Thanks to Jack Cotton, Otto, Billy Anderson from Avon

ijames

Avon wanted me to post this for him, to thank everyone who helped him win TSO at BG this year:

First, thanks to Billy for all the building and tuning and prep work on the car to make it as fast and consistent as it is. Second, thanks to Jack Cotton first for loaning me a new pair of slicks to try out so I could strip the teeth off the ring and pinion :)D ) when it did hook up, and then for Jack and son Brian helping to tear it all down to see what was broken. And for still loaning me a set of slicks even after Jack decided to run TSO after all. Then, after a quick trip to Nashville for new gears, thanks to Otto for helping to get them installed in time for Saturday qualifying even while trying to get all the gremlins worked out of his own car. And, thanks to all the others who helped out as well that I'm just too tired to remember.

Finally, a big thank you to Bobby Don for being a great gentleman and insisting on settling the issue on the track by re-running the first round after we both red-lighted even though I left first (and to Jim C. for letting the drivers handle it).

Signed,
Avon

[PS by Carl: And in typical Avon fashion, he drove back to Maryland Saturday night and was at MIR on Sunday for the NOPI event eliminations, but the other drivers protested that he shouldn't be allowed in since he didn't make any qualifying passes Saturday even though he was allowed one on Sunday, so that was that. Sure shows the difference between our ideal of "Going Fast with Class" and, um, the rest.]

Congrats on the win Aaron. You did great and it was good to see you and the car.

Patrick

Avon is a very good driver and wins ALOT of races and I am not surprised he took TSO in BG. He has a fresh bullet in the car and finally after all of my preaching, he is saving it for when it is needed! The last engine had over 350 passes on it!!!!!

thanks to the guys who helped him out, I appreciate it and Thanks to Bobby for great sportsmanship.

I am interested in what class he runs in the NOPI event's? I have been waiting to see a buick on the tv show. Great job again Avon!

Tell it like it really is.

I have to disagree with Bill, Bobby was not showing "great" sportsmanship because where I come from (and everywhere else) he who red lights first, loses; period. That's drag racing 101. Bobby Don must be a Saint.:biggrin:

Unlimited Street

That is awesome, I guess for them to try to keep you out you must be competitive.... I was wondering how our cars would match up to the V8 turbo cars. I read the rules yesterday that could be interesting....

Cool deal, represent the buick guys:cool:

I have to disagree with Bill, Bobby was not showing "great" sportsmanship because where I come from (and everywhere else) he who red lights first, loses; period. That's drag racing 101. Bobby Don must be a Saint.:biggrin:

Bill, from what I gather, neither one actually red lighted. They BOTH left before the tree was activated. At the end of the pass, Bobby failed to go over the scale which would have been an automatic DQ. I wasnt there so I dont know this to be 100% accurate but it is the story I have! They both agreed to race over.

Bill, from what I gather, neither one actually red lighted. They BOTH left before the tree was activated. At the end of the pass, Bobby failed to go over the scale which would have been an automatic DQ. I wasnt there so I dont know this to be 100% accurate but it is the story I have! They both agreed to race over.

Bill,

Both gentlemen were final staged with both lights lit.
Avon left first (Red-Light) followed by Bobby (Red-Light) before activation of tree.

Technically due to the Red-Light & Non-Scaling both rightfully should have been DQ'ed.

Even though they agreed to re-run, it was the rest of the racers in the class that allowed that to happen. Cal questioned the remaining racers if it was ok to do this, and no one complained.

So it was the sportsmanship of the other racers that allowed things to shake out as they did.

Joe