Thinking of buying low miles GN, need opinions, see pictures

klever

Hello all,
I have the oppotunity to buy a 87 GN 25k miles. My concern is that should I worry about the corrosion and cracks in the areas pictured(door hinge)? Not sure is that a big deal to worry about during ownership.
Thank you in advance
IMG_92991.jpg
IMG_9293.jpg
IMG_9273.jpg
IMG_9293.jpg
IMG_92991.jpg
IMG_92991.jpg
IMG_9293.jpg
IMG_9273.jpg
IMG_92741.jpg

There is a sealer paste that is used around the hinges. That usually dries up and cracks.

It’s hard to see in the pictures if that’s the problem.

I would look around at other cars. That way you get an idea of the Condition of other cars in the same price range.

But a well maintained/cared for car with 25,000 miles would be really great shape.
I would expect no rust no cracks.
Maybe just a few scratches.

It’s all about the conditions.
You could have a 15,000 mile car with bad maintenance and scratches.

On the other hand you could find a 40,000 mile car in mint condition.
Which also means not cheap.

I advise look around and see what you find

The paint in the door jam doesn't look original.

Those are some odd cracks too. Does the door sag when you open it? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the pin has a lot more than 25K worth of wear on it.

I agree with Earl, that paint by the striker looks repainted. Plus the headliner is a mess. How much for this car?

I don't remember if my door light switch is brass colored. That striker does look pretty worn. Headliner is typical.

My car has about 28 k on it. My headliner just now became loose. Bumper fillers just kinda have up the ghost last year. Always garage kept. (Heated) and covered. I also noticed a crack in the plastic dash board.
But none of the rust or cracks I see in those photos.

What about the stickers on the drivers side door.are they still there or a repaint.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I am posting a pic of my 1986 GN driver striker. Car has 78,xxx miles. Second owner for 27 years, not a repaint. That flash sure make the factory painting stand out !
His low mile car is not a stock paint job ?

Attachments

• Buick door striker.jpg
    Buick door striker.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 209
^Now that looks like the factory shitty paint job.

Don't think I've ever noticed the lack of paint behind the pin though.

Here are more pictures of her, $27k is the asking price. It has been repainted before. Based on want you guys are saying I'll just pass on it and keep looking. Thanks for the help.

IMG_9255.jpg
IMG_9279.jpg
IMG_9298.jpg
IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg
IMG_9253.jpg
IMG_9252.jpg
IMG_9253.jpg

Interior looks pretty clean. Factory paint was pretty bad. I'd rather have a 10-15k paint job already done than look at the factory job. I had my GN and my T painted to look much better than stock. What else you gonna buy for 27k that will hold its value in the short term? A pos KIA? You can't even buy a full size pickup with a V8 for 27K these days.

I guess I haven't looked at prices lately. But after looking around today the price of mine is going up.lol

Interior looks pretty clean. Factory paint was pretty bad. I'd rather have a 10-15k paint job already done than look at the factory job. I had my GN and my T painted to look much better than stock. What else you gonna buy for 27k that will hold its value in the short term? A pos KIA? You can't even buy a full size pickup with a V8 for 27K these days.

I only brought up the paint due to the low miles. With that amount coupled with the age being over 30 years along with cracks on hinges and strikers..... kinda tells me that car got clobbered years ago and patched up. Door jams don't typically get painted on a plain ole respray. And that paint job doesn't look like a fancy schmancy paint job with all the orange peel. Something don't jibe.

Keep in mine back in the late 80's these cars (and their parts) could be bought all day long. It's untelling how many got smashed up from long burnouts gone wrong (there was no dumbass carfax back then either)

The headliner doesn't bother me. That seems to happen more from sitting sealed up and not being used than mileage (that and the rear view mirror falling off the windshield).

Wow! Vinyl floor mats?? I’ve never seen a GN with vinyl floor mats. I always thought all GN’s had the black carpeted mats that said Grand National on them?

OP, my car has 90 some odd thousand miles on it and my door hinges don’t look anything like that. And it’s still wearing its original paint and headliner (with zero sag) as well. Not trying to get in your business but this car looks shady!

If you are looking for a clean low mileage example, then contact Ron Bailey on here (or join his Facebook page big worms rides). In that, he always has a few of our cars around (and a GNX and a couple Turbo T/A’s to mention a few) and i think he just loves the conquest of buying em up. Cause I’ve seen him sell quite a few for what I felt were very fair (some below market prices). And if he doesn’t have what you’re looking for, then I’m sure that he knows where to get it. And he does his homework on them too. So, I doubt you’ll find anything like what we see here!

Good luck with it and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could order them with rubber mats or carpeted mats. They did not come with Grand National on the mat from the factory. The passenger side mat had a small GM logo.

You could order them with rubber mats or carpeted mats. They did not come with Grand National on the mat from the factory. The passenger side mat had a small GM logo.

WOW! Thanks man! I had no idea as I’ve never seen one without the carpeted mats with Grand National printed across them! You see, Learn something new everyday around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! Thanks man! I had no idea as I’ve never seen one without the carpeted mats with Grand National printed across them! You see, Learn something new everyday around here.

It's pretty common for people to go nuts putting the Turbo 6 or Grand National on every removable part of the interior.

It's damn near a ricer thing on some cars.