TA-v1522B timing set position ?

bpman1234

Hi to those reading .so have a stock motor and bought the TA-V1522B just need to know if I set it right before I button it up as far as front cover .thanks in advance as always .please look at pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 323
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 379
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 294
No you have it set at the 2* retarded position.
You want the keyslot that has no numbers....only the center punch indentation to go on the crankshaft key.

Rotate the crank pulley 1 key slot clockwise, this will land the pulley 0 degrees or straight up.
it is confusing with all the marks and numbers. Repost pics to make sure.

Last edited:
Ok thanks but it's hard to see I thought that's where I have it . It's between the 2*advanceand the 2* retard I lined it up with the dot on the crank gear inner base not the tooth with the dot that said the 2* it's in between the 2* advance and the 2* retard but I will double check and take better pics thanks for chiming in will post back .

Ok so you telling me that it has to line up with the tooth that has the dot and no numbers under it ?in between the dot on the tooththat has the 2*retard under it and the dot on the tooth that had the 2* advance uder it is that right if that's what your saying then yes I have to do what you said . Will be back .

All of the markings make it difficult
The stamped numbers on the front face of the crank pulley are are numbered with respect to their position....8A 6A 4A 2A "0" 2R 4R 6R 8R
Here is where it gets tricky the makings on the periphery or the circular part are what tooth you use with your chosen degree..0,2,4
The keyway in the crank should be pointing exactly at the top of #1 cylinder centered in the bore if the head was off 45* cw from straight up and down.
The dot on the cam gear will be pointing straight down.
The dot on the crank gear will be pointing straight up completely in line with the dot on the cam gear.
Put everything where it should be and rotate the engine back and forth a bit and then slowly rotate it clock wise until those dots are perfectly
on top of each other.
When a cam is advanced or retarded a bit the dots will not completly lineup through the cam and crank centerlines.
I can see yours are not aligned along with the key slot used being marked 2R.

How's this ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 195
bpman....it in the same positon that it was in.
Either you posted the wrong pics or you did not move the crank gear.
The crank gear in these pics has the 2R slot installed over the crank key.
You need to have the 0 slot...the one with just the center punch mark installed over the crank key.

Ok man really appreciate it . Thought I was supposed to line up the zero mark with the dot on cam gear not the key on crank was going with like the stock gear set let me know thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 266
Now you got it. Just installed the same set in mine. Bit confusing with all the markings, but looks good now

Thanks yes the markings do throw you off wanna thanks fastback and the rest that chimed in now I can finish the job loctite those bolts slinger tensioner new style roller button front cover seal did the earl mods new pump gears new rear main seal and cork pan gasket new oil pickup screen loctite those 2 bolts and put it all back together .

Ok thanks gonna try to get it done before the weekend see how far I get tomorrow thanks again .

Not sure what to do. 87 gn replacing stock timing gear with milling stock timing gear. It had a tensioner on the stock nylon gear so do I use a tensioner on the replacement stock timing gear. It is sintered metal instead of plastic coated.

Thanks, I did buy a new one just confused on weather to put it in or not. A lot of post say no tensioner for different chains but I was thinking if it had one before than it needs to be in there with new stock chain. Thanks again. Now I can finish this ting up and get it back together.