Thinking of moving.. Opinions/info on places?

wish98was87

Hey guys.. I was born and raised here in NY (long island) and my fiance is having trouble finding work as a teacher in any of the schools in NY/NJ (shes from NJ) and originally the plan was for me to try and find a job in NJ. After 2 years of not being able to find a job there (I am working in NYC though) and not being able to move in together or progress towards marriage at all we have been considering moving to some more laid back, little more affordable places. Being in our early 20's we cant really afford much in the tristate anyway :rolleyes: my parents cant even haha.

Anyway.. long story short. I enjoy everything woods, fishing, hunting, swimming pretty much outdoors typical guy stuff and while she doesnt mind those things she doesnt want to be in the middle of nowhere. I could do with a couple acres outside a small city or so that still gives her all she wants not to far of a drive away.

I know the places are out there can some of you guys chime in and give me some ideas or places to visit. Tryin to plan some trips for the summer. Mainly looking in areas of Virginia (Richmond, Norfolk, Harrisonburg, any others?), North Car. (Asheville, Chapel Hill,...) possibly PA (Pitt, Gettysburg,...). Want to avoid the MAJOR cities of DC and Phili and stay around the PA,MD,VA range as our families are around there. Would like to be near some kind of water for activities and needless to say, a place cheaper tax and home wise than NJ and NY. I would think most other states are but I am not sure if places in VA or PA close to either major city are real expensive. Sorry for the long story but any help/reccomendations would be great. Thanks guys and keep the bricks clean! Happy holidays and new year!:biggrin:

-Rich

Don't even consider Ca.

I was going to move to the Knoxville, TN area, but the economy has delayed that.

In this economy make sure you or she have a job first.

Good luck

move

Just had a friend move from Florida to new york city. Said he hated it here and wanted to move to the big city where the people don't drive slower than a turtle :eek:

you can try here in tacoma. everyone here is an outdoors person, and there are several schools out here. The city limits are home to good activities, and our economy is better than seattles. in seattle they are laying off teachers, here they are hiring.

look up tacoma... the biggest small town in america.

Please go south.

Don't consider New england we have way too many YANKEE fans up here.

Plus its cold & expensive (well from NY your use to that).

You mention teaching. She should try and become a Department of Defense teacher on a base overseas. Germany would be great. I wish I had some kinda contact for you but you might could google some info on it.

Thanks for some of the replies guys! No offense to you CA guys but thats prob the only place I wouldnt leave NY for haha (and couldnt afford it anyway ) I hear great things about Washington state but we are trying to stay along the eastern atlantic region if possible. She is gona go back to school and try and do some kind of administration or something so we'll see. She has some good contacts around these areas. My sis is teaching down in MD so I know they are hiring there.

Haha def not a Yankee fan (actually not much of a baseball fan). All about the pucks! Probably the only one on here that will say it but GO ISLES! haha.

VT, NH and Maine are nice but don't want to deal with much more snow than we already get here in NY. Canada is great just a little to cold for the Mrs. Thanks guys for the replies! I would really love Tennessee also her aunt lives there, I'll prob try and visit there also. Keep em comin! ;)

-Rich

Thanks for some of the replies guys! No offense to you CA guys but thats prob the only place I wouldnt leave NY for haha (and couldnt afford it anyway ) I hear great things about Washington state but we are trying to stay along the eastern atlantic region if possible. She is gona go back to school and try and do some kind of administration or something so we'll see. She has some good contacts around these areas. My sis is teaching down in MD so I know they are hiring there.

Haha def not a Yankee fan (actually not much of a baseball fan). All about the pucks! Probably the only one on here that will say it but GO ISLES! haha.

VT, NH and Maine are nice but don't want to deal with much more snow than we already get here in NY. Canada is great just a little to cold for the Mrs. Thanks guys for the replies! I would really love Tennessee also her aunt lives there, I'll prob try and visit there also. Keep em comin! ;)

-Rich

What part of TN? Those of us that live here love it!!! Especially here on the east side tucked up against the Smokies!!

The midwest isn't too bad, especially if you want to consider raising a family. Home pricing isn't bad, land is generally plentifull, good school systems, etc. However, it's cold and lacks the big city life. No real threat of huricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, etc...just an occassional tornado or two.

Hey guys.. I was born and raised here in NY (long island) and my fiance is having trouble finding work as a teacher in any of the schools in NY/NJ (shes from NJ) and originally the plan was for me to try and find a job in NJ. After 2 years of not being able to find a job there (I am working in NYC though) and not being able to move in together or progress towards marriage at all we have been considering moving to some more laid back, little more affordable places. Being in our early 20's we cant really afford much in the tristate anyway :rolleyes: my parents cant even haha.

Anyway.. long story short. I enjoy everything woods, fishing, hunting, swimming pretty much outdoors typical guy stuff and while she doesnt mind those things she doesnt want to be in the middle of nowhere. I could do with a couple acres outside a small city or so that still gives her all she wants not to far of a drive away.

I know the places are out there can some of you guys chime in and give me some ideas or places to visit. Tryin to plan some trips for the summer. Mainly looking in areas of Virginia (Richmond, Norfolk, Harrisonburg, any others?), North Car. (Asheville, Chapel Hill,...) possibly PA (Pitt, Gettysburg,...). Want to avoid the MAJOR cities of DC and Phili and stay around the PA,MD,VA range as our families are around there. Would like to be near some kind of water for activities and needless to say, a place cheaper tax and home wise than NJ and NY. I would think most other states are but I am not sure if places in VA or PA close to either major city are real expensive. Sorry for the long story but any help/reccomendations would be great. Thanks guys and keep the bricks clean! Happy holidays and new year!:biggrin:

-Rich

Texas... best economy in the nation, LOW cost of living, outstanding opportunities to indulge your love of the outdoors and plenty of more "civilized" activities for the fiance.

Personally Texas seems to be attractive..My biggest hope as a Canadian is to see the economy of the USA rise again.

My neighbor is from CA and he is telling me that the situation is just not great overthere.

Everyday I hear through the news and through this forum that our US friends are struggling. We do not want to see our friends struggling.

Let`s hope the best for the future.

Welcome to Texas.

swimming
hunting
racing
food
475 degree summer days
350 degree summer nights
chicks
low cost of living
great economy
big sky
deserts
hill country
Gulf of Mexico
lots of teaching jobs
lots of private sector work
meat
meat
and meat
tons of lakes
there's a tree or two somewhere.
Texas Music

Fixed a few for ya ;)

temps really depend on where in the state you live, stuff below applies to the Gulf Coast. Dallas is more like 100° / 70% during the summer & the Hill Country (Austin / San Antonio) 100° / 40-50%... besides, that's what A/C is for. :)

Welcome to Texas.

swimming
hunting
racing
fishing
GREAT food
95° F / 90% RH summer days
85° F / 85% RH degree summer nights
chicks
low cost of living
great economy
big sky
deserts
hill country
Gulf of Mexico
lots of teaching jobs
lots of private sector work
meat
meat
and meat
tons of lakes
there's a tree or two somewhere.
Texas Music

Her Aunt lives in the beautiful North East area of Tennessee and I cant wait to head over their and visit this summer hopefully. (I love country music too so that would be a great place to be!). Texas I would love to be at but she doesnt want to go that far away from our families and such (I consider myself lucky she is willing to move outside the tri-state! :rolleyes:).

Was thinking of seeing areas around Richmond, Harrisonburg (Shenandoah Valley area) Norfolk, Charlottesville in VA and Raleigh, Asheville, Durham in NC. Anyone know anything about Charlotte? Also probably head to Charleston and Savannah for a few days to enjoy the scenery while im headin down. I appreciate the replies fellas. Maybe if I can save enough money by getting out of NY/NJ I can make a visit during my travels and see some buicks! :biggrin:
Thanks!

-Rich

Consider Louisiana, too. We have a good jobs outlook, especially oil field and shipbuilding. Not nearly as sexy as Texas, but a good place to live and make a living. Like Texas, the national recession came here late, was not very deep, and has largely departed for the most part. I would look at the Southern areas from New Orleans through the Houma/Thibodaux/Morgan City triangle, on over to New Iberia and Lafayette, and on to Lake Charles and the East Texas area. Most areas offer everything from urban to very rural living arangements, depending on budget and tastes. Mild winters and HOT summers, and the occasional hurricane, too! Good Luck! Rudy.

Asheville rocks!

Rich, I live in Asheville and LOVE IT! I'd love to show you around if you decide to come this way. I can even set up my motorhome for you in a nearby campground if you'd like to avoid motels. PM me for a phone number if you decide to visit?
John McClung
Asheville, NC (God's country)

Yep, would have to agree! Asheville is a great place to live!!! We love it here!!:)

Rich, I live in Asheville and LOVE IT! I'd love to show you around if you decide to come this way. I can even set up my motorhome for you in a nearby campground if you'd like to avoid motels. PM me for a phone number if you decide to visit?
John McClung
Asheville, NC (God's country)

NH has no state income tax and taxes in general are pretty cheap. Something to considerCant imagine the pay is going to be anywhere near as good as NY,CT or NJ but cost of living is much cheaper.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback! John I will definitely let you know when I am coming down ( probably not until late summer) that would be great if you could show us around a little. I have only heard great things about it there. I'm not so worried about making as much money as I do here in NY cuz i have quite a bit saved up which I can put towards a lot more of a house in another state than I could here. In NY I couldnt even afford a 20% down payment whereas other states I could almost buy the damn house!:eek: We shall see. Thanks guys!

-Rich