TH-350 From Hell

Shane

I have a 83 Regal T-Type that the previous owner installed a TH-350 with a Street / Strip shift kit and some valve work done to it. It shifted really hard, but there was a problem with the kickdown cable, as it didn't always like to downshift on the freeway.
Anyway, I was returning from Chicago to Detroit, when the car began to make this horrid rattling noise. It did this for a bit, then stopped. This said to me, Bad Tranny, as I had blown the TH-200-4R on my old Monte.
So, I had the thing towed to the shop, and after a few days, the mechanic told me that it wasn't a tranny, it was the flex plate which apparently connects the fly wheel and the torque convertor (I know jack **** about transmissions).
Anyways, when I got the car back home, the extra 100 miles, I noticed ticks with it. First of all the neutral safety switch is messed up, it will only start in park no in neutral. Secondly, and majorly, the tranny doesn't like to shift into gear. I'll put it into D and it will act like it is in Neutral, until I gun the thing up to like 4000 RPM, at which it will catch and run like normal. It had only done this to me three times in a week, so I wasn't worried about it. That is until it did it to me at a stop light at a busy intersection.
What can I do, what is wrong with it?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pump wiped, fluid level low, or pressure Regulator valve stuck.

One of the three related.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

I had the same exact problem with my TH350 in my truck.

It wouldn't start moving in D unless I revved the hell out of it and then it suddenly "caught".

I took it apart and found the pump to be very badly scored.

Might want to check that. ;)

OK, thanks y'all.
But, how do I check the pump, and if it is scored, I need a new trans, right?

You check the pump by removing it from the transmission and disassembling it.

If it's scored, you'll need another pump, not necessarily a new transmission. (It would be prudent to inspect the rest of the transmission out while it's out on the bench though.)

Is it possibly the shop who pulled the trans to change the flexplate, messed up the linkage, may explain problems with the neutral switch?