TA Rear Girdle Installation

SuperCPA

I don't feel tardy.....
About a two years ago I wrote an article for a website I help admin to document my experience with installing this performance part. Granted, installing one is not rocket science. However, I still thought that it might help someone feel more comfortable about doing it themselves. This unit comes with sufficiently detailed instructions from the manufacturer. I just thought that actual pictures and additional details would help build upon this foundation. After two years of many laps down the track, I feel confident that this unit has been part of that dependability. Take it for what it is worth and feel free to add suggestions or comments as you see fit.

DSCN5089.jpg

Last edited:
Nice post. I especially appreciate the pics with the instructions as well as mentioning the tools used. It makes things so much easier and I wish everyone would do their write-ups like this... ;)

Nice writup, but I missed where you call out the proper torque settings on not only the cover bolts, but MORE importantly the torque setting for the cap pre load bolts/jamb nuts!!!

Page 3, 2nd paragraph
"I installed each of the 10 mounting bolts by hand before incrementally tightening each one to 25 ft/lbs while using a criss-cross pattern. After doing so, I gently screwed the load bolts back in until I could feel them engage the caps. To complete this step, torque the load bolts using a 1/4 hex key socket to a maximum of 5 ft/lbs. This is especially important because over tightening these bolts could distort the caps."

Thank You. See what you have to look forward to when you get this old! :eek:

Well, since my original post, the site hosting my write up was taken down. So here is a repost of the article I wrote in another format. Hopefully, the graphics will be good enough to remain legible in this manner. :cool:

TAPerformanceDifferentialGirdle_Page_1.png

TAPerformanceDifferentialGirdle_Page_2.png

TAPerformanceDifferentialGirdle_Page_3.png

Thank you this helped a ton! One question. The factory drain bolt. Looks square? Is that a special tool to remove? Some others say to fill up to TA fill hole and others like you say fill to factory fill hole on housing. I can't find out what to use to remove the factory plug.

FYI i plan to loosen my cap load bolts and apply some ultra black rtv since my cover leaks at the load bolts.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thank you this helped a ton! One question. The factory drain bolt. Looks square? Is that a special tool to remove? Some others say to fill up to TA fill hole and others like you say fill to factory fill hole on housing. I can't find out what to use to remove the factory plug.
I know it looks odd, but you can remove the factory fill hole using the square end of a 3/8" extension where you would normally be fitting a socket. You may need the longest socket wrench you have available to give you the most leverage while removing the plug. It has not likely been removed for a long time and may be difficult at first. The plug can be removed using the normal counter-clockwise rotation. I would also recommend cleaning the years of grime and dirt buildup in that area to lessen your chances of contamination while inspecting the fill level. I would only fill the fluid from the rear of your new girdle until it begins to exit the factory fill hole. Overfilling your housing to the girdle's fill hole will likely cause damage to the rear end assembly over time. Be sure that your vehicle is as level as possible during this process too. I am glad you found the article helpful; not much has been mentioned about it in a good while. Thanks.

Last edited: