I would like to get some opinions on a TE-60 P trim turbo

Steve

I think this turbo is also know as the 6076. I am putting a LC2 into my 67 Firebird and I am thinking of going with a TE-60 P trim. The car has a fresh 109 shortblock with ported irons and the "normal" mods and I will be running a stock location intercooler--not a normal Buick SLIC but similar in performance. The car has a turbo 400 with a Gearvendor overdrive and a 9.5" PTC 3200 stall and 3.23 gears. The car wieghed 3020 pounds with the LS1 in it so I think the wieght should be similar with the LC2. I have never run a mid sized turbo like the 60 before so I am not sure what to expect. I have run TE-45a's, 6776's and PT-70's before and of course stockers but really nothing in between. I have seen people run low 11's with 44's on full wieght Buicks so my thinking is that this TE-60 should be good for low 11's to high 10's on a 3000 pound car and should spool lightening quick with a 3200 stall. Does that should about right? The turbo is rated for 610hp and my goal is 500rwhp with a good solid torque curve which seems doable with this turbo but I would like to get some opnions on if this turbo will do the trick. I know there are some newer style DBB turbos that will out perform the ole 60 but for only $599 brand new the 60 seems to have a lot of bang for the buck!

you can run low 11s high 10s with a 60. But you will have to crank the boost up super high. Probably have to max the turbo out.

The Te6076 is a good bang for the buick and would work nice with your combo for sure. What is you goal low 11's high 10's? I have a brand new in the box 6152S if your interest I could give you a deal on 750.00 shipped no actuator..

You can do low 11's without having to max out this turbo. I've done 11.20's in a 3650lb Buick running 24psi. I love this turbo for a street car. There are better turbos now days but not for $599.00. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat.

I went low 11s with a TE60 at 25 psi. It would of been in the 10s if it would stayed together. But something hit the impeller. It was a great street turbo.

Fwiw the 6076 is not the same as a TE60. The 6076 needs a 3200+ stall on a stock cube, stock compression engine. The TE 60 is a good choice for your application.

Cool that you taking out a LS1 and putting in a LC2 while most are doing the opposite.

About your combo, I am not a fan of having a smaller turbo with a high stall converter. The turbo will spool just great with a 2400-2800 rpm stall speed. Only thing going to save you from it laying over in third gear is that it is a PTC unit.
Hope the engine you build has a decent VE up to at least 6000 rpm with no hard failures. I say tighten the converter and let it rock. Especially in a light car.

I would like to know what Dusty has to say about it.

Fwiw the 6076 is not the same as a TE60. The 6076 needs a 3200+ stall on a stock cube, stock compression engine. The TE 60 is a good choice for your application.

Thanks for the replies!

I think the one I was looking was the 6076. Full Throttle has a regular TE-60 and then a TE-60 with 76 trim wheel that is rated for 10 more HP than the regular TE-60. I figured that since I already had the 3200 stall I would go with the 6076. Full Throttle has them listed for the same price(60 and 6076).

Cool that you taking out a LS1 and putting in a LC2 while most are doing the opposite.

About your combo, I am not a fan of having a smaller turbo with a high stall converter. The turbo will spool just great with a 2400-2800 rpm stall speed. Only thing going to save you from it laying over in third gear is that it is a PTC unit.
Hope the engine you build has a decent VE up to at least 6000 rpm with no hard failures. I say tighten the converter and let it rock. Especially in a light car.

The LS1 was a GM crate motor with less than 500 miles on it when I removed it for a LC2 swap. I got it in the car and was like--"this pretty much sucks!" I have had a couple of different 10 second pump gas Buicks and some how it just seemed wrong to have to spray and all aluminum modern V8 just to be as fast as my 22 year old 6 banger Buick was. I considered turbo'ing the LS1 but there are no less than 20 turbo LSx's cars in my town and I wanted to be different. I consider it a 67 TTA!:D

With the 9.5 converter you can get away with 3200 stall because it still couples so well up top. Normally with a V6 I'd want something in the 2800 range with that size turbo but the 3200 can work.

Glad your keeping that bird and not selling it, i posted on the thread on ls1tech awhile back.

That te60 is right there with the te44, just the 60 takes a little more stall speed to spool it up. The 60 might make 5 more horsepower than the 44 ;)

I had the te60 on my TTA, it was running low 11s the same time my silver limited was running 11.4 with the 44.

For 600.00 new, thats a heck of a deal.

If you put on a good set of ported heads, you might step up to a larger turbo.

Those 6152's do run great at 25psi , lots more power than my 44 was.

Nice bird by the way

HTH
BW

Thanks for the replies!

I think the one I was looking was the 6076. Full Throttle has a regular TE-60 and then a TE-60 with 76 trim wheel that is rated for 10 more HP than the regular TE-60. I figured that since I already had the 3200 stall I would go with the 6076. Full Throttle has them listed for the same price(60 and 6076).
If you had 3200 at zero boost/vacuum id use the 6076. It will make a lot more than 10hp moer than the 6031 if you run higher boost and rpm. It will be a lazy pig with an inadequate converter. The TE60 (6031) is very similar to the TE44 which uses the same turbine as far as spoolup and performance potential.

If you had 3200 at zero boost/vacuum id use the 6076. It will make a lot more than 10hp moer than the 6031 if you run higher boost and rpm. It will be a lazy pig with an inadequate converter. The TE60 (6031) is very similar to the TE44 which uses the same turbine as far as spoolup and performance potential.

With the 6076 being a P trim is the spool up going to be any better than other P trim turbos such as the TE-63 or a TE-45a or will it be about the same? My motor has ported heads and cam and a better bottom end and if the spool up is the same I might be better served to go with a more aggressive turbo. I had a T-Type that went 131 with a 45a a few years ago with basically the exact motor set up I have in the Firebird now and with the Firebird being 400 pounds lighter it would fly with a similar turbo! This conversion deal is pretty pricey and I like the price of the 6076 but I would rather not buy twice if I don't have too.

With the 6076 being a P trim is the spool up going to be any better than other P trim turbos such as the TE-63 or a TE-45a or will it be about the same? My motor has ported heads and cam and a better bottom end and if the spool up is the same I might be better served to go with a more aggressive turbo. I had a T-Type that went 131 with a 45a a few years ago with basically the exact motor set up I have in the Firebird now and with the Firebird being 400 pounds lighter it would fly with a similar turbo! This conversion deal is pretty pricey and I like the price of the 6076 but I would rather not buy twice if I don't have too.
The spoolup will be similar. The fuel used and the tune as the boost comes in will make a lot of difference if the converter is questionable. Ive 300+more out of converters with aggressive timing and correct a/f's. It makes a big difference in spoolup time.

Glad your keeping that bird and not selling it, i posted on the thread on ls1tech awhile back.

That te60 is right there with the te44, just the 60 takes a little more stall speed to spool it up. The 60 might make 5 more horsepower than the 44 ;)

I had the te60 on my TTA, it was running low 11s the same time my silver limited was running 11.4 with the 44.

For 600.00 new, thats a heck of a deal.

If you put on a good set of ported heads, you might step up to a larger turbo.

Those 6152's do run great at 25psi , lots more power than my 44 was.

Nice bird by the way

HTH
BW

Thanks! I love the bird but just wasn't feeling the LS1 so I thought I would go for the best of both worlds!:D If they have a Fall Midwest Shootout/track rental in KC again next year I plan to go and maybe I will see you there.

The spoolup will be similar. The fuel used and the tune as the boost comes in will make a lot of difference if the converter is questionable. Ive 300+more out of converters with aggressive timing and correct a/f's. It makes a big difference in spoolup time.

Thanks for the info. So within reason most of the P trim turbos are going to have similar spool up characteristics? I thought that might be the case. I had a 6776S on my WE4 and switched to a PT70 P trim and didn't notice any difference at all in spool up like I had expected.

Steve-
Id just skip the 60. Its nice buying new stuff, but there is no reason to buy a smaller turbo since its new to fit the budget and sacrifice the build.

If you have the same heads and cam setup as you went 131 with the te45a , personally i would just do that again. Since you have a lower stall speed convertor, maybe 63 64 66mm. I only suggest that is because you have ported heads and cam. With my white limited, i went with the largest turbo a stock set of heads will make power with, te64.

I love my te45a .85 and 3500 stall in my blue limited, its stupid fast and at low boost my sister/mom/dad/friend could drive it with one eye closed in the snow if needed.

Its tough to figure out someone elses goals, but i tell you what, that 60 is a waste with ported heads.

If that shootout does happen, i will post in the midwest section. I bought a house about 6 miles from that track so i will be there more often.

I might even bring my 67 firebird :)

BW

I forgot about this thread. The 6076 referred to here uses the same compressor wheel and turbine the 60-1 Im running now has. Mid 10's capable