Thrasher Chips are Bootleg?

Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by DCVING 6

Why don't you want stutter? Is this where it holds out the stall a little longer?

As Homer Simpson says "In Theory"

Stutter sucks because:

1.) The stall speed of your torque converter may not exactly correspond to the stutter RPM
2.) The stutter feature is not synched to lights of the christmas tree, so sometimes you leave with the motor reving up (good) and sometimes you leave on a stutter (bbbbbad)

Stutter may work if you get it to stutter then mash the pedal to the floor while it is studdering, then leave like that. I never tried it because it's not something that comes naturally. Maybe someone else has. I tried it every other way and loved the chip otherwhise, just hated the stutter.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by UNGN
Stutter sucks because:
1.) The stall speed of your torque converter may not exactly correspond to the stutter RPM
That's why we were working on different stutter speeds during development.
2.) The stutter feature is not synched to lights of the christmas tree, so sometimes you leave with the motor reving up (good) and sometimes you leave on a stutter (bbbbbad). Stutter may work if you get it to stutter then mash the pedal to the floor while it is studdering, then leave like that.
Well of course it isn't timed to the Xmas tree:confused: If you've read the Thrasher website on how to use stutter, you would know how to properly use this feature.
I never tried it because it's not something that comes naturally.
Neither is the Anti-theft feature something that comes naturally. But >75% of the Thrashers I sell have the anti-theft feature.:cool:

$250 4 Nittos-$550 GN wheels

Im asking $250 for the Nittos& $550 for'87 Gn Wheels.Can someone tell me how to post pictures?I would like to show how clean my parts are,I need help in posting pictures

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by UNGN

Stutter may work if you get it to stutter then mash the pedal to the floor while it is studdering, then leave like that. I never tried it because it's not something that comes naturally. Maybe someone else has. I tried it every other way and loved the chip otherwhise, just hated the stutter.
UNGN, the 97 Thrasher I used for the first time (last time out with the T) listed Stutter and it worked ok for me. But I did not know what the feature was at that time and really do not remember the car stuttering at a preset rpm, although this chip listed 2400. Maybe this feature did help me since I mashed the pedal before launch and the other 3 times I have raced the tires began to spin when I tried to build boost too high (around 5 lb). I have a Thrasher 100 without stutter to test out so I can compare to see if the Stutter did help my inexperience in the launch technique.

Scott (mean :mad: :D ) Do you know if any of the Thrasher chips will work with the redstripe 38/40s? Mine have the green stripe on them. The reason I ask is I had read on the board that they may work out.

Motorhead445, you can not post pics on this board and would have to list a link to a website where you posted the pics.

My experiences with the stutter were trying to survive more than the first round of two different "gamblers races". For fun, the stutter feature make a nice novelty. (people actually came up and asked me "what's wrong with your car?") For actual drag racing it makes for a nice pain in the backside.

Of course this is just my opinion. I'm sure others love it.

Forgive me, but I fail to see the real benifit / use for the stutter feature. As I understand, most Thrasher users are running 12's, and does one really need to use stutter to launch the car consistently?
Also, why don't Scott and crew make chips for any larger injectors? I would love to try a back to back chip test with my car, but I have 52# ers!!

Take Care

BT
11.08 @121

What's this someone mentioned about a 97 Thrasher chip? I usually run a mix of pump gas/race gas that ends up about 96-97 octane... I'm running a Thrasher 92 now and if there is a 97 I'd like to try one ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by tim87tr
Scott (mean :mad: :D ) Do you know if any of the Thrasher chips will work with the redstripe 38/40s?
I have some of the developmental 40pph chips and sold several years ago. But as I recall, Tom inadvertantly *screwed up* the cal on these chips as the car he was using as a test mule was in the process of eating #3E. He kept futzing with the fuel to try to correct a cam problem :eek:

If anyone out there in TR world has used one of these developmental chips and wants to offer experience....I'm all ears. John Estill - didn't you try one of these 4 or 5 years ago?

Originally posted by Foolis
Forgive me, but I fail to see the real benifit / use for the stutter feature. As I understand, most Thrasher users are running 12's, and does one really need to use stutter to launch the car consistently?
If you do not understand the benefit of having a car leave the starting at the same RPM consistently everytime in a bracket race - I guess there is no need to argue with you. :rolleyes:
Also, why don't Scott and crew make chips for any larger injectors? I would love to try a back to back chip test with my car, but I have 52# ers!!
Scott [that mean as*hole] doesn't work for Thrasher and crew. I am not going to rehash the Thrasher development story again... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gokou
What's this someone mentioned about a 97 Thrasher chip? I usually run a mix of pump gas/race gas that ends up about 96-97 octane... I'm running a Thrasher 92 now and if there is a 97 I'd like to try one ;) Are the thrasher 009 going for $25.00??? I'm interested!!!
Available Thrasher chip calibrations - $25 each including shipping. The first 2 or 3 digits are the minimum octane requirement.

Stock and Green Stripes (all run the injectors static)
92-28-K2.0 <<-- For stock fuel pressure regulators
92-30-k2.2200
92-30-k2.0
92-30k2t.2200
92-30k2t.0
97-30-k2.L2400
10030k1t.2100
10030k1t.L2100
10030k1t.0
10830k1t.0

Blue Tops/868 injectors
92-35-k7.2300
92-35-k7.0
92-35-k7t.0
92-35-k7ts.0 (runs injectors static)
97-35-z6t.0 (old cal - no gear dependent timing or boost)
10835k7ts.L0 (static)
10835k7t.L0
10835k7ts.0 (static)
10835k9t.0
10835k7t.0
10835k7t.2300

009s/42.5pph injectors
92-42-j2.2300
10842-j2.000

The 'L' qualifier means the chip will lockup the TCC in third gear at WOT, 't' means the Anti-Theft feature has been removed and the filename extension indicates were the 2-step rev limiter first cuts in (zero means no 2-step.) Check out the Thrasher web page for more details. http://www.thrasher-ep.com/chips_htm/gnttype.shtm

These are my prices...I know others charge another $2 for shipping.

The stutter won't work if the pedal is mashed to the floor. If the TPS exceeds 35%, it shuts off, or actually, it moves it to 6000rpm.

Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by Scott231

I have some of the developmental 40pph chips and sold several years ago. But as I recall, Tom inadvertantly *screwed up* the cal on these chips as the car he was using as a test mule was in the process of eating #3E. He kept futzing with the fuel to try to correct a cam problem :eek:

If anyone out there in TR world has used one of these developmental chips and wants to offer experience....I'm all ears. John Estill - didn't you try one of these 4 or 5 years ago?

Scott, let me look through my list of Thrasher images from back when I was doing them. I'll go fire up my laptop and see what I have for 40's (I used to run them). You'll be welcome to any files I may have left.

Originally posted by Eric Stage I
The stutter won't work if the pedal is mashed to the floor. If the TPS exceeds 35%, it shuts off, or actually, it moves it to 6000rpm.

Eric

Thanks for the info, Eric. Since "burying the throttle before brake release" has always resulted in the quickest 60 ft's for me, I guess that's another reason for me not to like the stutter :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by TurboDave

Scott, let me look through my list of Thrasher images from back when I was doing them. I'll go fire up my laptop and see what I have for 40's (I used to run them). You'll be welcome to any files I may have left.
Dave, that would be great. I already have 40s in one car and have some used ones to install this winter into the other one. Scott, looking forward to hearing more about the Redstripe Thrasher possibility :) .

Eric Stage I, I guess that is why I did not notice the stutter. I built about 4 or 5 lb of boost slowly and must have been below the 2400, then mashed it, and released the brake after. So the technique eliminated the feature.

Scott,
Your right. Also, (if I've deciphered it correctly) right after it checks mph, it checks for tps>=35%. These "branch" statements get confusing sometimes:)

So there's 2 conditions that shut off stutter:
1. mph exceeds zero
or
2. tps exceeds 35%

Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by Scott231

Scott, when Tom was here at the GM Proving ground on a regular basis, he burned a few 42# chips after a some sessions of running a GN up and down the streets at midnight. At the time, they were as good or better than any out there.

Since then most of the locals have moved up in injector size and these are still here somewhere. Is it possible to get an image with a chip burner so you could see what he did then?