There is a problem with almost EVERY 2004R on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Joe,for the last 6 months I have been using a stiffer spring from a different trans that gets the job done.I finally got around to having some made so I am making them available.10.00 for a spring that will probably give that back in gas mileage in a short time.You cant go wrong.

WOW!! Very interesting find Chris. Good info on here and I, for one, am glad that you share. Goes to show that when I pull apart a factory unit (like the wife's 442) that the band is just worn thin and not a bit of discoloration. After building some and going back thru them a couple years down the line, the band has a dark tint to it but still had plenty of grip. Makes me wonder what my band looks like with the stock spring and your billet servo that is in my trans. Still kicks ass but makes me wonder how it looks. I will be buying some of these springs for sure.

WOW!! Very interesting find Chris. Good info on here and I, for one, am glad that you share. Goes to show that when I pull apart a factory unit (like the wife's 442) that the band is just worn thin and not a bit of discoloration. After building some and going back thru them a couple years down the line, the band has a dark tint to it but still had plenty of grip. Makes me wonder what my band looks like with the stock spring and your billet servo that is in my trans. Still kicks ass but makes me wonder how it looks. I will be buying some of these springs for sure.
Good observations,there is also that dark line around the center on those with the stock GN servo and spring but a bigger than stock boost valve.

Chris, I'll be calling you soon, I'll need another .555 boost valve and will probably get your new CK kit as I have the old one with separator plate marked with an X. I understand the newer kit is better suited for a dual fed 2004R. I'll also want this spring. Good find.

Hey Chris,
I just got my tranny back from Vinny a month ago. Should I ask if he knows about this issue or just get the spring and put it in?

Thanks
Coach

Hey Chris,
I just got my tranny back from Vinny a month ago. Should I ask if he knows about this issue or just get the spring and put it in?

Thanks
Coach

Same question here. Gonna have mine gone through here soon.

Wondering if I should do this mod as well.

..............The only fix is to attach the pin to the servo or use a spring that has been the real correction for this.....................

Any advantage to the spring over attaching the pin to the servo (like in the old 200 units) ?

Bob

chris718 said:
... however the bad thing about the 200 one piece servo that is now apparent is there is nothing to kick it off completely on a 2/1 when it is designed w/out a knock off spring.

Bob. Here is Chris's answer from a previous post.

David

springs are in stock .10.00 each,every trans should be updated.Is it dangerour because you bought a trans from us or someone elsa that doesnt have it?The amount of drag depends on the spring that was installed,andthe boost valve that was used.It can either cause band failure or horsepower loss but they all will drag.Everyone will drag if the boost valve is larger than .471 and it has any of the 3 stock springs.

Hi Chris,
I dont mean to step in on your thread but need to reply as I have had many phone calls after you posted. I would like to respond here as hopefully it will help keep me off the phone to discuss this problem with my customers. I have been using a one piece servo for about 7 years and a heavy return spring in all my units. I have also been installing hi tension return springs in the direct drum for about 3 years on all stage 2 and stage 3 builds. My units will not have a band dragging problem described as this has been corrected. I do not dispute Chris's info as I agree with his explaintion. I also agree if using the servo type he describes you should consider the return spring he is offering.

The servos that would fall under this category with a tv boost valve larger than .471(largest ever offered in a 2004rwith a matching calibrated spring)are all CK servos,all Buick GN and TTA 694 servos,All factory issue 2004r servos ,All Superior "Super Servos",all of the so called "Case stretcher "servos,All of the PTS Xtreme servos I have seen,and All of the Art Carr servos I have seen.The only servo I have been told has the pin besides the factory 1piece servo is the Sonnax "super hold "servo.I will get on the website and take a look.The servo in the aftermatket with the largest 2nd gear piston id the CK type w/ 3.005 apply area.The smaller diameter oring on the cover allows the opiston to be machined larger and offer more clamping force than any other available.This is the reason I didnt do the pin first.To give an explanation and a reasonably priced correction.We are redesigning our servo and will have another truly revolutionary design shortly.

weird a ran a back yard rebuilt for 5 yrs no problems drove all over sc an nc an ran in darlington and greeleville same weeks ... i did buy one of your converters that took a shit 100 miles switched to pts no more problems ... i got yours from postons told them it was defected they said no an it was

weird a ran a back yard rebuilt for 5 yrs no problems drove all over sc an nc an ran in darlington and greeleville same weeks ... i did buy one of your converters that took a shit 100 miles switched to pts no more problems ... i got yours from postons told them it was defected they said no an it was

what does this have to do with the servo return spring?

If you have an issue, start a thread in the appropriate forum. (Or contact the vendor directly and work it out)

Bob

If the back yard rebuild didnt include a larger boost valve then you had nothing to worry about.I have not dealt with Poston in close to 6 years,sorry to hear the converter didnt work out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.