They must be kidding right?

Still looks like a Grand Prix to me. What a POS. GM should be ashamed of putting the GTO emblems on that car.

Looks like a pontiac front end slapped on an Accord (rear end looks very much like an Accord, IMO). Also reminds me of some models from Dodge.

Definitely not worthy of the GTO badging though, at least style wise. The LS1 does sound pretty attractive under the hood.

UUGGHHH....

From the back it kinda looks like a Stang...as well as from the side. From the front it still looks like a Grand Am to me. I guess this is what happens when a Mustang and a Grand Am mate!:eek:

OVER MSRP:confused: :( ---you gotta be kidding---the car will be lucky to be worth $25k when it is a year old----just crazy.

Geoff

Originally posted by 2 QK 4 U
c'mon guys face it, we're just getting old...:eek:
I'm 21 and I think thats things horrible. Its just another classic name badge put on a new pos. I wouldn't pay the 500 that the bids start at. Lets just hope they don't bring back the GN. They'd ruin that too

To be honest it does have some cues from the Mustang, I'll agree. But sometimes I get the feeling that people won't be happy no matter what GM does. When I heard there was a GTO, I thought to myself... oh great, GM is going to have a wrong wheel drive with fancy badges and expect it to sell. Or worse yet, some rebadge from one of their Asian shared partners. (I'm thinking of the LeMans of the mid-90s that was such a disgrace to the LeMans of 60s and 70s.

But this actually sounds like it has some grunt under the hood. It's rear wheel drive. It even comes in choice of tranny... stick or auto. Come on... it's not too often that GM rolls something off the line with a stick shift. Either that, or you have to go through an act of Congress to get what you want with stick. So I have to hand GM a few kudos. Perhaps the F-bird and Camaro weren't hacking it any more. I sure as heck hated seeing the legendary names sent to the abyss. But at least they have something.

Now, as far as PRE-ORDERING them on E-bay for some crazy price above MSRP, that may be clever, but there's no way in heck I'd fall for that. I'm sorry.. first I want to see the car in person. I want to drive it, live with it for a few days and everything before I think of breaking out the wallet. And at that.. I'm a little hesitant about buying a first year run as well... that's a recall waiting to happen.

So with that being said... I'll just sit back and watch the bidding numbers fly.

Originally posted by gn85
But sometimes I get the feeling that people won't be happy no matter what GM does.

Dunno about that. The new Caddy XLR looks like a great car and the reviews are gushing so far:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=622

That new GTO looks like it has some decent hardware, including IRS, but the looks just aren't there, not worthy of the GTO name in my opinion. To me it just looks just like a Cavalier with extra *bling* tacked on.

It was definately a rush job to get sheetmetal on it for it's debute but I hear next year it will look 100% better with styling changes.

I wanted to be excited about the gto coming back but I knew i'd be in for a disappointment when I saw it. And guess what I am disappointed. Offering a 6 speed does help a little. I'll give them that.

Originally posted by Two Lane
That fraudulent amorphous misnomer weighs 3800 pounds! :eek:

So did my 73 Chevelle Laguna land yacht! Where the hell does all that weight come from? I thought the motor was aluminum:confused:

I think it is Bad A$$. If I had the funds I would be one of the first in line to order one.
I think it's funny that everybody complains that GM doesn't offer any rear-drive performance cars other than the Corvette, but when GM finally builds one, everybody compares it to the '64 GTO and does nothing but find fault with it. What did a 2000 Camaro have in common with a '67, other than rear-drive, V-8 and a name? Hell, it wasn't even built in the USA!! As it has been said MANY times before, this car is a filler until the new Camaro and Trans Am can be designed and built. But hopefully GM will keep it around and possibly introduce a Chevelle and maybe even a Skylark (GS) to go along with the GTO. I do agree, though, that it is way overpriced.

Let's just give Bob Lutz, the GTO and GM a chance.

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
So did my 73 Chevelle Laguna land yacht! Where the hell does all that weight come from? I thought the motor was aluminum:confused:

ABS, traction control, electric windows/locks, airbags, seatbelt tensioners, navigation computers, stereo gear, etc., etc., etc....

Im ashamed of you guys....... this is the generals first new attempt of an all around fun v8 sedan. You guys are killing the car before you have driven or seen it. I have been seeing this car around town for 2 years now it IMHO it looks nice.

Its no wonder people like us have been abandoned by the car makers. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's too bad either. Unfourtunatly that price tag kills it for me before I even look at it. Make a stripped down version for the low to mid $20K range and I'd give it a test drive.