The fun of purchasing a GN

Dreamcar86

The post is a quasi engine tech post. Not intended to bore other members just a venting session about my purchase. Two years ago I purchased the GN that I am driving today.
First off it is a very nice car inside and out. I remember walking up to it and thinking this is one of the cleanest GN's I have seen since wanting to own one. The guy opens the door and I look inside and think wow what a clean original interior. It was obvious that he appreciated the car for what it was and kept it in a garage and drove it on nice sunny days.
At this point I inquire about the drive train. I am told that it has a new engine with less than 4,000 miles. It was built by a reputable mechanic who installed billet main caps, polished the crank and installed hypereutectic pistons:confused: and stock heads with stainless valves.
Well one week ago I am making my second pass at the track when a head gasket blows. I decide to get it home and pull the engine to check out the damage and prepare to install ported heads. Here is where the fun starts. The engine is now on the stand and I pop the oil pan off to inspect the damage. Low and behold there are stock main caps. Nice! All along thinking we had a sold bottom end. Now we are looking a little closer at everything and what do we find? A broken timing chain tensioner laying in the pan. This is getting better by the minute. Lets take a look at the heads. Off with the intake and there is the correct gasket but why is it all bent upward forming a tent style shape. It was not even installed correctly. Wait are those stock valves? Hell yes! At this point it looks like the only thing that was correct was the .030 over bore and hypereutectic pistons.
Now don't get me wrong as I am a big boy and this is how the world works but it's just a real let down when you think you have one thing and find out it is a whole different story.
Anyway I am going to build a rock solid engine this go around that can withstand a little abuse without falling apart.
Ahh what therapy. Now I have vented and can get back to work.:cool:

man that really sucks. i fell your pain but dont fell to bad your not the only one this has happend to. i know there is a local guy that had the same problem with his motor. i know my motor has all the good stuff. i trust my engine builder and i just happen to drop the pan and everything is there.

That sucks:mad: either the guy you bought it from got screwed, or he new all along and screwed you, either way it sucks that you have to rebuild the motor,but at least youll know what you have then,good luck...

That does suck..

Now that you are doing it you will know its good