TA Performance or Weber Racing front cover?

Got TA covers on both cars and they work. Wish they were GM covers that were modded. I wish TA would cut the tab off the top for us Dbl roller users. I had to tap my cam sensor Hold down bolt hole on the one. I have good oil pressure in drive at idle.

I got to the point I just remove all the tabs on the ones I do. It's just too close to the exposed pump shaft to make someone do it after the pump's been cleaned, assembled, and cleaned.

One year old thread but I just pulled the trigger on a ready to bolt on Front Cover from TA Performance for my rebuild, I just need to check the roller cam thrust.

Chuck

any particular covers are better or worse at holding oil pressure for cold start in time. say for example a month without running the car.. and not getting dry noisy startups...?

any particular covers are better or worse at holding oil pressure for cold start in time. say for example a month without running the car.. and not getting dry noisy startups...?
That's usually an oil filter issue.

Oh crap, I just got the fresh engine fired up for the first time and have 100 psi at idle. Like I posted above it has the TAPerformance cover on it with a pressure regulator, looking for anyone with experience on how to turn it down. I shut the motor down after about 4 min and it was down to 90 psi.

Ok, I was just on their website turn the screw out to turn the pressure down.

Chuck

Chuck, search for similar issues posted by turbofabricator, who determined there was an issue with the covers. TA supposedly corrected it?

I would adjust it down to around 70psi cold.

Food for everyone's thought.
Don't mistake the adjustable bypass for a pressure regulator. It will lower cold oil pressure yes but will not raise hot idle pressure.

When cold starting any motor 90% of the oil is diverted through the bypass. The cheaper and more restricted the oil filter the more oil gets bypassed. Why? Because when oil is cold it can't pass through the filter and has to bleed off somewhere. The spring in the bypass determines the pressure required to open the valve. The adjustable bypass really has no advantage. All your doing is adjusting cold bypass pressure. Why T/A does this is beyond me. This is very misunderstood among most.

Some people think 100 psi oil press cold is good. It will collapse the internals of standard oil filters and over strain the oil pump drive and timing set. I have to laugh when I see big wigs talking about how hv oil pumps strain the drive. It has more to do with controlling maximum pressure.

My $.02

TurboBuRick,

Thanks for that information, I run a remote filter adapter and currently have a Purolater filter in it. They did send me a pack of different springs with it, may need to put a weaker spring in it, we'll see.

Chuck

Last edited:
I would adjust it down to around 70psi cold.

Food for everyone's thought.
Don't mistake the adjustable bypass for a pressure regulator. It will lower cold oil pressure yes but will not raise hot idle pressure.

When cold starting any motor 90% of the oil is diverted through the bypass. The cheaper and more restricted the oil filter the more oil gets bypassed. Why? Because when oil is cold it can't pass through the filter and has to bleed off somewhere. ................My $.02

I just want to add my comments and opinion in this discussion based upon many years of dealing with Buick engine oiling starting with Buick engines before the turbo days.

It is not unusual for oil pressure of 80-90 psi when starting an engine on a " cold" day here which is 30-40 degrees, and about 35-50 psi at operating temp.

The issue I did have with these cold start oil pressures, the paper-type cartridge filter would collapse, or at least develop "tracks", or wide openings to allow oil to flow which means it is not filtering some oil even with the by-pass closed?

Some of the more expensive filters have a very fine media which actually restricts oil flow, and filtering oil down to 8 microns is counter-productive. I prefer to have more oil flow and pressure.

The Wix filter for example has a 60 micron media, which is adequate for protecting bearings and other parts.

Also, the cleanable filters use a 40 micron stainless steel mesh screen with NO bypass, and this is what we prefer to use especially to protect our expensive performance builds.

Our testing has shown an increase up to a 10 psi oil pressure across the entire RPM range with the mesh filter, which in our builds is 80-90 psi at high RPM.

I have well over 1000 passes in my race car over the years and never trashed a main bearing, and has fresh bearing every season.

I use Nick,s oil filter also , K@P is the name , very good quality , it would have be a good one as them are my initials ,LOL!!!

how many people here block the oil filter bypass?

I do but keep in mind I live in the tropical paradise of Souf Louisiana where the current temp is 71°. I also run 30wt oil. If I ran some of the thicker oils (higher viscosity) then I wouldn't be so quick to do it.

Has anyone seen better pressure with Nicks filter on a stock motor?

It helped mine about 5 lbs , but oil flows so much better with no paper element

K&P Engineering’s reusable oil filters offer faster oil pressure at start-up.More filtered oil gives you longer asset life for your vehicles.

Up to 7 times more oil flow than paper filters.

Environmentally friendly

Last edited: