They must be kidding right?

Originally posted by Jebadias
I don't think it's too bad either. Unfourtunatly that price tag kills it for me before I even look at it. Make a stripped down version for the low to mid $20K range and I'd give it a test drive.
I agree with this as well... the price tag does need to come down. That was one of the major selling points for the f-bird/camaro. You could have a V8, rear wheel, stick shift car for low $20k.

Originally posted by gn85
I agree with this as well... the price tag does need to come down. That was one of the major selling points for the f-bird/camaro. You could have a V8, rear wheel, stick shift car for low $20k.

F-Body has been around since...1967. Of course the sticker is going to be "high" It's kinda like starting all over again with a new model, to most don't remember the GTO. Especially younger folks. I'm sure the price will come down a tad after a few successful production years.

I like what Pontiac is doing with the GTO. But we all know if this new GTO had a big honkin' Turbo on it we'd all be in love with it!:D

Originally posted by Trbobuick
Im ashamed of you guys....... this is the generals first new attempt of an all around fun v8 sedan. You guys are killing the car before you have driven or seen it. I have been seeing this car around town for 2 years now it IMHO it looks nice.

Its no wonder people like us have been abandoned by the car makers. :rolleyes:

WORD.

At $33,000 this car looks to be a Hell of a value, and it has a really slick interior and smooth sophisticated styling to boot.

I remeber driving a loaded WS6 brand new in 2001 and it was only $1,000 or less off the price of this car, and this car is well above the old Fireturd quality, power, handling and convenience wise.

It also seems to have al the right stuff on paper including a balanced chassis front to back, 350HP with a 3.46 rear, the same six speed as the C5, a full independent suspension, and a host of interior features.

This car is already an infinitely better deal the grossly overpriced and poorly built cars GM was producing a year ago that ruined the Camaro and Firebird names.

If anything, it's a powerful premium coupe just like our beloved turbo Regals were back in the 1980s, and I've been waiting since then for an affordable car like them to be produced, and now one is finally arriving.

A coupe with comfortable seating for four, a luxurious interior, plenty of power under the hood, AND it should handle very well.

The new GTO is more than worthy to carry the name, and hopefully it will help Pontiac muscle shake the mullet crowd and poor quality image the Firebird accrued for the brand.

Originally posted by TriShield
WORD.
It also seems to have al the right stuff on paper including a balanced chassis front to back, 350HP with a 3.46 rear, the same six speed as the C5, a full independent suspension, and a host of interior features.

the six speed is actually the stronger close ratio unit out of the Z06

May not look like an old goat, but is that a bad thing? Grand Am I can see, but with it pushing 350 hp with a 6 spd thru the rear wheels, I would bet it will kick the pants on any other factory goat, and pass gas pumps with a smile too.

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
May not look like an old goat, but is that a bad thing? Grand Am I can see, but with it pushing 350 hp with a 6 spd thru the rear wheels, I would bet it will kick the pants on any other factory goat, and pass gas pumps with a smile too.

It shares vague styling cues with the other cars in Pontiac's current lineup. That's a pretty common practice with all auto brands.

Friends of mine have seen the car in person, and testify that the pictures don't do it justice, and that people will know it's a Pontiac, but won't confuse it with any other car Pontiac currently makes. I've been told the car is quite a head turner, and I will know for sure at this year's Dream Cruise.

The '04 actually does share vague styling cues with the original 1964 GTO itself, including the horizontal quad headlamps, twin port grill, and general body style. The difference is the '04 looks just like a decades newer version of that car, which way it should look.

Retro is a fad, the GTO should not be a car that sells because it looks just like a car made decades ago, because that isn't going to last past one production cycle. It should be a modern resurrection with the performance of the legend, and then some.

I think GM is going to deliver, and I can't wait. :cool:

Let's not forget, this is NOT a "new" model.
It is stronly derived from an Australian model that has been in production for awhile.

LEAVE IT IN OZ

The car is an overpriced underperforming bland little bean, an over-hyped imposter, PRECISELY like the '74 (not the'64)!

The concern inside GM is that the so-called "new" GTO will have such bad sales that the hoped-for reborn Camaro project will be killled.

Bob Klutz hasn't added anything of any significance to GM's line-up yet, & demeans/squanders its rich marque history with fluff & mirrors like the amorphously unremarkable imported faux GTO.

'04 GTO

Almost forgot what one automotive magazine writer said about the '04 GTO:

"I've seen more appealing creations left in public toilets."

LOLOLOLOL! :) :eek: :)

I have no idea what car you guys are looking at. That one looks cool as he#@. When the idea of bringing back the GTO name first came up, did any of you REALLY think it would have this level of performance gear? I for one pictured the nice but not exactly overwhelming supercharged 3800, 4 speed auto (sorry - manual gearbox not available).... This is the first year and it already has all the good stuff in it. You didn't really expect a bigblock with a 4 speed muncie did you? I like the looks too. I guess for some, there is no car good enough to carry the GTO name. My only concern is the price. About 5 grand too much.
Don't get me wrong, I like some imports, but there is no doubt in my mind that the auto magazines have a hard-@n for anything imported. That same car with BMW styling cues and a BMW emblem would be recieved as a styling/performance bargain.
You wanted rear wheel drive, you wanted manual tranny, you wanted serious v8 power. The General gives it to you and nothing but complaints. Yeesh!

Don't get me wrong, I like some imports, but there is no doubt in my mind that the auto magazines have a hard-@n for anything imported.

There's a reason for this and it's not just general bias.
American car companys should do some research and find out why (pppsssst - the general public knows)

It's common knowledge that several years ago, car magazines gave glowing reviews to the Toyota Carolla but panned the Chevy Prizm. Two cars that I believe were built side by side on the assembly line. I understand that there were some real quality issues in the not too distant past, but I've been car shopping lately (both import and domestic) and there isn't too much of a difference these days especially once you get out of the real ecomony car market.