The 81 Sport Omega, change in direction. LS4, AWD, F40 6spd.

Brad Zeidler

I've had the car for almost 5 years & I was going to keep it simple lo-tech low budget buuuttt...... Anyway, after a little discussion & research I've decided to go in a completely ....unique.. direction. fieroguru on ls1tech was doing of coarse his 88 Fiero with the 5.3LS4 from an 06 Impala SS, the F40 6 speed manual from an 06 Pont. G6 GTP which has become a popular swap. After some discussion he mentioned Saab 9-3's used the F40 & all wheel drive. After doing some searching I found an AWD transfer unit so it's on!!!!!! It's going to be a bit tight I'll admit, the engine banks will be the big issue, not the transmission/transfercase. I got my LS4 from an 06 GP GXP. I'm not sure what to do for the rear suspension yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I get that far. Tha Saab Haldex rear differential is too complicated to bother with. I have a couple ideas but like I said that will be a bit later in the build. First I need to get the drivetrain nestled into the front of the car, then I'll worry about the rear. I couldn't resist after the idea got planted in my head. I figured, "why not?" I can do this. Just because I think err, know I can. I've gotten the exhaust manifolds I want to use from Doug Rippie which moved out to Waverly, MN (my old stompin grounds). I was suprised to find out the one manifold that is a new takeoff is from a Vette, it doesn't look very efficient but it's what I felt would work best on the front bank between the radiator/engine. In keeping with the cars original paint scheme White/Charcoal met. with those big stripes/graphics I am plannning on a Lexus pearl white/Mazda pearl grey.
IMG194.jpg
IMG053.jpg
IMG271.jpg
IMG134.jpg
IMG135.jpg
FB_IMG_13678940656296331.jpg

Picked up the Saab transfer case last weekend. It'll bolt to the 6 speed but I may have to pickup a Saab F40 6 speed for the differential or shell out for a new limited slip carrier (about $1100) that has the splines to couple the transfer case shaft.
IMG165#1.jpg