TE-63 and Yank 3600 good combo?

Morkai

Morkai the Red
I know I'm gonna need more stall with the TE-63, and was wondering if the Yank Extreme 3600 in the for sale would be good.

Right now the long block is stock, will be adding TE-63 (possibly with .85 PTE housing), BGC 3" elbow and dp, msd50's w/ T+, alkycontrol injection, and possibly bigger cam.

In the future probably go with ported irons and roller.

I have a 63E with a 3500 Vigilante. It works well. I would think the 3600 will work. But I think 3500 or higher stall on a 63 is on the high side of what you need. Ideally I think a 3200-3300 stall would be best. I have considered having my stall lowered to a 3200 if I have the trans out again.

stall

Yeah, I was originally aiming at 3200, but this converter was ordered for an f-body, so I expect it'll stall a little lower in the buick.

That stall is way to high.

I do not see the need for the stall to be that high, if you are still using the factory boost solenoid, ditch it and watch the spool up change big time.

I bet the new 67 in the .63 spools the same as the TE63 in the .85 yet makes more power through out the power band. I would do the manual boost controller first, ebay for $10.

should really ck around first about that 3600 yank . never heard any good thing about them with our cars anyway..also if its coming out of an ls1 car need to ck to see the year there were 2 bolt patterns i beleive to the flywheel it my not bolt up to the buick flywheel .best to look into that with a converter shop ..

stall

Thanks wickedtt, I'm double checking on that.

Everyone else think that is too much stall? Just seems that I've read some guys claim the recomended 3200 is too tight with a bigger cam and turbo that size.

I guess if it is too loose I could always just get it restalled.

stall

Our friend has a 3500 10",spool is ok. The 3600 should be ok.

Originally posted by wickedtt
never heard any good thing about them with our cars anyway..

I've driven a GN with their Super Stock Converter and really liked it. It's been in the car for a few years now, and the owner last I heard was still really happy.

3,600 is too high tho, IMO.

dave@converter.cc seems to be the guy to email at Yank.

It sounds like the front sount IS longer. Anyone know what the max length minus the stud bosses can be?

I'm betting since it was ordered for an LS1 that it'll stall lower than 3600 in a buick, but it might not matter if the stall won't mate with the buick crank.

Morkai,
I'm using a yank extreme 3600 in my GN. This converter is a multidisk, kevlar, high torque activated lockup, that will also lock up with a chip or lock-up box. This converter was also used by longinfelters twin turbo corvettes. In my application, this converter was way too tight(flashed only to 2500 RPM. With help from Dale Cherry, we decided it needed 500 RPM more stall. Mike at yank only took 1 day to have it restalled and now it's right where we wanted it. That's 3000 RPM flash and 10 pounds of boost at 4000 RPM. I've only done a couple 16 lbs launches with the wheels up(I usually only leave at 8 lbs). And trap at 127, 24 lbs of boost. My car has GN 1 ported heads, 70 BB turbo. I'm very happy with this converter. Can't help with your bolt pattern, but call Mike at yank. He should be able to help you. HTH.

GO EAGLES!!!

Originally posted by Morkai
It sounds like the front sount IS longer. Anyone know what the max length minus the stud bosses can be?

I'm betting since it was ordered for an LS1 that it'll stall lower than 3600 in a buick, but it might not matter if the stall won't mate with the buick crank.
that converter will never work. an ls1 converter is to big and has a 30 spline input. a 2oo4r has 27.

It came out of a 200-4r the splines are fine.
if it was a 2004r converted to fit the ls1. it has a custom input shaft with 30 splines to fit the ls1 converter.

shaft

I've never heard of such a thing. Does anyone even make a 30 spline input shaft for the 200?

AFAIK, this was in a standard 200-4r in a camaro. Converter was ordered that way, if anything it might be different where it bolts to the flywheel/crank. That is what I'm concerned about.

Re: shaft

I've never heard of such a thing. Does anyone even make a 30 spline input shaft for the 200?

AFAIK, this was in a standard 200-4r in a camaro. Converter was ordered that way, if anything it might be different where it bolts to the flywheel/crank. That is what I'm concerned about.
yank sold the 2004r converted to fit into an ls1. it had a manuel valvebody and a tci input shaft. so you can use the any ls1 converter. we have 2 fbody guys here in vegas that run them. you have to use a 1/2 inch thick adpter plate that bolts to the engine and the trans bolts to it. this is because the ls1 converter is deeper(thicker) than earlier converters. the bolt pattern should be the same. and the hub is the same. so it will slide into the 2004r. but if the converter is a 30 spline. it will never turn the input shaft of the trans.

I would've never guessed. I asked him, I think this was the 2nd converter in it, so if he sold the 1st and it's in a buick. I'll know it's 27 spline.

Why would the snout look to be longer then? (hub) you say it's the same. They didn't make any that were longer for LS1?

Eric Me and doug picked around for about a month and finally decided to order a 3500 pats convertor for mine. So far I like it with the 63. The convertor in my 68 firebird is a 3500 and it sucks driving it on the street but this one from pats in the buick is great. I can leave a stoplight just like it has a stock convertor in it. I'm talking granny grunt leaving out here, very sweet! Now when you put a foot on the brake and spool it up then you see the scanmaster start heading up in the rpms. When we first put it in up in my shop we let the car down and ran it thur the gears a few times with the tires up just to get the fluid running thur it good, then we let her down and I foot braked it and the scan was showing 3400 when the tires went up in smoke in the shop lol. Its the best of both to me, like NOT having a stall until you need one. Daniel