Thrasher Chips are Bootleg?

motorhead445

I called Thrasher Chips(765)-566-2685 &I spoke with a representative who said that they dont make chips for turbo buicks anymore because someone (Hacked their programs& stole their websites?)& They are passing off as Genuine Thrasher Chips?This Guy Sounded Really MAD:mad: About the whole Hacker thing is this all true?Well im interested in a good Race Chip for my '87 Turbo-T.Any good suggestions?I have 30lb (Green Stripes)they were already on the car when i bought it.I have a Postons 93 chip in it &I have a stock turbo set at 20 lbs with 100
unleaded.I feel like this chip is holding me back.This is my 3rd time racing at 8th mile& Im running 275/50/50 Nitto DragRadials
They dont seem to work for me so Im gonna get MT Et streets anybody interested in Nittos?They are still new I also have '87 Gn Wheels that have to go Thank you

Call Cotton's Performance for a Jay Carter chip. I've been using them for a couple of years and really like them.

Jacob

Originally posted by motorhead445
I called Thrasher Chips(765)-566-2685 &I spoke with a representative who said that they dont make chips for turbo buicks anymore because someone (Hacked their programs& stole their websites?) They are passing off as Genuine Thrasher Chips?This Guy Sounded Really MAD about the whole Hacker thing is this all true?

They don't make the chips because the original programmer (Tom Chou - Delco Electronics) didn't want to deal with the day-to-day dealings with people inquiring and buying chips. Tom went ahead and delegated that "right" to me and a few others in the TR community. (I know what he means about the inquiries. On average, I get 3 requests a week for Thrasher chips and only 1 of those people will send me the check). Thrasher, Inc. started up several months later to sell modified pulleys for the FWD cars. Since Tom was a part of Thrasher, Inc., he felt compelled to put up his informaiton about the Thrasher chips he made. On that website he lists those of us that are the "authorized distributors."

The TR chip stuff on the Thrasher website wound up getting buried behind all the crap they were making for the FWD cars. So as not to loose that info, myself and Russ Salerno (at a minimum) saved those pages on our computers. As the Internet took off, Russ noted that there were no online sites to buy Thrasher chips, so he made one. Possibly that is what the dork on the phone was complaining about. Incidently, other than Tom (if he is even still involved with Thrasher, Inc.), no one at Thrasher, Inc. was even into the TRs or chip development back when these chips were developed.

The Thrasher that I, Rob Wilson and Russ Salerno sell are the real thing. If you buy a new Thrasher chip from anyone else, it is considered a "bootleg".

I have 30lb (Green Stripes)they were already on the car when i bought it.I have a Postons 93 chip in it &I have a stock turbo set at 20 lbs with 100 unleaded. I feel like this chip is holding me back.

For $25 you can buy a Thrasher chip for 100 octane fuel or 108 octane fuel (if you wanna go even faster). I will gaurantee that the chip will outperform the Poston's chip if your follow the instructions. Yeah, $25.......includes shipping. Beat that with a stick!:cool:

Do it, man! The street chip kills top end acceleration. You will not notice it as much in the 1/8 as the 1/4 but for $25 they work great

I recommend the Thrasher chips also. There was a very technical thread awhile back that listing the timing for the rpm, search by gnjones231. I have used the 97 chip with stock injectors, see T sig. I just traded for a Thrasher 100 and will be using it soon. So my recommendation is the same as Scotts, it works very well.

There was a very technical thread awhile back that listing the timing for the rpm, search by gnjones231.

There was an error in the way he was calculating the timing so most of the numbers he posted showed much more advance than the chip actually had - see the bench vs on-the-car thread for the resolution. I was also told by Tom that I could sell Thrashers so I don't consider any I sell as bootleg, and I have sold several locally but I was never interested in doing business by mail order. So far as I recall he told me that any of his beta testers were free to sell them for a nominal fee to recover costs, we just weren't supposed to mark them up to make a big profit. Back then the going rate was $20, and now that the carriers are hard to get the price seems to be $25, which is certainly within the spirit of what Tom asked.

Re: Re: Thrasher Chips are Bootleg?

Originally posted by Scott231

Yeah, $25.......includes shipping. Beat that with a stick!:cool:

thrasher chips are like a sore d!ck...you can't beat 'em!:D

Re: Re: Re: Thrasher Chips are Bootleg?

Originally posted by WFO

thrasher chips are like a sore d!ck...you can't beat 'em!:D

Not sure if that is allowed or not--but sure was funny-been AWHILE since i have cracked up laughing in the tech section-nice one.

Geoff

How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

I want a 100 octane Thrasher for 30lb(Green Stripes)&108 with stutter and TCC lockup.Where can I get them,How to I get contact
phone#-E-mail?I only interested in The REAL DEAL-no BOOTLEGS.Let me Know as I got the run around a few times

yea the Thrasher chips work wonderfully. The idle is dead smooth too. I highly recommend em

All of the Thrasher guys that post here are 100% legit. When you deal with Rob, Scott, Carl and the other guy I'm forgetting right now because I'm sleep deprived, you're getting the real deal.

From the post earlier regarding my chips, Cotton Performance is no longer a dealer for my chips and hasn't been since early this year. I doubt he has any stock left as he was about out before we parted ways.

So fix the e-mail in your User Control Panel here on TB.com so I'll send it to the right addy! :D

I now that Thrasher does not make a chip for 009's. But what is the reason? I always see people saying they are the best thing since sliced bread. Did Tom get fed up with everything before he did the program for 009's?

Tom got "fed up" during the 009 development. As I posted last month, I am offering both a street and a race 009 Thrasher chip.

Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by motorhead445
I want a 100 octane Thrasher for 30lb(Green Stripes)&108 with stutter and TCC lockup.Where can I get them,How to I get contact
phone#-E-mail?I only interested in The REAL DEAL-no BOOTLEGS.Let me Know as I got the run around a few times

You DON'T want Stutter. You'll wish you could turn it off right after the novelty wears off (3rd or 4th pass)

Re: Re: How do I Get A REAL THRASHER?

Originally posted by UNGN

You DON'T want Stutter. You'll wish you could turn it off right after the novelty wears off (3rd or 4th pass)

Why don't you want stutter? Is this where it holds out the stall a little longer?