swapped out my pte44 for the pte54- what power gains should i expect? LONG

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
anyone here done this combo change? what did you gain with no other changes?

here is the cars combo when it had the pte44-
should i expect the car to gain any power?? lol

the 87 limited has never had the motor pulled, heads off, or front cover off-

thdp,hooker cat back with hooker turbo mufflers, pte44, hard MAF pipe, stock MAF with no screens, BGC 23 row stretch, had a hemco, replaced with RJC power plate, port matched intake, 62mm t-body, msd 50s with reds 107 race chip, bruce's 9-11 convertor, pmac trans, 979 valve springs, and thats about it-

the car was running thru the muffs consistantly 11.35- 11.40's at 118-119.7 with 28 psi of boost~ or a lil more ;)
she never knocked, and ran great- on scanmaster-

so- now that i have a scm alky kit, egt, tach, boost controller, directscan,power plate, and the 54 turbo. i think i will be able to squeeze another 3-4 tenths out of this car all loaded up with race gas and race chip- and no alky-- unless it knocks, then i will turn it on instead of popping the original head gaskets

i just checked my PTE and it lists the h.p. rate for the pte54 as TBD grrrr-- now i cant figure out the cfm flow :confused:

sorry for the long post- but what times is anyone else seeing with my combo?? i have a set of o-ringed heads ready to bolt on, but want to see the actual h.p. gains over the pte44??

my guess is that this 54 will make the same power as the 44 did, but hopefully at 4 or 5 psi less boost

thanks for the responses
bryan

Hehehe...look at it this way, Bryan...Didn't Joe R, Sr break his crankshaft last year in BG running a -54???

Other than having no useful input to this topic, I'll be lurking from here on out... ;)

he has a 51 or a 52 and was makeing pass after pass at 14* of knock :rolleyes:

surprised the first rebuild motor lasted so long when i heard he was tuning for 6* of knock on his last motor---

If the 50's will hold,it should run 11.0's easy or 10.90's with a good tune.

The PT54 turbo is capable of making 630hp and flows 945 cfm according to Poston's catalog. If you check out the Buick section on the PTE website www.precisionte.com they have a guy named Mike Price that ran 10.90 with a stock untouched long block, so with a decent launch (1.5 60') you could possibly run high 10's!!! Good luck with the car :) :D

I know he doesn't have the -51, because that's what I have, and his was different...Maybe he does have the -52, though I was thinking -54...Oh well...

And...YIKES!!!!! :eek: 14 degrees!!! pass after pass!!! ummm...OOPS!!!

Look at my latest post today for my newest discovery on my 85GN motor... :mad: When will my bad luck end!!!

thank you for the link-- i forgot about that !!

hmmm my car did 470hp on the rear wheel dyno-- so with this turbo, heads, and cam, im sure it will go to 535hp or better with lots of tuning-

86 brick-
the car has gotten 1.58 and 1.59 60's so i think a 10.99999 isnt too far off for this car,..
sweet--
anyone else have a 54 and running good times?

Funny part is Mike Price went from a TE44 turbo and 009's to the 54 turbo and 50's and ran 10.92 with the V4 intercooler so I guess he's a good example cause he did the same combo change as you. :cool:

where are you finding the info on this guy MIKE PRICE???

i want to pick his brain and see what i can do to get my car at the same times or better--

what boost level?

If you click on the link I posted to PTE's website and go the the Buick section on the bottom of the page they have customers cars featured and one of them is Mike Price. It doesn't say how much boost he was running, but I'm guessing about 25+lbs.