T56 Swap

Subd. Ran a monte at cecil a few months back, guy did a 6 speed swap to it. I dug it. Good luck!

1987 White Turbo T - TE60 w/ Alky
12.1@113 on street tires

Trans spacer came in and I did a little cutting on it to clear the hydraulic fittings. It's ready to go in as soon as my friend can come over to help. The trans by itself is as heavy as a th400. Add the clutch, flywheel and bell housing and this is definitely not a weight saving venture.

Notice I have also put the quick disconnect back on. I put a clutch in by brothers ford ranger last weekend and that QD setup was a lifesaver. We were able to completely remove the hydraulics from the truck, bench bleed them and then reassemble it on the truck with no issues. It was super easy to bleed like that. So I'm going to buy the McLeod -4 line with the male end of the QD on it instead of a simple hose between the slave and master.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had to modify my trans crossmember. I probably have a bit more driveline angle now (maybe 1/4 of a degree) and the mount is spaced lower than a th400, so I ended up remaking the trans mount.

CIMG1822_zps644b3536.jpg

I got lucky on the shifter placement. It's in the exact same place that my automatic shifter was. It won't take much cutting on the console plate and a nice shifter boot to get that looking good.

CIMG1817_zps472f7917.jpg

Last edited:
I moved the trans up another 1 3/8" and had to remove a lot of trans tunnel.

CIMG1825_zpsbd41cfbb.jpg

I've been working on a new cover all day. It's mostly done, now I've got to figure out how to mount a piece of rubber sheet and have it hug the shifter for an inner boot. The new tunnel piece couldn't be any wider than this and still fit in the console.

CIMG1826_zpsccc2cafb.jpg

CIMG1828_zps28d3fb15.jpg

I got a plan for the shifter boots. I made another sheetmetal riser to get up higher around the shifter. I don't think I can cram any more sheetmetal inside the console.
20141130_135711_zpse009261f.jpg

I'm going to sandwich a piece of rubber sheet between that and an aluminum hold down ring. I machined that today. I have to find some rubber sheet this week.
20141130_133408_zps24bc48b7.jpg

20141130_135527_zps7201160a.jpg

20141130_135726_zps8df00ae1.jpg

For the upper boot, I found a grey universal one on ebay that I'm going to fasten to the bottom of this new bezel that I also machined today. I'll figure out the mounting better once the boot gets here.
20141130_153758_zpsb92e8ebd.jpg

Nice work man.

I can’t wait for video and what it sounds like.

and a ride in it. (y)

D

If there is interest I could supply the parts that cannot be bought. I highly doubt there is enough interest to justify buying the transmissions, clutches, flywheels and bellhousings in bulk. I can also say that this is not exactly cheap, especially if you need a twin disc clutch and a t56 magnum.

If there is interest I could supply the parts that cannot be bought. I highly doubt there is enough interest to justify buying the transmissions, clutches, flywheels and bellhousings in bulk. I can also say that this is not exactly cheap, especially if you need a twin disc clutch and a t56 magnum.
Is it safe to say there is 4k-4.5k in just the trans and clutch? ...Your project is probably still cheaper than the guy who did the paddle-shifted TCI 6x. I think the cool/fun factor is worth it if you can swing it!

I'll break it down, no secrets. These things cost what they cost.

The T56 magnum is $3000 shipped. Tremec is strict on pricing so you are unlikely to find a deal. I used a 10% off coupon from summit though.
The Mcloed RXT clutch is $900, the RST is a little cheaper.
The TA billet steel flywheel is $320
The Quicktime Bellhousing is $600. I did find one for cheap and saved a bunch.
The clutch hydraulics are ~$210. I'm basically using stock 98-02 camaro parts
The Tick speed bleeder was $50 but it's not a necessity. My friend has one on a corvette and says it's the way to go.
The sick speed monte clutch pedal and master cylinder mount were $300. If I made them, I could do it a little cheaper. But this guy offers a good product.
shifter handle and knob $50
trans yoke $100
I have no idea what the custom trans tunnel piece would cost, but I have 12 hours labor in it and the aluminum bezels. I would loose my but selling it for $300.

That's $5850 I did it for about $4950 by hunting for deals and making my own parts.

You could save money on the clutch by going with a single disc.
You could save on the trans by using a takeout from an LS camaro, but it will have reduced torque capacity.
You could do a tremec tko and the trans and bellhousing would be cheaper

Is it safe to say there is 4k-4.5k in just the trans and clutch? ...Your project is probably still cheaper than the guy who did the paddle-shifted TCI 6x. I think the cool/fun factor is worth it if you can swing it!
I just looked at what the TCI 6x costs. Holy crap, yes the t56 is cheaper. Especially once you add the converter, paddle shifter and controller.