Ta-61/Dynotech pro-torque converter

vl1500

I have a limited Ta-61 turbo with a precision .63 housing along with a rebuilt Dynotech transmission and a 10.5 pro torque converter.The car seems to be really sluggish on the bottom end.Anyone else running this combo?

I had a TA62 and a Protorque 3200 stall 10.5" converter and it spooled okay.

Quick spool code in the chip as well as BSTC quick spool code in the boost controller.

No other fancy tricks for spooling.

What stall Protorque converter is it supposed to be?

Ta-61/Dynotech protorque converter

Thanks for the response,it's suppose to be a 3200-3400 stall but like I said it is very sluggish down low.

How is your fueling down low ? Sometimes fat (rich) fueling slows spool down.

I have a TA60 with a 3000 stall, and until I got the fueling right down low (spoolup), it was pretty sluggish too.

I am running 009's,ATR down pipe,armstrong xp fuel pump and adj fuel regulator.I also have the translator with a LT-1 air flow sensor.Fuel pressure is 43 v/l off.

That should be fine. What Chip are you using ? I have an extender chip which gives the ability to tune fuel for spoolup, I leaned mine out to get it right.

If you don't have this ability, maybe just as an experiment lower your fuel pressure to 40 or so then launch, the car will likely fall flat at the top end but if spoolup is improved then maybe that is a hint to the cause.

Watch your O2's as you do this, if they are too lean then let off ! Otherwise if this doesn't solve it perhaps the converter is not stalling properly or as high as advertised.

Dont overlook you wastegate actuator adjustment. Make sure the puck swings freely when unhooked. Clean with carburator cleaner if it doesnt. That turbo is a monster off the line. 3000-3200 stall should make it very happy.

Once again thanks for the response,while driving the car once I take off from a stand still the tires will bearly break loose.I know from past experience with the same set up along with a TE-44 the car would get side ways!

tyrod said:
Dont overlook you wastegate actuator adjustment. Make sure the puck swings freely when unhooked. Clean with carburator cleaner if it doesnt. That turbo is a monster off the line. 3000-3200 stall should make it very happy.

To add to this, make sure that the wastegate shuts properly when the arm is connected, you should have to pull the arm off it's seat about 1/8" or so to get onto the arm. If not then maybe the actuator is actually opening the wastegate at low or 0 boost (?)

I'm a big fan of the Ta/Te61's and have been using them on cars for years. Many of the cars start out with just bolt-ons and still have the stock D-5 converters in them. I have yet to experience one of our cars having a "lag" problem with one of these turbos. But... I almost always order them with a .63 Garrett exhaust housing on them.

IMHO, that's the difference.

K.

Ta-61/protorque converter

My next step will be to change out thr precision .63 housing to the garrett .63 housing.

NCTURBOS said:
I'm a big fan of the Ta/Te61's and have been using them on cars for years. Many of the cars start out with just bolt-ons and still have the stock D-5 converters in them. I have yet to experience one of our cars having a "lag" problem with one of these turbos. But... I almost always order them with a .63 Garrett exhaust housing on them.

IMHO, that's the difference.

K.

Thanks for the info!

If you haven't already, wouldn't hurt to check the header / turbo flange gasket for leaks. My spool was bad as well, eventually found the copper gasket had been erroded out after some time, apparently it never had a good seal from the day I installed the turbo, because after the gasket was changed spool was incredible.