Terry Houston down pipe ?

dp

Why were they the best ?

Something I am missing here.

Bending thin wall tubing stainless, carbon steel, whatever to clear a car body I wouldnt think is that hard.
Is there something special about connecting it to a turbo ?
I am not saying Im going into business to bend 40 or 50 pipes a year, but as a designer I see nothing that hard about the design.
I do this sort of thing for a living so dont blow me off so fast.
Not car piping, but pharmacuetical stuff where bending, welding piping is an everyday thing.

It must be ill fitting crap, versus someone who took their time and did it right
with a fairly high standard for quality control

What happened to TERRY HOUSTON

Was that an individual or a company name ?

For all of those to about to slam me, I am only asking.
There definetly is something with those pipes because they do fly off the
FOR SALE section almost as fast as they are posted.

Just curious.

Steve

Steve everyone buy these dp because there collector items there going to worth bucks some day.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have a Terry Houston down-pipe on my car and I would never think of replacing it with something else. I just don't know what I will do for another down-pipe if I buy another turbo brick.

Steve everyone buy these dp because there collector items there going to worth bucks some day.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You seen what the 3.5" THDPs are going for?!:eek:

Even though "they say" I wouldn't gain anything, I'd love to get a 3.5" THDP to replace the 3" THDP I currently have..... Wish I could have bought a few extras when I bought the 3" for an investment;)

Haven't seen much feedback for the G-Body parts 3.5" DP...

You seen what the 3.5" THDPs are going for?!:eek:

Even though "they say" I wouldn't gain anything, I'd love to get a 3.5" THDP to replace the 3" THDP I currently have..... Wish I could have bought a few extras when I bought the 3" for an investment;)

Haven't seen much feedback for the G-Body parts 3.5" DP...

i never know there was 3.5

Nick I am curious how much?? I would love to build downpipes for a living. $30,000?? Looking for some thing to do thats all.:)

I was lucky enough to purchase one before I even new they were so good. It was one of the first upgrades I did. Fit was perfect. I find it interesting too how they seem to sell so fast. Seems there’s been a lot of talk about them on the boards lately. One just listed for sale this morning (3 inch) and it had inquires within 6 minutes.

Its been well documented on almost every TR site that the THDP was/is still one of the greatest all around TR product ever made. The man, the myth, the ledgen supposedly got on the wrong side of the law, why… not our business and really who cares….. His business, like so many Buick businesses floundered d/t outside forces and went to the way side. Am I slamming him or bestowing “evil” on his name? No. Any search on this site or sister, brother, cousin or illegitimate step child TR site (call them what you like) and you will find just what I stated.

Now to find one. :D

Was told the one I have is a THDP, but also read the THDP's are painted and the ATR's are not..?

But even then I knew they were hot items and when i found one 70 miles away for $300 I knew I better hustle on down and get it before someone else did.

Fit was perfect, didn't have to do any mods....just slid it in there and bolted it on.

And FWIW I've seen them sell for upwards of $600....:eek:

OK Steve, you asked, so I will give you info on how and what it takes to make a "quality" downpipe like G Body Parts sells.:smile:

Unlike the TH pipe, the G Body pipe has a stainless flange and a precision machined puck assembly.:biggrin:

Shameless plug for Brian. :eek: Hope he sends you a little off the back for this. :biggrin:

I am not slamming G-body at all, but truth is that THDP became know as the first "best" design in down pipes. The benchmark, if you will, with proven quality and performance, and as such, they are desirable and sought after. Sort of how a GN, although mechanically identical to a Turbo Regal, has the notoriety of being fast therefore it is worth more than a T in similar condition. The T may be rarer and faster but the GN automatically has the bragging rights until proven otherwise.

I do have a THDP 3" on mine that I purchased off of flea-bay. It is what I wanted and at the time there were no other options that I was aware of that met my needs. Other down pipes may work just as well or better and if I ever have need of another then I am open to other brands. I look for the best value. I'm sure G-Body's is an outstanding piece because I've never seen anything but quality stuff from there, and I would be just as proud to have one of their pipes on my car as anybodies. If anyone makes one that works and it's the best value then guess what is going on my car.