Te45a

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Guys, need a little help here. With all the good bolt-ons such as headers, ported heads, ported intake, downpipe, injectors, FMIC, bigger TB, doghouse, etc...., if bolting on a te45a turbo and maxing it out, what kind of times should one expect?

Any known numbers and mph with a te45a. I did a quick search but just asking is easier. I know it wont perform like a 6776 BB or 70 GTQ, but I'm thinking it's not going to be to far behind in performance. What you think?

Thanks

flip

There is a pile of people in the mid 10's with the 45A.... with good combo of parts. I have a friend that wen 10.60's with a 1.48 60' time on 231 ci... back yard ported irons.... and a 204/214 flat tappet cam... and an Eastern FMIC.... on 23-25 psi.....

Oh... trap speed was about 128 mph... TH350 with ?? converter... I'm sure it wasn't a real expensive one....

HTH

All things considered, the TE45A uses a 64mm compressor wheel and a P-trim turbine wheel. TO4E style compressor cover (3" in, 2" out) and typically a .63 A/R PTE turbine housing. It will support an honest to goodness 700 flywheel hp if maxed out. In a full weight Buick, with all of the typical bolt ons, and boost somewhere north of 29psi, it has the motza to run low 10's @ 128-132 easily. Lot of factors that have to be met, but it will make enough power to run low 10s. Lots of guys have run it into the mid 10's easily on 23-25 psi of boost.
HTH

Patrick

64mm?

I thought the A was a 66mm......??

The TE45 I knew was smaller....I know little about the TE45....... however the Limit TE45A..... is/was a very popular unit in the past......

Pat is the man BUT I was always told that the TE-45 uses a 63mm wheel and the TE-45a uses a 66mm compressor wheel.

Pat is the man BUT I was always told that the TE-45 uses a 63mm wheel and the TE-45a uses a 66mm compressor wheel.

I know what you mean...... I was like..... who am I to question what Patrick tells us..... :confused:

Oh well.... you remember the same thing I do...... look at it this way..... we are either both right..... or both wrong... :rolleyes:

I thought it was a 66 too. I thought the T64E was a 66 too. But Patrick is the turbo Guru. :)

O.K. I have a better warm fuzzy now for the TE45A and thanks for the info.

Not to change the subject though, but has anyone been into the high 8s with a 70GTQ turbo using a 109 block? Understanding the 45a is good for low 10s but can the same thing be said about the 70GTQ for high 8s? I know several TSM guys this year came close, but I don't recall it being done yet.

Has it been done to date?

flip

Doh... :eek: :redface:
Sorry guys, typo.
TE45a does have a 66mm wheel.
I make mistakes too.

Need .... More ... Caffine....

Good catch guys.

And flipmo...

I don't think it has been done in legal TSM trim with a 70GTQ (70mm cast aluminum compressor wheel or 7080H model #)
When Mr. Kirney ran his 8 second pass, it was with a non TSM legal turbo.
Not sure if Don's car runs the cast 70mm wheel, or the billet 71mm wheel turbo like Jason.
I don't ever remember it being done.

Patrick

it was with a non TSM legal turbo.

Patrick

Pat, what do you mean by non TSM legal? Do you mean compressor wheel inducer size was larger than 71mm or the inlet bore exceeded 71.5mm or something else made it illegal?

Clear this up for me please.

Thanks

Thank you.... for clearing that up....

What size is the compressor wheel in such a turbo?

I don't remember exactly because I am getting old.
Something between a 76-80mm from what I remember.
Cal or Dick would have to say for sure.

Louie went 10.17 with a te45a and a 3" thdp.:eek:

Geeeee :eek: :eek: and with a te45a. I had no idea that particular turbo would turn a number like that. That is hauling it and toooo close to the 9s.

I know that turbo had to have been maxed out.

is this still a desireable turbo if one wants to go mid 10's,or is their newer better turbos that are similar?just asking cause i know plenty of guys that ran these,and were happy with them.