The Mathematician's daughters

lyonsd

Two mathematicians meet in the street and start to talk.

"I heard you already have three children now."

"Yes, that's right, I have three daughters."

"How old are they?"

"Well, if you add up their years, you get 13 and if you multiply their years then you get the same number as the house number over there."

"Really! But that's yet not enough for me."

"That's right, I have to add that my eldest daughter has a dog."

"I see, now everything is clear to me."

:confused: HUH??? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just too slow. Or maybe because it's Friday and I'm too excited about the weekend I'm not taking the time to really think about it. Enlighten please.

OK, nevermind. I thought there was some kind of hidden funny part. I guess I could have figured the math part out if I wanted.

The house number is 36. 2x2=4 4x9=36

I took every combination of 3 numbers that add up to 13 and multiplied the 3 numbers to get a product.

I noticed that only 2 of the combinations came out to the same number. 2+2+9=13 and 1+6+6=13

So that's the only way the guy could have been needing more info if either one of those was right.

Then he said my "eldest daughter" which implies there is only one eldest daughter so the out of the two choics above, only the 2+2+9 combo could be right.

Make sense?

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Guess I'm not too bright.

Why couldn't it be for instance 2 + 5 + 6?

Because the product of those numbers would be 60. In all the combinations of 3 numbers that add up to 13, there are only 2 combinations that produce the same number when you multiply the 3 numbers together. That would be the only way the 2nd mathematician could be confused about the "number on the house."

Does that help?