T left me walking.

NEARING

My trusty old T left me walking on the way home from work after being rock solid for 5 years.
I was just running along with traffic when the service engine light came on and she died. At first I thought it was the fuel pump or bad gas as I had just filled up about 5 min before.
Got it towed home and verified good fuel pressure and volume, bled off some fuel to inspect for free water and found none.
Did a visual for burnt wires and vac lines but found nothing.
Car will stay running for about 2 seconds if I push the gas pedal about 1/2 way or so and die. Super pig rich.
I pulled the chip out (not sure why I did) and the prongs on one side had a light white residue on them. Almost like it had burnt. Cleaned them off with alcohol and replaced but it didn't help.
Car actually starts about the same with no chip at all in it.
Check engine light is on of course and it appears my scanmaster is dead.
Checked the cam sensor and it was not loose.
Any Ideas before I start to buy parts at random.
Thanks.

Yea checked all the fused and fond none blown. I didn't check for spark since it will start but I will since that is free. I have an extra coil pack that I will probably change out too. Not sure why the chip looked like that?
Probably unrelated but my alky stopped working about a week ago. The red spray light stays on all the time but it's not spraying. Even with the test button.
Thanks.

Yea checked all the fused and fond none blown. I didn't check for spark since it will start but I will since that is free. I have an extra coil pack that I will probably change out too. Not sure why the chip looked like that?
Probably unrelated but my alky stopped working about a week ago. The red spray light stays on all the time but it's not spraying. Even with the test button.
Thanks.
You said it was pig rich in your first post. So either it has spark and does something like runs or backfires or if no spark it doesn't do anything

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Unplug maf and see what it does. Is it stock or do you have a translator?

I just went thru a similar situation a few weeks ago. Car shut off on me randomly while driving. Started back up and it did it again. Half the time it wouldn't start. When it finally did, it would drive for a bit, but kinda "back fired" or shut off when I gave it gas. it was also smelling super rich. I was somewhat close to home and didn't want to call for a tow. Long story short, I finally made it home, but I burned thru a fair amount of gas in the meantime. Kinda crazy. I checked by scan master when I was on the way home, my AF readings were all over the place. I was running the stock MAF, it pretty much crapped out on me. Luckily, I had a LT1 and MAF Translator, so I installed it and it ran better than before.

Not saying it is for sure your MAF, but its a good place to check...

I think these cars have reached the age where running with a stock MAF is like playing Russian Roulette...

.....with only one empty slot.

Checked and I have good spark to all 6. Yes it has the stock MAF so I will look into that. Car will only stay runing for like 2 seconds before it dies. It will run you out of the garage with the doors open after 2 starts it's so pig rich. It does not backfire at all. I need to check to see why the scan master is not working too. It was working before it died.

Thanks.

If you are having issues where your SM shut off and alky kit is acting crazy, I would try to disconnect those from power temporarily, especially the alky controller. Are you 100% sure something didn't happen and alky IS spraying?

Sucks getting stranded, sorry to hear it. I might have a known good MAF I can lend you if you don't have one for troubleshooting purposes.

If you are having issues where your SM shut off and alky kit is acting crazy, I would try to disconnect those from power temporarily, especially the alky controller. Are you 100% sure something didn't happen and alky IS spraying?

Sucks getting stranded, sorry to hear it. I might have a known good MAF I can lend you if you don't have one for troubleshooting purposes.

Nope Alky is not spraying abit. Not even with th test button.
I disconnected the MAF and it did run a tad better could keep it running for 10 seconds vs 2 . Going to pull it and clean it . Proably going to have to convert it.
Maybe it's mad at me for selling the GN.
The scan master does have power but only flashes for a fraction of a second when the car shuts off. Strange...

Do you have another computer to try?

The alky kit not working is is defentaly a hint...posiibly going to be the map sensor, power or ground issue somewhere.....Alt or battery..

Last edited:
Brother I can send you a computer, map sensor, and here in a few days I get my maf sensor back. I always keep known good spares for troubleshooting. Let me know if I can help. And yeah, she is probably upset with you. ;)

Car will stay running for about 2 seconds if I push the gas pedal about 1/2 way or so and die. Super pig rich.
I pulled the chip out (not sure why I did) and the prongs on one side had a light white residue on them. Almost like it had burnt. Cleaned them off with alcohol and replaced but it didn't help.
Car actually starts about the same with no chip at all in it.
Check engine light is on of course and it appears my scanmaster is dead.
Checked the cam sensor and it was not loose.
Any Ideas before I start to buy parts at random.
Thanks.

Do this: at key-on, engine-off observe the check engine light (CEL), it should turn on, blink off, then turn on solid. Can repeat the test after a minimum of 10 seconds of key-off.

The key is: the CEL must do the blink off.

If it doesn't don't bother to turn the key to start, the ECM is in limp mode. Which is why it is so rich, the back up fueling is calibrated for the stock injectors. Not the larger ones you'all are running.

If you have a PL installed, remove it and do the blink test again.

Further troubleshooting for the 'no CEL blink' is another chip and then another ECM.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Any chance you have a bunch of aftermarket wiring that may or may not resemble a kids favorite pasta dish. (extra points if you have meatballs under the dash).

It really sounds like you have some wiring problems. (that might have started taking out components).

Thanks for everyone's replies.I had found the main ground wire was a bit loose and had lots of oily grime between it and the block, still ran like crap after fixing that. I had the wife mail me a chip from when the car had a 62/62S on it and the car started right up and idles fine. Not going to drive it around with the wrong chip in it but it "seems" that was the problem. I had noticed the chip that was in the car had white residue on one side of the pins, almost like it was burnt. Maybe the loose ground took it out? I'm going to disconnect the alky kit wires till I find out why the pump is not coming on. Could be something there. the $295 for 15 mile rollback bill sucked!
Again thanks.

Thanks for the update... This will help future searchers..

White residue usually is water intrusion... Clean both ecm connectors with electronic cleaner spray (can be found at Autozone, etc) then use dielectric grease to keep water out....if its a t top car, check the seals and holes in roof :(

Brother I can send you a computer, map sensor, and here in a few days I get my maf sensor back. I always keep known good spares for troubleshooting. Let me know if I can help. And yeah, she is probably upset with you. ;)

You are a great person. No one was willing to do something like this when I needed help good for you.