TE-51 replacement?

zigm

What would be a modern day replacement for my old school TE-51 (E cover) with the combo in my signature? I'm 110% happy with how fast the 51 spools now, so I would not want to give up any streetability at the expense of more top end (I hope I can get more on both with the newer tech). I know there are many new wheels available, but which model would be a great match for my existing fuel/IC/2800converter combo. I'm not interested in changing the converter.

The car has previously gone 115mph at 23psi with alky on the TE51.....

thanks,

What would be a modern day replacement for my old school TE-51 (E cover) with the combo in my signature? I'm 110% happy with how fast the 51 spools now, so I would not want to give up any streetability at the expense of more top end (I hope I can get more on both with the newer tech). I know there are many new wheels available, but which model would be a great match for my existing fuel/IC/2800converter combo. I'm not interested in changing the converter.

The car has previously gone 115mph at 23psi with alky on the TE51.....

thanks,

If it ain't broke don't fix it! from another TE51 owner :D

Probably one of Precision Turbos journal bearing, Billet compressor wheel, PT6157E would be the turbo that would be very, very close in spoolup and make slightly more power. Due to the larger and lighter compressor wheel.

For even quicker spool, you could option it out with their Dual Ball Bearing CHRA and it would basically rip the tires off from idle.

Next up would be the 6262, but that would require slightly more stall in the journal bearing version. Might get away with it with the dual ball bearing chra, but I personally doubt it. Most 2800 stall converters do not typically have a true 2800 flash level, but rather can be foot braked up to 2800.
HTH

Patrick

Mines gone 114 as well on the GN, got a ton of miles on it from 2 cars use.

About 45K or so.

If the wheels aren't melted off it, I'd say keep it. :eek: :)

I use a single disk 3K Vigilante 0 pump with mine, run 23-25 psi. with it, I'd probably consider another turbo if running over 26-27psi. with a stock motor.

I have a spare TA62 I could throw on that car, don't really see a reason to do it just yet, I doubt I'd gain more than 20-25HP at 23/24psi. :p

I did dyno. the WE4 when I went from the PTE51 to the TA62 and went from 366HP to 388HP same boost level 23psi. pump gas and alky.

Different day, well different year, the next year actually so it's not a really valid test, same combo however. ;)

Just my .02, they were a good turbo when the wheels didn't melt off them. :eek: :eek:

Like others have said, "If it aint broke don't fix it". I think you could squeeze more out of the little 51. I was able to trap 123 mph and run 11.09 on a 26" tire with mine. I think with a few more mods to the car I can get a 10 sec time slip.

Thanks for all the replies.....

I'm definitely a "if it aint broke" kind of guy.... however in this case, the turbo is working well now, but I'm concerned it may be going south. I'd like to know what I should get as a replacement so I can start saving my loose change.

The unit does not smoke or squeal, and has minimal shaft play. What I found when I removed it for some header work however, is a weird visual issue with the hot side turbine wheel. The tips at the very end near the center section have a weathered, almost sawtooth appearance. It's not scratched/cut/rough, but more of a smoothed/erosion appearance.

I've read about this model melting wheels before, but I don't know if this is 'meltage' or just physical damage from some foreign object going through. I wish I had taken a picture when i had the unit off the car....

The car feels very strong, but I can't help think that I'm not getting the max performance that this turbo could offer due to the turbine wheel issue.