Thrasher Chips are Bootleg?

If you do not understand the benefit of having a car leave the starting at the same RPM consistently everytime in a bracket race - I guess there is no need to argue with you.

Thats what i do with my gas pedal, foot brake and high stall....stone age. :) If I read this thread correctly, the stutter stops @ 35% tps, real usefull on a car with a large turbo. I think the stutter is a cool feature, but i still have a hard time believing it would make you a more consistant braket racer < does anyone actually bracket race these cars> ?

BTW Mean Scott, did you bust off that 10 sec pass with a Thrasher? :cool:

BT

Anyone got a 50lbs thrasher chip out there thats in the testing phaze? i want one. i loved it with my stock injectors, but my max effort chip is hard to tune with for some reason. if anyone can tell me where i can get a 50 thrasher, i would appreciate it.

There were a few unauthorized 50# Thrashers out there but they had problems and the effort was dropped.

The ME should run very well without any adjustment.

Is your transmission shifting over 5000 rpm and is the maf hitting 249?

well, the problems im having with the ME is that i cant get it to run right off idle, or at idle. if i put it in gear, it stumbles, then picks up, but sometimes will die, especially if i put it in gear right after its started up. it idles OK, but has a horrible tip in stumble, when i add a bunch of cruise fuel and idle fuel, it goes into gear better, and doesnt stumble quite as bad, but then it is really sluggish, and gets horrible gas mileage. just feels really sluggish and seems like its laboring to get movin. once the tip in stumble happens and it smooths out, it pulls nicely, and smoothly, the turbo spools good, and it just feels nice. at part throttle boost it blows out tons of smoke, black smoke, on setting 4 on the thumbwheel. if i go full throttle it wont smoke so bad.. just alot of little junk, that takes alot of trial and error, to get it to work correctly, i want to send the chip to steve Y and see if he can reprogram it for my combination, i found i have a TA49 turbo instead of a stocker, like previously thought. might even be larger than that.

Did you set your IACV counts to 0-5 or so. They should be real low for the Maxeffort chip.

Could be part of the problem.

well, thats another problem, i cant tell what the IAC is set to, because the chip wont send that info through the ALDL port. its programmed out in scanmaster logic. so i cant view it at all. ive tried to reset it like the 500 rpm thing, but it doesnt work

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by Nick Micale

Scott, when Tom was here at the GM Proving ground on a regular basis, he burned a few 42# chips after a some sessions of

Since then most of the locals have moved up in injector size and these are still here somewhere. Is it possible to get an image with a chip burner so you could see what he did then?
See my post above as to what is available.

Originally posted by Foolis
Thats what i do with my gas pedal, foot brake and high stall....stone age. :) If I read this thread correctly, the stutter stops @ 35% tps, real usefull on a car with a large turbo.
Thrashers are not meant for race cars...or even cars with big turbos, ported heads or significantly larger cams. The initial chip was designed to get Tom's completely stock car (sans exhaust) into the twelves on pump gas...unfortunately, he only got as low as 13.01 on radials. ;)
BTW Mean Scott, did you bust off that 10 sec pass with a Thrasher? :cool:
No, My 10-second car runs an aftermarket digital fuel injection / distributorless igntion system that does not use EPROMs.; And my daily driver did its 12.70s before the Thrasher chips were developed.

Originally posted by GS70350
well, thats another problem, i cant tell what the IAC is set to, because the chip wont send that info through the ALDL port. its programmed out in scanmaster logic. so i cant view it at all. ive tried to reset it like the 500 rpm thing, but it doesnt work

sent you an email....:)

Jacob,

The problem you describe is somewhat unusual....

What FP are you running? 43 for 50's.

Where did you get the TW? Usually i put the proper logic in for the scantool you run.

If it is a coneless chip it will do as you describe with just screens out of a stock maf.

We will get you squared away bud.

Keep me posted,

Steve

I just pop in a conventional chip when looking for IACV counts and setting it.

I changed to the 2.1 Scanmaster version after getting my Maxeffort and don't have the proper code either. Another chip I have does. Gonna upgrade mine someday too. :)

Anyway Steve is here and will help you out for sure.

Originally posted by Scott231

Thrashers are not meant for race cars...or even cars with big turbos, ported heads or significantly larger cams. The initial chip was designed to get Tom's completely stock car (sans exhaust) into the twelves on pump gas...unfortunately, he only got as low as 13.01 on radials. ;)

That must have been why he looked kind of surprised at Bristol a few years back when He asked what I was running and I told him "we can only run 12.0's because of the breakout rule in TFS class, I figure it will go mid 11's."

Thrashers are not meant for race cars...or even cars with big turbos, ported heads or significantly larger cams. The initial chip was designed to get Tom's completely stock car (sans exhaust) into the twelves on pump gas...unfortunately, he only got as low as 13.01 on radials.

Well challenged Scott. 13.01 is plenty impressive! :)

I think any TR owner looking for a "Miracle" ship is dreaming. You have been @ it longer than I, but the road to my 11.08 was a long rocky one!, for me @ least. The bottom line, as far as I have learned, is it takes $$$ to go fast. That, and a good combo. :eek:

BT

does the Thrasher work with Direct Scan? I remember reading somewhere that some chips won't work with direct Scan? I am interested in trying a Thrasher but only if it works with DS. Thanks.

Originally posted by Foolis
I think any TR owner looking for a "Miracle" ship is dreaming. You have been @ it longer than I, but the road to my 11.08 was a long rocky one!, for me @ least. The bottom line, as far as I have learned, is it takes $$$ to go fast. That, and a good combo. :eek:

Truer words could not be spoken. I bought a "10-second race car" back in 1994. After much blood, sweat and tears, it took me 7 years and another $10,000 to first crack into the tens.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by TIMS87GN
does the Thrasher work with Direct Scan? I remember reading somewhere that some chips won't work with direct Scan? I am interested in trying a Thrasher but only if it works with DS. Thanks.
It most cetainly does. You wil find, however, that the Thrasher timing information has been altered on the chip. As such, the timing numbers reported by DirectScan are inflated. Everything else runs normally (especially the amount of knock retard computed by the ECM) that is...if your car ever knocks with a Thrasher chip.:cool:

Shoot me an e-mail at Scott231@Juno.com for further details.

Originally posted by Scott231

Truer words could not be spoken. I bought a "10-second race car" back in 1994. After much blood, sweat and tears, it took me 7 years and another $10,000 to first crack into the tens.:rolleyes:

Hey, and you've been giving me crap about how long I'm taking to get my car together?! :) I should have another 5 years at least!

Originally posted by KendallF
Hey, and you've been giving me crap about how long I'm taking to get my car together?! :) I should have another 5 years at least!
But at least my car was up and running for those 7 years...well would you believe 6 years...how about 5 racing seasons and we'll ignore downtimes during the Winter? Huh, please? won't you be my friend...;)

Originally posted by GS70350
Anyone got a 50lbs thrasher chip out there thats in the testing phaze? i want one. i loved it with my stock injectors, but my max effort chip is hard to tune with for some reason. if anyone can tell me where i can get a 50 thrasher, i would appreciate it.

How can the Max E be hard to tune? I've been running them for 3 yrs now and even the New Maff-less one runs like a swiss watch. Basically follow Steve's instructions, and it is a piece of cake. Heck, I'm getting 20+ MPG overall with 55# injs and No Maf. Sounds like you arent following the instructions, or you got a pirate version of the chip from someone who dont know what they were doing and also cant help you figure out what is wrong with it. If you have a legitimate MaxEffort setup, I am sure Steve will get you squared away in no time. His customer support is second to none.

If you bought a knock off/ripoff one from a pirate hacker, you got what you paid for :D Not much support from those guys, as they are just leeches that make $ from other peoples hard work.

Dwight Hayden