thoughts on hooker exhaust

turbo_tomas

I'm in the market for a new exhaust. Seems like the hooker system is fairly priced. Any experience with this exhaust? recommendations? Pictures with it on car?

put it on last summer, kit is complete with all hardware, fit very nice, easy on, only problem is they hit the rear flaps which have to be cut. i know most guys are not running the flaps but if you want to as I do it creates a problem. my car is fairly stock and picked up .5 over the stock set up.

hooker

Im gonna play devils advocate here. It sound cool...nice and quiet....and flows well......but both of the tailpipe hangers snapped on me. I went to an exhaust shop and chose new hangers that allow slightly more flex. Also.....the tailpipe hangers get rusty kinda quik. Maybe spray them a flat black or something. Just my .02
Chris

Hooker Cat-Back Exh. System was money well spent, i like them, has a nice drone sound to it, not too loud like the ATR System, notice a difference as well, can't go wrong with the price either, i think summit racing still has a good price on them, installation was easy, pretty much bolts right up into place, only thing i had to do was cut my old test pipe where it bolts to the down-pipe, use the flange and weld it to the new test pipe to it

hooker cat back

Hi!
It took me about an hour to install this system, and all parts were included. About the only down side I can think of with this is that you can't hear a real good sound. It's quiet and refined. That's not so bad....
Dale

Bought it for mine. Sell the mufflers that came with it and get the Hooker MaximumFlows - only slightly louder and flow much better.

I have it. Good price and install was not bad. However, I think it is too quiet. I dont drive the car much and have an electric cutout on the way to fix that. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the ATR 3" stainless single shot exhaust. A lot of people complain about the noise on that one.

Zac

I know you were lookin at hooker... but aggressiveauto.com has a 15% off a few atr exhaust systems..

hooker cat back

Hi!
Come on guys,this is not anything it wasn't designed to be. I think it's a great exhaust system, especially at the price. It's quiet, and as far as flow is concerned, You can look in one end and out the other on the mufflers! How low flow can you ask for?
Dale

I just bought an 86 Ttype with no mufflers and straight exhaust Y'd from the down pipe threw two 2 1\2" tailpipes.

I also have another 86 Ttype just the same but with the hooker mufflers. I don’t know exactly what series hooker mufflers I'm running but there are only slight differences that I have found thus far:

1. Open exhaust is only slightly louder (I've been told the turbo acts as a muffler) surprisingly. And it is deffinatly not offensively loud.

2. The hooker mufflers make a nicer resonance and you can hear the turbo whistle better with a little less noise in most cases...

My opinion is that the hooker mufflers sound a little anemic in the loudness category, but they make up with the sound that’s sweeter.

-Ben

Got the Hooker exhaust about 1 1/2 years ago. I got no complaints with it. It is quiet, but just put a dump pipe on and it will fix that when you want to.

I put mine on about 9 months ago and would use that system again if needed. Got it from Summit. I painted the tails with high temp black and the 'Y' with high temp silver and it still looks great on a 'daily driver'.

hooker system

I've had my Hooker system for 6 or 7 years and its time for a new one. I had painted all the pipes black but road salt from the New England winters ate the mufflers and then the pipes. For only $250 back then I'm not complaining though. Sounds a little louder (better) with the holes in it but its time for another one.

Those of you that painted yours, how did you strip the oil off the pipes first before painting? What paint did you use ?

I have that exhaust on my WH-1. It sounds good. Not too rescrictive, and decently priced. Had one on my V8 Regal as well. It came on my car when I bought it, along with the Kirban downpipe. Had a dump welded on to make it loud when I wanted it to be. I might put the Hooker system on my next TR. My WH-1 is permanently out of action. :(

I bought it because it was cheap. I hate doing exhaust work, but I thought this system was pretty easy to install. Over all I am very pleased with it. It is really quite.

I ordered mine from Jegs in July of 2001 because they were a little less expensive than Summit for the same kit. I paid 279.99 for part # 052016810. This kit even came with a test pipe to replace the catalytic converter for off road use only. I t wasn’t mentioned on the parts kit list and it was not shown in the installation instructions. I was pretty happy to see it in the kit though.

The system is still on the car and is in great shape, how ever we are pretty particular about the weather we drive the car in.