TA heads. SE vs SI

needforspeed150

To many cars and motorcycles
I have been searching through past threads/posts and haven't seen the answer I was looking for. I realize the two heads start with the same casting. I need a new set of heads and was going to go with the SE and was told it wouldn't be a good street head. Putting together a upgrade and thinking 5858 or 6262 turbo with a converter. I guess my question is. Does it take to much turbo to fill the SE heads or what? I understand the rockers are different and flow numbers show up as different. From what I was told the SI's would be the best in my case.
If this has been covered I sure missed it.
Ben

It is the difference of the valvetrain. RPM, spring pressures, ect. The SE heads allow for more spring selection and chevy style rockers. Sounds like you would be better of with SI heads, or even a ported iron.

I have been searching through past threads/posts and haven't seen the answer I was looking for. I realize the two heads start with the same casting. I need a new set of heads and was going to go with the SE and was told it wouldn't be a good street head............Ben

You are correct, SI and SE heads are the same base casting, but are machined for different rockers.

The SI head is machined for stock rockers or roller rockers.

The SE head is machined for paired rockers which use 2 rockers per shaft.

Either type head can be ported to the same max flow, but in high RPM engines with extreme valve spring pressure the better choice is the SE head.

I recently installed a set of SE well-ported heads on a GN which had ported iron heads with a 60mm turbo, and the car became an animal on the street!

Your source of info about SE heads NOT being a good street head is either a BS merchant, or has not enough experience with these car? :confused:

Of the many times I have just installed alum heads in place of iron heads, I have seen improvements at least of 1/2 a second or more.

The fact is the best $$$$ spent on mods for increased performance is in the heads!

OK I get what your saying. Now , it comes to best choice with what I am planning. Looking at turbo 5858 or 6262 , torque converter 3000-3200 , intake porting, throttle body if needed. I have 60lb injectors, aluminum radiator , and fmic. Haven't put it in yet but have the tt axis interface and chip to help the tuning. Cam will be somewhere 112/112 or 114/114 Yes I know the transmission probably won't likethe upgrades.
Thoughts? I'm up for any suggestions. Same info was given on the 6262. to much turbo.
Ben

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my fresh SE heads

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    767.9 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 308
You might be leaving alot on the table with a 6262 with those heads and cam.

You might be leaving alot on the table with a 6262 with those heads and cam.
So exactly what are your thoughts? The heads are going to be first no matter which way I go they are a fair bit of cash,and I just don't want to have made the wrong decision on them. The converter which of course would depend on the turbo decision would be right after. Then the turbo?. I am up for any wisdom you guys have for me.
Ben

State a goal and use for the car and the cookie cutter combos of what you need will start rolling in.

If you have a max amount to spend state that as well. I love spending other peoples money!

I am certainly no expert and agree with robzombie . . . . it makes sense to start with sharing the goal and target and/or the intended fuel?

I am certainly no expert and agree with robzombie . . . . it makes sense to start with sharing the goal and target and/or the intended fuel?
I agree.

It's pointless to put the cart before the horse.

Hell we don't even know what the heck he has. Stock unopened, fresh stock rebuild, or steel mains and caps, pistons or ??

How can people give solid advice when they know nothing of what you're starting with and no info on where you want to end up.

Good steel heads will probably support your goals but not knowing your goals now or for the future makes it fruitless for any advice to be given at this point.

So exactly what are your thoughts? The heads are going to be first no matter which way I go they are a fair bit of cash,and I just don't want to have made the wrong decision on them. The converter which of course would depend on the turbo decision would be right after. Then the turbo?. I am up for any wisdom you guys have for me.
Ben
Like everyone else says, what are your goals? You may be able to achieve them with a good set of ported irons and save money for other items. Other than the heads and turbo, what are you doing with the block?

Sorry to piss some people off. The original post was basically asking opinions of drive-ability and potential requirements of the two heads. It had nothing to do with comparisons to iron heads. It had nothing to do with how much or little work had been done on the lower end. I have had lots of experience building engines in a non turbo world and have always been served well by using heads that flowed well and had as large valve as was practical. I appreciate the comments of TT/Ameasap and NickMicale. As for what I kind of have in mind for the end of this is a low 11 car if I end up where I am thinking. Yes I am working with a recipe, it just has nothing to do with my original question. I appreciate the comments and will adjust further questions/posts to forum standards.
Ben

Ben I have the 6262jb turbo with the Dusty Bradford non lockup converter, I've ran a 11.16 @ 127.78 with traction issues in the 1/4 mile. I'm running the iron heads that champion works over, that I bought used off the board. The car is pure joy on the street, able to light up the M/T drag radials at anytime by leaning on the throttle. My block has just been freshened up because I broke the stock crank in half 2 years ago. I think what the guys are getting at is the fact unless you want to go 9's in the 1/4 mile you may want to reconsider iron heads. Ok back to the 6262 journal bearing turbo, this upgrade toasted my mostly stock tranny, figure 3-4k dollars for a tranny to handle the extra power in your build.
Chuck