Takes a while to shift into 4th

LC2

Three of a Perfect Pair
Here's the deal:
If I put my car into OD,it stays in drive(3rd) for a long time before it shifts into 4th.
If I get out onto the highway,in OD,it takes about 2 mins,at 60 to 65, before it shifts.
:confused:
Everything else is fine with it,UNTIL.......I turn the A/C on.
Then all new problems start.
I'll be going at about 30 or so in drive,just touch the gas and it kicks down to first violently,hits 2nd for a split second and goes back to 3rd.
This thing has a mind of its own.
TV cable is adjusted correctly.
Shifter linkage is also correct and VS sensor is working as far as I can tell.
I just got the car about 8 weeks ago and the owner told me he didn't know if it had a shift kit in it.
I can't tell.It seems to shift like a untouched trans.
I did add a trans cooler and the fluid is clean
I have not pulled the pan.
Got any advice for me?

That A/C thing is whacky!:confused:

I'd say there is a problem with the governor circuit. Perhaps a torn V/B gasket, bad teflon seal on the governor shaft or a problem with the governor itself.

Sounds as if it's having difficulty building and maintaining adequate governor pressure to work the shift valves.

That A/C thing is whacky!
It sure is.
I had my wife and 20 month old daughter in the car when this was going on and my wife says,
stop driving like an ahole with the baby in the car!
I told her I wasn't doing anything...It's the car:(
I don't think she believes me.:mad:

I was thinking maybe it was the governor sticking or something but,it is fine in 1 thru 3.
I will check it out this weekend and give it a looksee.
I want to put a shift kit in it also.But like I said,I don't know if there is one in there already.
Don't laugh, (I can usually tell if a car has a kit in it) my buddys stock trans shifts similar to mine.Shifts a hell of a lot better than my 84t did.

Thanks for the reply

Nothing will cause it to downshift or lock up on downshift unless manual valve is moved. The A/C thing has me for a loop as they are in no way connected. Hrmmmmmmm....You got a good one....Lemme think...:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com