Thinking about trading the GN for a Sandrail. What do you all think?

my1stgn

Well we havent really been using the GN a lot lately and I think with having a car that is more reliable, has more power and a lot more luxury features, we are thinking of trading the GN in for a Sandrail. What do you guys think? Im not too familiar with sandrails but we just want something that is offroad and we can take the family in to the sand dunes. Im looking at the ones running around $8k-$14k.

Also, do you all think I will make more money selling the GN or parting it out? Just another option.

How much are you looking to sale the car for? For the love of GOD please dont part it out...

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I totally understand wanting a rail, considered it myself, although not getting rid of the GN to do so. If you do get rid of it to get the rail, please, please, please don't part it out. These cars are going to slowly go away, so I am all for keeping them all together and preferably on the road.

What powerplant are you looking for in a rail?

Honestly I was gonna look at getting the GM 3.8 Series II engines (I have a Grand Prix so I know the engine) and then adding a turbo to it. The engine has 4 bolt mains and handle over 600hp without building the bottom end. I think that would be solid for a sandrail but I will just take it with whatever engine it has in it for now.

I dont want to part it out but if I am going to make $2k-$3k more parting it out then I might just do that! The car is solid as far as the engine, tranny and drive train go. The only bad thing about the car is the body. It has a lot of rust and needs some TLC. But I wouldnt hesitate to jump in the car and drive cross country if I had to! I am hoping to get around $12.5K for it but that might be wish fill thinking in this economy. What do rusty 87 Buick GN's go for now and days?

The car has stock bottom end, only bolts on's (bigger turbo, exhaust, THDP, LS1 MAF, FMIC,etc). Everything that I could do to it is done without going into the engine. 31 spline axles, eaton posi, driveshaft with solid u-joints (forgot the brand), DBB P-Trim 6176 turbo, Razor's alky kit, Gen 2 Translator, BSTC Boost controller, wideband O2, aluminum radiator, dual elec fans, RJC plate, 60 lb injectors, Poston headers, and thats all I can think of for now but Im sure there is more. So what would you look to sell this for? Thanks for your input guys!

Its not just buying the sandrail. You need an rv and a trailer also. All the glamis, dumont and pismo beach trips will take the whole weekend. To get a decent sandrail you need about 25k. If you want cheap reliable fun buy a rzr s4. Mostmost of the sandrails for sale and home built with no replacement parts and not setup properly. The dunes are harsh on the toys and if the toy fails that's the end of your weekend.

I dont think potatoes go that fast in the sand, so Im gonna go with a sandrail instead. Plus I already have another car that is faster than the GN with more luxury options that I can race.

I dont plan on buying a new sandrail, but I have seen some nice ones that are used going from $8K-$15K. For all those that are into sandrails, any advice as to what to look for? I already see that some have a solid front suspension where the steering is at and the more expensive ones have an "A arm" type suspension. Anything else to look for? thanks fellas! We were thinking about keeping the GN and getting a sandrail too but we dont have the room! So we have to get rid of one car. :(

I used to have a rail...it was Corvair powered. Had some fun with it then sold it. Several of my friends had rails too. Theirs were all VW and Porsche powered. They had some fun with them and sold them too.
The weekend trips are a blast....as long as you don't break...and you do need a trailer and tow vehicle that you can take on and off the sand as well.
I used a '56 F100 with the drive train out of a 5.0 Stang as my tow vehicle... ;)

For sure! We have an '11 Armada with a tow package. We used it to tow the GN to Fontana and had no issues. I figured my buddies Chevy 2500 Diesel would have towed the GN better than the Armada but I couldnt even tell I was towing the GN with the Armada. I was surprised. Felt just like the Chevy towing it. So I dont think the Armada would have an issue towing the sandrail. Just need to find one that comes with a trailer, used of course. But I plan on getting a sandrail for a few years then getting back into muscle cars when my son gets older. We might just look at renting a sandrail just to see what its like. Anyone want to rent me one for a weekend? Let me know! :D