for a GM TPS, and be able to use your stock throttle cable, Chris. (Providing the location of the TB is close enough to hook up the cable.) Post a close up pic of the TB (both sides) and I'll try to figure something out for you. That way you can use one of the 50 Buick TPS's you have laying around in your garage.;)

Okeydokey. Pics attached.

Attachments

• TB small.jpg
    TB small.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 616
  • TB small2.jpg
    TB small2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 614
Nice pic BillyT. And Dave apparently. :)

It looks like Dave has had his throttle arm reclocked by 90 degrees counterclockwise and the bottom half of it cut off. Great idea.

Chris,
Fast sells the #307005 Ford TPS sensor with the GM plug for around $40

Does the 90mm really make a differance over a 70mm?
Especially if you are using a 3" intercooler pipe, alot of trouble it seems to step up to a 90mm when a 70 may do the trick and use all your stock parts........

You can buy a bolt-on TPS sensor from PTE for that TB. It's a Ford sensor with a Delphi/Packard weatherpack connector pigtail. You can also run that TB with the IAC pointed down and use a Lokar cable.

I gave Scott, my billet bolt-on TB lever bracket for this same setup. If you're looking Scott, post a picture. I got a new lever from Kinsler and made a new throttle shaft.

Dave

Here is my set-up. Thanks again Dave for the TB lever bracket!

I used the Lokar throttle cable. The ford TPS is not adjustable like the GM one.

Scott

Attachments

• T.B. 001-1.jpg
    T.B. 001-1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 596
  • T.B. 003-1.jpg
    T.B. 003-1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 599
Here is my set-up. Thanks again Dave for the TB lever bracket!

I used the Lokar throttle cable. The ford TPS is not adjustable like the GM one.

Scott

I have two ford TPS's that are adjstable dont know if they are made by ford though if needed you can have them as I don't need them.

I have two ford TPS's that are adjstable dont know if they are made by ford though if needed you can have them as I don't need them.

I'd like one if Quickturbo6 wouldn't mind sparing one since you offered them to him.

And as for the rest of you guys....wowzer, great pics. It should be mandatory that everyone post pics of their various fabrications on their S2 engines. Fantastic ideas I see there. Wish I'd seen them before I struggled with my various problems.

I spoke to someone today about reclocking my TB lever. I'm going to print off the pics and take them to him to give him some ideas. I'd really like to keep using my stock throttle cable. The brackets you guys have made are terrific.

Here is what I did to replace the welded on throttle lever:

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 530