TE-45A or PT-67 GT-Q turbo??

86brick

It's just a V6 Brick.....
I'm posting this for my dad..... He is looking for a solid high to mid 10 second turbo and these seem to be the ones he is considering......

His current combo is as follows:

-TA-63 turbo with the garret .63 A/R housing
-CAS V4R 27 row intercooler
-PTE 210/210 Billet roller cam
-Ported Champion iron heads and intake
-62mm TB w/ the RJC PP
-MSD 50lb injectors
-ATR Double Pumper
-PI Vigilante 7 disc LU converter with 3200 stall
-JL 110 race chip w/ 26* of timing
-ATR SS headers
-TH 3" DP
-3" single shot exhaust
-SMC alky kit

With this combo and 20lbs of boost the car ran 11.38 @118mph on pump and alky with a 1.68 60' and with 23-24lbs of boost with VP C16 race gas it ran 11.50's @121mph with some sh!tty 1.7x 60' times....

Now he will be moving up to 72lb injectors and plans on having is tranny rebuilt with a "real" Art Carr 9" 3500 stall Non-LU converter (doesn't like how noisey the Vig is at idle)..... He doesn't want to run anymore than 25-27lbs of boost and wants a high to mid 10 second pass (he will be doing the necessary suspension mods to get the 60' times in the 1.5x range)....

So which one will get the job done..... I told him I think both will work, however, he seems to think the PT-67 GT-Q would probably be able to get him that 10 second pass without pushing it as much because it is capable of more power than the 45A.... Also, what is the price difference between the two turbos?
Think I heard the 45A from John Craig is $1200, but I don't have clue how much a PT-67 GT-Q sells for.... Please let me know!
TIA :) :cool:

CPT-65 from Cotton's Performance

Don't forget the CPT-65 from Jack Cotton...do a SEARCH on the CPT-65...people are flying!

(Also available in BB-form)

HTH :)

Re: CPT-65 from Cotton's Performance

Originally posted by Two Lane
Don't forget the CPT-65 from Jack Cotton...do a SEARCH on the CPT-65...people are flying!

(Also available in BB-form)

Yeah I've heard some good things about the CPT-65 so I'll have to look into that as well and let him know....

Thanks for the suggestion:)

I love my new 65. It has an .83 a/r, and I ran 11.2 @ 121 with 23#'s with a mid 1.7 60'. But it sounds like you are in the market for something bigger as it only has a 63 MM compressor wheel. The CPT 66 has the 66mm and is comparable to the 45A. I think you guys could EASILY accomplish your goals with either of these turbos, as you probably could with the combo you guys currently have.

I'd like to here how the drivability compares to you're 50's when you get the 72's in. I have yet to decide if I will milk the 50's or if I will move to 72's.

Last I heard both the 45A and the PT67 were $1050. The 67 GTQ is, I believe $1160 or thereabouts.

Originally posted by disco stu

I'd like to here how the **drivability** compares to you're 50's when you get the 72's in.
===========================================

Driveability, as pertains to fuel supply/delivery, is determined by the chip characteristics, not the injector size.

The injector's activity/"personality" is determined by the chip programming, but no chip can overcome inadequate injector size.

Wrong chip with any size injector = poor driveability, and vice versa.

With today's custom-designed chips from fellows like Eric @
www.turbotweak.com or Bob Bailey @ www.ramchargers.com the around town "cruiseability" would be as smooth (if not even smoother) than the stockers, from archived reports.

Jesse, aka Intercooler, is one of several running 83#s on the street with a super-smooth idle & a crisp power band...thanks to the right chip.

Nice to never be concerned about DC ever again!

I can only speak of the TE 45. This is the best turbo i have ever had. A quality piece by Limited and very powerfull. I went 10.50s on the foot brake in the 130s not tuned in. For me ..this is the one to have.Another cool thing is that ituses the small comp housing so it looks just like a TE44:cool: :D

As others have posted in the past, you have to build cylinder pressure to make power, so regardless of what you pick, you will have to crank some boost into it.
I have a TE45a and it is a very wicked turbo as far as power, but neither it or the GT67 are going to make that big of a difference in comparison to the 63 you currently have. If you are looking for a substantial jump, then you might as well go to a 70 or a GT71.

Well my dad spoke with Patrick at PTE a couple of hours ago and Pat told him the GT-Q 67 turbo is $1195 and an extra $79 for the HD actuator.... Looks like my dad has made up his mind after speaking with him and hearing that this turbo is capable of more than enough power for a stock block (800hp).... Pat also told him that a 3400 to 3500 stall converter is all you need and that he will need at least 65lb injectors for this combo.... (he is going with the 72lbers)..... He's going to order the turbo in a month or so when everything else he has planned for the car is done (suspension upgrades, injectors, tranny rebuild, and a few other little odds and ends)

Once we get this thing to the track again with the new combo I'll update everybody on how it does.....

Thanks again:) :cool:

Originally posted by 86brick
Well my dad spoke with Patrick at PTE a couple of hours ago and Pat told him the GT-Q 67 turbo is $1195 and an extra $79 for the HD actuator.... Looks like my dad has made up his mind after speaking with him and hearing that this turbo is capable of more than enough power for a stock block (800hp)

Once we get this thing to the track again with the new combo I'll update everybody on how it does.....

Yes, please post back when you have some times with this turbo as there is lots of talk about this turbo but not much in the way of actul timeslips. I would like to see what this turbo can do for real.

Ball-Bearing Turbos

And...it'll eventually also be available in a BB model, sometime towards Christmas, possibly.

:)

I was under the impression that the new GT67 will flow like a 70 yet spool like a 63. So, this sounds like a worth while upgrade from a TA63 and cheaper than a 70. Thats why I will eventually get the GTQ 67 in the .63 housing and never need to upgrade again.

Originally posted by DR.BOOSTER
Thats why I will eventually get the GTQ 67 in the .63 housing and never need to upgrade again.

DR.BOOSTER, the older I get the more I realize "Never say Never":)

Keep it Together

Bigger is not always better i ran 10.80s@125 with a t-63 at 25 lbs at 3850 lbs and drove to and from the track. I don`t know why you need a turbo that makes more than 680 hp you only need 540 hp to the tire to go 10.80s . I made 596 to the tire with the t-63 with 50 lb msd injectors . I would work with what you got till you go faster then upgrade if you can`t meet your goals .

Originally posted by laz
Bigger is not always better i ran 10.80s@125 with a t-63 at 25 lbs at 3850 lbs and drove to and from the track. I don`t know why you need a turbo that makes more than 680 hp you only need 540 hp to the tire to go 10.80s . I made 596 to the tire with the t-63 with 50 lb msd injectors . I would work with what you got till you go faster then upgrade if you can`t meet your goals .

Laz, I think the biggest problem right now is the tranny and that damn converter..... I have never been a fan of the LU converters and all the fast cars I see seem to have Non LU converters.... Another thing is what was the combination on your TR that ran 10.80s @125 with a 63 turbo and 50lb injectors (what chip, what cam, what converter, etc.)?? I'm guessing this was with a ME chip and the usual "Laz" tune.... That's another thing Laz you have been playing with these cars for a long time and are a very good tuner (easily one of if not the best with the ME) and hell you have Roy's car running 9.90's in TSM trim.... Meanwhile my dad and us (my bro and me) just tune with a Scanmaster by looking O2's and go from there running the car safe (rich) with no detonation with a normal chip (nothing like a ME 16 pos. chip).... I'm sure somebody like you could easily get more out of the car, however, I don't think that's going to happen with us so the only alternative is to upgrade and go bigger.... Again comparing what you ran to what my dad ran with a certain combo just isn't fair and is kind of silly! My dad might try to run the car again with the TA-63 turbo (the injectors are going to be 72lbers though) before he upgrades just to see if he gets anything out of it, but I don't see anything wrong with going bigger and not having to run the car as hard as we would have to with the TA-63....

Later, Steve:cool:

Go with a TE45a, I like mine alot, that turbo makes alot of power.
I hope to have my tranny put back in this weekend along with my new Precision converter.

Hey Steve my buddy ran 10.90@126 with a ta-63 with a 63 housing with 55 lb injectors . I ran a single disc lockup vigilante convertor but only used the lockup on the highway. I think the bigger you go on a turbo the harder it is to launch so your et suffers and on the street your responce suffers also. I always liked the te-60 turbo the best . I have run a MAX-EFFORT since 1994 and i only had an 8 position chip, back then i only had a 2 1/2 in hooker downpipe. I just looked up my old timeslips there from nov 1999 dam thats a long time ago.

Originally posted by laz
Hey Steve my buddy ran 10.90@126 with a ta-63 with a 63 housing with 55 lb injectors . I ran a single disc lockup vigilante convertor but only used the lockup on the highway. I think the bigger you go on a turbo the harder it is to launch so your et suffers and on the street your responce suffers also. I always liked the te-60 turbo the best . I have run a MAX-EFFORT since 1994 and i only had an 8 position chip, back then i only had a 2 1/2 in hooker downpipe. I just looked up my old timeslips there from nov 1999 dam thats a long time ago.

Yeah getting the car to launch is another thing my dad will have to figure out to get her in the 10's.... Front sway bar will be gone, 90/10 drag shocks up front, 50/50s in the back, maybe a rear sway bar like the ATR or better yet the new HRpartsNstuff bar.... All the HP in the world means nothing if you can't put it to the ground!

We shall see......