Thinking of moving.. Opinions/info on places?

I have a friend near Charlotte. A lot of unsold homes. I'll PM you her email and you can decide if you want to ask her for the low down.

Last time I was thru Texas the wind was blowing so hard that big steak house on 40 was moving right along with us. j/k. But it was windy and the local said it's always that way.

One thing to review is home sale prices on craigs list. and job opportunities gives a decent picture of the cost of living vs wages.

I saw a chart listing the States and their taxes. Some like FL and NV have no income tax, but all the States are pretty even in total taxes. Some get it thru sales taxes, some property taxes etc but they all get about the same from one pocket or another.

One thing I noticed about TN is if you live in the City the property taxes are ~2x the property taxes in County areas. Weird to me, as out here if your area gets sucked into a city your PT only goes up about 10% as some county fees are dropped due to the city providing them.

Last time I was thru Texas the wind was blowing so hard that big steak house on 40 was moving right along with us. j/k. But it was windy and the local said it's always that way.

One thing to review is home sale prices on craigs list. and job opportunities gives a decent picture of the cost of living vs wages.

I saw a chart listing the States and their taxes. Some like FL and NV have no income tax, but all the States are pretty even in total taxes. Some get it thru sales taxes, some property taxes etc but they all get about the same from one pocket or another.

One thing I noticed about TN is if you live in the City the property taxes are ~2x the property taxes in County areas. Weird to me, as out here if your area gets sucked into a city your PT only goes up about 10% as some county fees are dropped due to the city providing them.

True!! TN has no income tax either, and low property taxes. Our sales tax is where they get their revenue.

CA= wonderful weather. Expensive to live, taxes and lots of govt intervention. Smog tests every 2 years.
KY= cheap to live, hunting, fishing. State tax and weird weather. No smog tests.
FL= hot in summer, warm in winter; can buy a house as cheap as $50k.. No state tax. lots of bugs. No smog tests.

Yea unfortunately there aint to many places your gonna avoid payin uncle sam.. like you guys mentioned, whether its state tax or property tax your gonnna pay somewhere.. I just cant afford the damn home prices in this area haha. i'd end up havin to live with my parents or my girls parents til we're 40 haha. thanks guys

-Rich

aah Florida

no state tax- unlike nj
no freezeing weather- unlike nj
no strict gun laws- unlike nj
you can jet-ski year round, especially during christmas--unlike nj
south beach restaurants where you can see the atlantic right in front of you-unlike nj
lots of teaching jobs here in MIA and in the homestead area very affordable housing. unlike nj
did i mention no strict gun laws :D,
you can drive your Turbo Buick year round-unlike nj

that was the good ;), now the bad

IT IS SO DAM HOT HERE!! IT FEELS LIKE HELL AT TIMES!!

of course thats miami, it's a little cooler in orlando, and i heard there is an awesome buick club there also.
well hope this helps, heat aside it is a nice place. but then again all those places you mentioned is nice also. good luck bud.:)

Sweet Home Alabama!!! Google 'Guntersville, AL'.... warm lake living, with a mild season change.... think our property taxes are the lowest in the nation... proper southern hospitality, 'damn' yankees welcome (I guess)....:D

New Mexico!

land of Dirt, Cactus, Wind, and Atomic Weapons.

we have nuthing to offer.

come on down to the land of entrapment!

A.j.

Not Durham , Asheville is very nice. Outskirt towns of Charlotte are also. Nc is good if you like drag racing I have 6 dragstrpis within an hour and a half of my house.

I just moved from the dirty South (Southern boy born and raised) to St. Paul, MN. Yeah its cold in the winter but there is plenty to do, skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, Fishing, etc etc and its gorgeous IMO. Summers are amazing, love the 4 seasons.

The statistics in the Dirty South on education, obesity, VD, teen pregnancy, high school dropouts, income, etc, etc dont lie. Didnt want to raise a family there.

Midwest has some great values and education, etc. Maybe a lil far north for ya, noit sure what you are considering. But, if you are raising a family I would strongly consdier the midwest.

I just moved from the dirty South (Southern boy born and raised) to St. Paul, MN. Yeah its cold in the winter but there is plenty to do, skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, Fishing, etc etc and its gorgeous IMO. Summers are amazing, love the 4 seasons.

The statistics in the Dirty South on education, obesity, VD, teen pregnancy, high school dropouts, income, etc, etc dont lie. Didnt want to raise a family there.

Midwest has some great values and education, etc. Maybe a lil far north for ya, noit sure what you are considering. But, if you are raising a family I would strongly consdier the midwest.

hay buddy are you serious ? MINNESOTA :eek:

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might like living in Minnesota.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might like living in minnesota.

If you see people wearing hunting clothes at special events, you might like to live in Minnesota.

If you know all four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you might live in Minnesota :D

bud minnesota better than florida :eek: think warm big man, still miss ya bud.:biggrin:

i wonder how this looks turbo-charged :biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• minnesota.jpg
    minnesota.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 79
i love the country
i wish i had the balls to up and move
two places i really liked whir Ocala, Florida, and Mechanics Burg, PA

hay buddy are you serious ? MINNESOTA :eek:

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might like living in Minnesota.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might like living in minnesota.

If you see people wearing hunting clothes at special events, you might like to live in Minnesota.

If you know all four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you might live in Minnesota :D

bud minnesota better than florida :eek: think warm big man, still miss ya bud.:biggrin:

i wonder how this looks turbo-charged :biggrin::biggrin:

Wut up dude? Hope all is well.

Yeah Yeah you forgot to mention in MIA speaking Spanish may be of a slight.....just a slight (sarcam meant) bit of importance. Maybe just a little:eek::eek::eek::)

Joo Noo Wut I meean Maain.

IMHO..... find a place where you can drive any car year round..... and you can live with the heat...........easy to find a job..... and near many 1/4 mile tracks.....and there is plenty of hunting land.....

Maybe somewhere in Arkansas..... or East Texas....