TA49 Turbos, who has 'em and what are/were your impressions?

Darth Fiero

3800 Series II Turbo
Sometime next year I will be looking into upgrading the turbo on my 3800 Series II Fiero, after I do some other things. I like the drivability of the stock TB0348 turbo but I know I will eventually want to run low 12's hi 11's in this 3000lb car and I am not so sure that the stocker is going to be up to the job.

So what do you think of the TA49? Is it worth it to upgrade and if so what kind of "attitude" difference can I expect out of it vs. the stocker? Any info would be appreciated.

I have one on my 87 GN installed it with a stock tourque converter in the car and was not all that impressed there was a definate inprovement but nothing radical.
I killed my trans, so I rebuilt it threw in a 2800 stall conveter along w/some other goodies. With that 2800 stall converter the car woke right up, the 49 spools up 15 lbs like theres no tommorw. I am very happy with it but you have to have the combo to go with it. I am running 009's with the turbo.

I just finished replacing the stock turbo with a TA49 on my friends stock Buick. The exhaust housing wastegate hole was to small to bleed out exhaust resulting in way too much boost. We fixed it by pulling the exhaust side and enlarging the hole to just under the puck size. With that problem fixed the car runs very strong on pump gas and only 14psi. Instant spool with the Precision 3000 stall. I cant wait to see how it runs at the track with 20+ psi:D. The only thing that I dont like is the billet inlet bell that comes with the turbo is way too close to the IAC connector. We put the smaller stock bell back on since it doesnt rub, as we are not concerned about loosing a little extra air flow. If it was my car, I would have done a TE44 since Im not concerned about stock appearing

Originally posted by Way2QWK
If it was my car, I would have done a TE44 since Im not concerned about stock appearing

Ok, since I don't care about "stock appearance", should I go with the TE44 instead? What are the differences?

Stan still has my TA 49 that was on my car years ago, ask him to bring it out next time you see him and try it out. I went 11.79 @ 114 at 3700lbs with that turbo, 3000 stall, strech intercooler and a factory stock motor.

Originally posted by GRNDNL
Stan still has my TA 49 that was on my car years ago, ask him to bring it out next time you see him and try it out. I went 11.79 @ 114 at 3700lbs with that turbo, 3000 stall, strech intercooler and a factory stock motor.

Thanks Keith, I will ask him about it when I talk to him next. If that turbo was good enough to go 11's for you it should be pleanty to get me into the 11's as well with 700 less lbs and the advanced nature of the 3800 S2.

FYI, check my signature for some TA-49 numbers. Awesome, cost-effective turbo for a mostly-street car.