Ripped the splines out of my PTC convertor twice.

evil666

Ok here it goes, I have been having this problem that I really can't figure out. I ripped the splines out of my PTC convertor twice. The first time it happened I punched the car on the street for a little shot and the car went to neutral. The motor would just rev and I had no more forward or reverse with a horrible grinding noise. Take the tranny out and noticed that my input shaft took out the splines in the ptc convertor. Get the convertor opened up and the guy tells me you only have 1/4 inch engagement in the convertor. So I thought maybe because I didn't shim the convertor I didn't have enough engagement but still a 1/4 inch is really not a lot. Now because I was in a rush to try the car's new set at the track before the track closed for the winter I told him fix the torque so I could get a chance to try it out. Now with the torque fixed and shimed 1/8 more to the tranny, which now gives me 3/8 of an inch engagement I drive to the track (37 miles) and pull up to do my first pass. Warm up the tires and stage at the light with 2 lbs of boost for an easy first pass, light turns green, floor the car(1.49 60ft), shift second car is pulling very nice, about to shift into third and BANG the motor revs up and its all over again. Yes thats right it happened again, a flat bed home twice in to weeks:frown:. Now this week I took down the tranny again and the input shaft ripped 3/8 of the splines in the convertor again. Get informed and I am told that I need at least 3/4 of an inch to an inch engagement between the input shaft and the torque convertor, so I assume there is something wrong with my tranny or torque. So my buddy has his tranny out of his car and a brand new PTC ready to go into his car. We take the measurements inside the torque convertor and they are the same as mine, so that rules out the convertor. Take the measurements from the stator to the tip of the input shaft (2.445 his and 2.497 mine). I noticed that my input shaft has an 1/8 play back and forth which I didn't check on my friends car and now his tranny is back on his car. If I push the input shaft in I have 2.371 instead of 2.497, so I call my tranny guy and he tells me that it is normal to have a play on the input shaft. Measure the stator to the front of the tranny and I get 1.618 and my friend's was 1.630, so I quess this rules out the tranny as well. What I don't understand is that this means that my buddy will have the same engagement in the torque like me, but like I said I was told that I need more engagement. I measured the inside of a stock D5 convertor and it would give me a 1/4 inch more engagement.

Now I really don't know how to solve this problem, and I've done searches on this forum and other forums on different cars and came up with nothing on this problem. I really need help from you guys on this because I really don't know what to do next.

Thanks a head of time for any help and advice.
Marco

T-Top 86 Grand Nationals (63000km) 109 block with weisco forged pistons and 2 billet center main caps, M&A aluminum heads, roller rockers, port match lower intake ,te63 a.r .82, erson 214/214 cam, razor alky injection, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, kenne bell headers, 60 lbs injectors, extender alky chip with 21/19 timing, with a gen 2 with a LS1 maf,thdp, mease 24 row IC, PTC 3200 stall 9 1/2 convertor, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/60/15) , rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HRmotor mounts, Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust, hr rear sway bar, no front sway bar, 90/10 lakewood in the front and 50/50 lakewood shocks in the rear with energy suspension poly bushings all over, boxed rear lower control arms, Big mouth cold air with an AFE air filter.
(New weber stroker 245 ci, dbb pt67/76 turbo, and double pumper) No times yet cause I stripped the splines in the torque convertor on my first pass, hopefully next year.

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
60FT=1.48 (foot brake on 4 lbs of boost)
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83
MPH=105.2 (letting off the gas, car was running to lean)

Have you called dusty and asked about this situation? Have you measured the thickness of the input shaft it could be too small like using a wreck barley too big on a bolt which strips when you really start to get on it.

Have you called dusty and asked about this situation? Have you measured the thickness of the input shaft it could be too small like using a wreck barley too big on a bolt which strips when you really start to get on it.

No I haven't spoken to Dusty yet because since I have taken the measurements off my friend's PTC I don't think the convertor is the problem. I did call PTC and expained the problem to them once and they told me to ship the convertor to them and they would try to make changes to the convertor so I would have more engagement. But what I don't understand is why would my convertor need to be modified and the thousands of others who bought PTC convertors didn't have to. The inputshaft I have is a billet that I bought from David Hussek and I have put about 810 miles on it and the dimensions seem to be the same as a stock inputshaft. I wish I could buy a 1/2 inch longer inputshaft it should solve my problem, but then again why would I have to be the only one running a longer shaft.

Thanks,
Marco

T-Top 86 Grand Nationals (63000km) 109 block with weisco forged pistons and 2 billet center main caps, M&A aluminum heads, roller rockers, port match lower intake ,te63 a.r .82, erson 214/214 cam, razor alky injection, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, kenne bell headers, 60 lbs injectors, extender alky chip with 21/19 timing, with a gen 2 with a LS1 maf,thdp, mease 24 row IC, PTC 3200 stall 9 1/2 convertor, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/60/15) , rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HRmotor mounts, Weld Drag Lites with skinnies up front, electric exhaust, hr rear sway bar, no front sway bar, 90/10 lakewood in the front and 50/50 lakewood shocks in the rear with energy suspension poly bushings all over, boxed rear lower control arms, Big mouth cold air with an AFE air filter.
(New weber stroker 245 ci, dbb pt67/76 turbo, and double pumper) No times yet cause I stripped the splines in the torque convertor on my first pass, hopefully next year.

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83

How is your thrust clearance? You might want to compare how far the flywheel is from the block to see if something weird is going on there.

How much do you have to pull the converter forward to get it to butt up against the flywheel?

How is your thrust clearance? You might want to compare how far the flywheel is from the block to see if something weird is going on there.

The flywheel from the block is .380 (almost 1/2 an inch). The crank clearance to the block is .253 and .300 to the rear main cap and I measured the same clearances to my original motor and they were about same. I tried to take some pictures to show you guys where I took the measurements.
P1010460.jpgP1010461.jpgP1010462.jpgP1010463.jpgP1010464.jpg

Thanks,
Marco

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83

How much do you have to pull the converter forward to get it to butt up against the flywheel?

Hi Kevin
If I remember right, the last time I put the tranny back on I had between 1/8 and 3/16 clearance between the flywheel and convertor. This is after shimming the flywheel to the convertor 1/8, the first time I ripped the splines on the convertor the clearance was a bit greater cause I hadn't shim it.

Thanks,
Marco

BEST E/T= Exhaust closed
1/8= 6.65 at 100 mph
1/4= 10.83

Yeah I think something is wrong with your input shaft. Put a set of calipers on your then one of another 2004r and not any difference.

Call Dusty. I believe this is a problem with the converter. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his 2004r PTC. The splines in the converter are built too far in.

There have been a couple guys with this issue. Still no explanation of why it happens when all the converters have similar engagement to what you have. We do have some room to move the splines around to get you more engagement when you send it in.