The Elusive Bates Car Show Awards…….

carlsbadGN

For those of you who won awards at last year’s Bates car show, you will probably receive them at this year’s show at Bates Nut Farm. This information was just received from Steve Hurst in response to my recent inquiry.

The more I think about this, the more it pi*ses me off. I spent the bucks and effort to show my car last year and it isn’t right that an award would roll around a year later. It’s not like intricate or expensive trophies were to be designed and presented. I know Mr. Hurst had some personal issues, but come on, it doesn’t take much to place an order and mail the darn things out. He had the energy to plan the 2010 show but couldn’t get around to finishing the 2009 show. Sounds to me like cheapness or disinterest, or a combination of both, got the better of him.

I notice that the flyer for the current Bates show doesn’t mention any awards. Looks like that will be the excuse not to send any out this year.

For those of you who won awards at last year’s Bates car show, you will probably receive them at this year’s show at Bates Nut Farm. This information was just received from Steve Hurst in response to my recent inquiry.

The more I think about this, the more it pi*ses me off. I spent the bucks and effort to show my car last year and it isn’t right that an award would roll around a year later. It’s not like intricate or expensive trophies were to be designed and presented. I know Mr. Hurst had some personal issues, but come on, it doesn’t take much to place an order and mail the darn things out. He had the energy to plan the 2010 show but couldn’t get around to finishing the 2009 show. Sounds to me like cheapness or disinterest, or a combination of both, got the better of him.

I notice that the flyer for the current Bates show doesn’t mention any awards. Looks like that will be the excuse not to send any out this year.

Amen to that and good luck getting one, just because you win it doesnt mean your going to get it.:biggrin:

Yea,
It's kinda a bummer that for what ever reason (health, money, being lazy, etc), it takes Steve for ever to get the plaques mailed out.

With that being said. For a good part of twenty years, Steve has put on the biggest and best organized Turbo Buick show on the West Coast. For this I am most grateful. This may be news to some of you, but I don't think he's getting rich doing this stuff. Even when the BGNRA was in full swing. The yearly membership was 25 bucks. Heck, I think that the yearly postage alone on his news letters added up to more than that. Every year, there are less and less of these cars. For those of us that have been around them for a while know that there are far less clubs, shows, and get togethers then there was ten years ago.

So, BEFORE you go pissing in the Turbo Buick punch bowl, you might just want to look around the room to see if theres anything else to drink;).

We are very fortunate to have a small hand full of people here that include Lou, Ralph, Steve and a few more, that love these cars enough to organize a bunch of South Western, ungrateful misfits.

Hey Steve,

If you read this, Thanks for all the years of being the corner stone of Turbo Buick get togethers. If it takes you another five years to get me my plaque, I'm cool with that.

However, If you need help setting up tables at the show, you could just bring mine.:D

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Hey Mike:
I thought about what I was doing before I hit the “submit reply” button. Steve Hurst has been around for a long time and has done a lot of good for the Turbo Buick community. However, the sun doesn’t rise over his house, and Turbo Buicks will not fade away if he decided to do other things.

It’s not my intent to piss in the Turbo Buick punch bowl over a cheap plaque that is my due. Rather, I am very irritated over Mr. Hurst’s response to simple, genuine inquiries from board members asking when the plaques would be sent out. Last fall, he stated that they would be delivered after the first of the year. When that slipped, we were told the items were ordered in March and an April delivery was set. Then, when that didn’t work, he tried the aggressive approach to any inquiries. One member, who light heartedly advised another member to be satisfied with a handshake and photo rather than an award, was publically belittled by Steve. Soon thereafter, I received a PM from Mr. Hurst pointing out how uncool I was.

I wanted the cheap, first place plaque, for which I paid and earned, for reasons which are not important here. I did not begrudge Mr. Hurst the extended time he required to order the darn awards and get them mailed out. I expected a long delay, as I and every award winner, waited 9 months for the 2008 wards to show up. But, I did not expect to be simply blown off, with a shuffling of the wrist, and basically told to shut up.

Mr. Hurst initiated this issue by copping a cavalier attitude, backed by no action. He was able to plan the upcoming Buick show way back in February but wasn’t able to order last year’s awards until March. Seems to me that organizing a show is much more intensive than ordering 2 dozen cheap plaques. When he publicaly called people “uncool “ for inquiring about awards that they earned, and basicsally told them to drop the subject, he put himself on the spot to deliver the goods. You can’t have it both ways- if you tell a bunch of guys to stop bugging you, then you better be able to deliver.

Finally, the argument that someone is untouchable because they provide goods or services to the Turbo Buick crowd is bogus. People and vendors come and go and they provide the things we need. As long as the demand is present, someone will step in to fill the need. When they no longer serve a useful function, then it’s time for them to move aside. If Mr. Hurst no longer wants to fully plan a social event, he should step aside or accept the assistance that so many guys generously offer.

So, I’ve had my turn at the microphone, and I fully expect to be figuratively bayoneted for pissing in the ‘ole Turbo Buick punch bowl. But you know what? I don’t care. I love showing my car, and the Bates show is a great venue with good cars and super people. But my car and I won’t be participating this year for obvious reasons (besides, someone else will get a handshake and photo for winning first place in stock class :>). Oh, and I’m still waiting on my plaque.

thanx

to all the buick guys that do LOTS for the buick community.

hey we need some kool ****rs for the event and or for the southwester sec,,,,,, any body have some ideas??
sponsers Lou,archie,donnie???

thanx

to all the buick guys that do LOTS for the buick community.

hey we need some kool ****rs for the event and or for the southwester sec,,,,,, any body have some ideas??
sponsers Lou,archie,donnie???

Looks like you were "bleeped"....

I was looking into getting some shirts made...

Any interest?

Ralph was BLEEPED????????

OH MY!

you ok Ralph?
did it hurt?

Looking forward to seeing all of you @ Bates

(Ralph, you need to show me where you got bleeped!)

Yea,
It's kinda a bummer that for what ever reason (health, money, being lazy, etc), it takes Steve for ever to get the plaques mailed out.

With that being said. For a good part of twenty years, Steve has put on the biggest and best organized Turbo Buick show on the West Coast. For this I am most grateful. This may be news to some of you, but I don't think he's getting rich doing this stuff. Even when the BGNRA was in full swing. The yearly membership was 25 bucks. Heck, I think that the yearly postage alone on his news letters added up to more than that. Every year, there are less and less of these cars. For those of us that have been around them for a while know that there are far less clubs, shows, and get togethers then there was ten years ago.

So, BEFORE you go pissing in the Turbo Buick punch bowl, you might just want to look around the room to see if theres anything else to drink;).

We are very fortunate to have a small hand full of people here that include Lou, Ralph, Steve and a few more, that love these cars enough to organize a bunch of South Western, ungrateful misfits.

Hey Steve,

If you read this, Thanks for all the years of being the corner stone of Turbo Buick get togethers. If it takes you another five years to get me my plaque, I'm cool with that.

However, If you need help setting up tables at the show, you could just bring mine.:D

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard
Mike, I thought you were more anxious than that to get that 1st place plaque in your hands. After all, you did work hard for it and are very deserving of it.
I wish Steve would realize that some people do put a great importance on having earned those plaques, and would stop treating the matter so nonchalantly. It certainly is not helping the event out.

Mike, I thought you were more anxious than that to get that 1st place plaque in your hands. After all, you did work hard for it and are very deserving of it.
I wish Steve would realize that some people do put a great importance on having earned those plaques, and would stop treating the matter so nonchalantly. It certainly is not helping the event out.

Amen...

Going with the vibe....where do we get copies of the pictures taken with the awards?

Steve, any way to have those emailed(assuming of course they were digital)?

Thanks,
Eric

WHY WAS I BLEEPED???????

did i spell something wrong?

kool shirts!!

got your message, shirts for the bate show are a no go. I never worked out anything with steve and I am not going to intrude on someone else's show. but sense you seem very encouraged for some new shirts I can tell you what, I do have my 2nd official shirt design in the works as we speak. I am also looking into some short of clear like a scotch guard treatment or something, because my first shirts didn't seem to hold up that well after the 100th wash, colors seemed to fade some. I had to use the same type of guard when redying some interior seats due to the fact they would fade, but it was because of sun exposure.

i might show up @ the bates show to check things out, haven't been in years.

we should make some with a picture of some buicks and a 6 logo maybe cali?

hey darkcyde were do you live? im in mission viejo.

Is just good marketing, come back next year to get your plaque.

Maybe I'll see some of you at the Van Nuys show otherwise its just me and 400 other GM cars. If anyone is attending shoot me a PM

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 126
carlsbad GN:

While I am no longer a SW Region "San Diego" crew misfit, it seems that, well, you're complaining about something kinda trivial. I mean, I won a plaque too when I attended. It took forever to receive and, true, it was just a cheap little plaque... (They ALWAYS take forever- that's part of the legend:p)

However, I have to say that whether or not Mr. Hurst is the driving force behind this show, it is hands down the BEST buick show I have ever attended. I've been to BG twice in the past few years and it sucked compared to Bates and cost $40 just to get in and wander around...

Listen to Mike aka Spoolfool2, this isn't about bowing to hurst or any other turbo buick "vendor", it's about one of the last places that "we" (turbobuick people" can all get together and bs about our stupid cars all day and have a reasonably fun day.

Winning a plaque or trophy is great but I don't think I'd go so far as to complain and then boycott such a great event because it's never been delivered... (It's just a piece of wood)

Just my .02:cool: