Swap out rack&pinion

rz@d

A recenct ice storm led to my '00 GSE hitting a tall curb. Besides the wheel getting gouged up, the impact bent the pass side of the rack (what would be the tie rod area on a rear drive car). Anybody changed one of these before? Any tips to offer? I want to know if it is feasable to try changing this in a home garage or must it be done on a lift?
Thanks in advance

You Can Change The Tie Rods Without Changing The Rack. Dont Need A Lift But May Need A Inner Tie Rod Tool. Havent Done One On A Gm But Usaully Arent To Hard.

The rack "arm" is actually bent. No getting around it, the whole thing will need to be swapped out.

If You Are Talking About The Arm That Pivots That Is The Inner Tie Rod. It Screws Into The Rack Inside Of The Boot. Remove Boot And You Can Remove Arm From Rack And Replace.

I'll check that out then, it would be great to not have to get overly involved if theres another option. Thanks.

Anyone here know of any websites / bulletin boards devoted to the Buick or Pontiac FWD Supercharged cars? Thanks Dan

jack up front end take off both front tires. take off 15 or 18mm nuts on outer tie rods. loosen 7/8 nut on inner tie rods, hit spindle by oter tie rods with hammer hard (pops loose outer tie rods) take cover off of steering shaft remove 11mm bolt and remove shaft. put gack under rear cradle and remove two 18 or 21mm bolts for cradle. remove high and low pressure lines they are eather 16 or 18mm and then remove two bolts that hold rack in. eather 15 or 18mm. than slide rack out drivers side. but back in reverse order, I can do one in 30 min they are not hard.

Thank you Smoke20! I have been avoiding this job' with the intention of tackling it in the Spring. Now at least I'm armed with some good info!!