TE-45A or PT-67 GT-Q turbo??

Originally posted by disco stu
Look at that mph with a low 12! You need a convertor and some hook!
I just got my tranny back from Vince Janis tuesday. Plus i got a Precision Vigilante 3600 stall. I will be putting it in this saturday, so i'll have some new track times soon. With the TE45a i have running a stock converter was bad. I couldn't build any boost off the line. I new that my ETs wouldn't be there so i was just seeing what my mph would be.

Rob

CPT 70bb with a 3500 stall worked great for me, but i think all the above mentioned turbos could get you there, but you might need to restall the convertor.

The PT-67 p trim is a sweet piece and unless your trying to kill the block the q trim wheel is not needed. I have a PT-67 P trim with an .82 housing. The car will be done in about a month and we will see what she can do.

musclecar neal,

Package sounds sweet, be sure to keep us advise of your results. Say, what stall is your NL set at?

Good Luck & Keep it Together

Well it appears my dad has made up his mind yet again (finally I hope) after speaking with Red Armstrong......

TE-45A with the Q-trim wheel and 55lb injectors....

My dad was worried that the 72lb injectors would be a little much for the street and Red agreed with him and told him he has plenty of guys going 10's with the 45A turbo and 55lb injectors....

If he went with the 67 GT-Q he would have needed the 72lb injectors and for my dads goals that combo would be a little overkill.....

My dad is going to try this combo (45A turbo and 55lbers) with the current tranny and converter just to see how it is before he makes up his mind on what to do with the trans/converter issue....

Thanks again for all the replies, my dad really appreciates it!

:) :cool:

Red Armstrong is the man to talk to. That is where i got my combo from plus i buy all my parts from him.

Rob

Not being one to argue with Red Armstrong.......
But my own combo is a bone stock long block (unported heads, stock cam and intake) with the typical bolts ons (big neck 17 row intercooler, 3" dp, hot wired 340 pump) and a JC TE45a with .63 precision and P trim exhaust. I had 55lb injectors with an extender chip and my injectors were just about maxed out at 27lbs of boost. I just recently installed 72's and had Bob Bailey upgrade my chip. The driveability is atleast as good as it was with the 55's. Your father has the potential to make much more power than I can right now with his heads, cam, Q trim turbo, etc.
I would go with the 72's just for the extra safety cushion.
I know Woody on here from Arizona was maxed on his 55's with his TE45a as well and his combo is similar to your dad's.
This is just my $.02

I have 72s on mine also, they idle much better than the 55s plus the driveability was there also. I just wanted to be on the safe side that is the reason i stept up to the 72s so i am not maxed out.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Not being one to argue with Red Armstrong.......
But my own combo is a bone stock long block (unported heads, stock cam and intake) with the typical bolts ons (big neck 17 row intercooler, 3" dp, hot wired 340 pump) and a JC TE45a with .63 precision and P trim exhaust. I had 55lb injectors with an extender chip and my injectors were just about maxed out at 27lbs of boost. I just recently installed 72's and had Bob Bailey upgrade my chip. The driveability is atleast as good as it was with the 55's. Your father has the potential to make much more power than I can right now with his heads, cam, Q trim turbo, etc.
I would go with the 72's just for the extra safety cushion.
I know Woody on here from Arizona was maxed on his 55's with his TE45a as well and his combo is similar to your dad's.
This is just my $.02

I think one reason you maxed out the 55's with your combo is you have a single 340 pump.... My dad has a double pumper (two 340 pumps) so that's one reason Red told him he should be fine with the 55's..... If he did max out the 55's he'll just step up to the 72's and sell the 55's (not really that big of a deal).... Also, Orlando ran 10.40's @130mph a while back maxing out the 55's (he had Reds double pumper) and Woody has a double pumper with 55's and has run 127mph so we shall see how well they do on my dads car....

I just can't wait to see how this thing pulls with that 45a Q-trim turbo with about 25lbs of boost!:D

86brick,

If your Dad wants to run in the 10(s), the 55(s) will be pretty much max out. We have two cars in the tens both with double pumpers. We were always fighting lean conditions. Used to be that no chips were available for the bigger injs., but thats not the case now - there are a number of chip makers for 72(s) on up.

To run the 55(s) into the tens don't be shy on the fuel pressure - IMHO.

Good Luck & keep us advised of your Dad's times.

If I had maxed them out because of the pump I would have seen the fuel pressure diving which wasnt the case. My fuel pressure was steady at over 75lbs under boost. The 55's are a major limiting factor IMHO. But you already know that. Anyways, I believe Woody switched to 72's because he was having the same problem when he went over 23lbs of boost.

I also would go with the 72s. It would be extra cushion just in case you ever want to go faster. I also know that if you can get in contact with Tweak aka eric, he can get you a chip that will make these injectors seem stock. You would have to ask him but I believe at one time he had his 83lb injectors in his stock car and made its driveabilty and idle just about perfect. Hope this helps.

Zak

i just upgraded the t64e on my car to a PT 71GTQ,,i really havnt pushed it to much yet but it ran 10.6@126 with a 1.55 short time,@24lbs, its a little tuff on the street and i still need to swap out the converter for a higher stall before i really try to run a good #,,,,but its still plenty drivable anywhere i want to go with it, so far so good as far as im concerned:cool:

Originally posted by kamarossrs
i just upgraded the t64e on my car to a PT 71GTQ,,i really havnt pushed it to much yet but it ran 10.6@126 with a 1.55 short time,@24lbs, its a little tuff on the street and i still need to swap out the converter for a higher stall before i really try to run a good #

Say kamarossrs,

What converter and stall are you running now? And, what exhaust housing are you using on your 71? Even with a tight converter your ET looks good to me :D

Thanks

just to set the record straight....I did max my 55's with a single 340....put a double pumper in and switched to 72's...was never able to get them to perform as expected (had a lot to do with some testing I was doing for Steve on the ME)...sooooo, put the 55's back in

with the double pumper, I feel I can run 10.5's with the 55's with a reasonable duty cycle...this on a 3700 lb street car...I have the mph, just need a little better 60' time (my 60 on the run in my signature was 1.56...very average...this was due to a slow spooling turbo because of an exhaust leak)

anyhow, good luck to brick's Dad!

i have a TH400 in it and the converter stalls at like 3200-3300,,,,i have a 85 exh housing on it.......im gonna work on the rear susp to try to get the 60' down,,,,right now the rear susp is all stock......

Originally posted by azgn
just to set the record straight....I did max my 55's with a single 340....put a double pumper in and switched to 72's...was never able to get them to perform as expected (had a lot to do with some testing I was doing for Steve on the ME)...sooooo, put the 55's back in

with the double pumper, I feel I can run 10.5's with the 55's with a reasonable duty cycle...this on a 3700 lb street car...I have the mph, just need a little better 60' time (my 60 on the run in my signature was 1.56...very average...this was due to a slow spooling turbo because of an exhaust leak)

anyhow, good luck to brick's Dad!

Thanks for sharing your experience Woody!

BTW, I noticed a little change in your sig;) :D