Suspension Upgrade?

chadswe4

Looking to make a upgrade but I'm not sure what to get. Ride Tec, Coil overs, or AFX with new springs and shocks?

chadswe4 said:
All around driving. Some drag but mostly street.

Box in your factory arms, upper and lower. Swap bushings. Add 4 Bilsteins shocks and air bags. This has worked for years and years and is not very expensive.

All around driving. Some drag but mostly street.
Most importantly what is your budget? That will determine what everyone here recommend for you.

I will give you some information into some choices which may help make your decision..

Coil springs & regular gas replacement shocks - No ride height adjustability & No dampening adjustability in the shocks Unless you go with the new RideTech "Q Series" replacement shocks where the HQ shock has rebound adjustment but your still stuck with replacing coil springs to get the proper ride height you desire.

Coil Overs - Allow you Ride height adjustability and depending on which coil overs you want they can offer you "Single to Triple" adjustments in dampening so you can dial in your desired ride quality & handling performance for various conditions.

I'm not a fan of the AFX spindles or Any drop spindle for that matter as the leading suspension manufactures are growing leaps and bounds in correcting the g-body suspension geometry with their kits. I have competed against some of the most expensive pro-touring cars in the country at Many Auto-x events and have out performed half the field at each and every event with a DSE suspension and a stock spindle!

Thanks for the info. My budget is about 2,000-2,500. Just not sure what direction to go in. Trying to make the car as fun as possible without going broke.

chadswe4 said:
Thanks for the info. My budget is about 2,000-2,500. Just not sure what direction to go in. Trying to make the car as fun as possible without going broke.

Tell'em Scot...he's gonna go broke!!! Haha.
After being on here for years now, I have always said...CHASSIS FIRST.
To many guys buy a car( any car) and start throwin' $$$ to make it go faster. Problem is...if the car can't respond to the added power...it suffers. If you spend your $$$ wisely on stiffening the chassis...you will feel all the power when you start to put it into the engine.
1. Boxed arms
2. Better shocks
3. Rear seat brace( I prefer GNX brace.welded in)
4. Front frame braces
5. Front connecting brace
6. Missing bushings (GNX position also)
7. RJC rear engine brace
8. Poly bushings for rear arms
All this will cost you about $1100. You will have a few bucks in welding in the brace and welding the boxing kit on the rear arms.
That leaves you a very solid chassis and over a $1000 dollars to get a Scanmaster and make some mods like fuel pump, hot wire kit, K&N air filter, TTchip...etc.
Do this and I think you will be very happy. Do this and your car will handle much more power then you would guess.
My car was such a pleasure to drive after I did these mods. It handled great.

Chad,

Give us a call Wend. and we will go over what direction you want to go and we will take it from there...

Chad,

I put together several packages for you and can get you pretty close to your budget and still take care of the stock geometry issues. The one Coach mentioned in his last post has worked well for many in the past and still to this day but the only thing it does not do is correct the stock geometry issues associated with the front end..

I can get you within $150.00 of your budget with these items: You can later purchase the front & rear sway bars and you will be set!

Front Upper & Lower Tubular A-arms
Front Non adjustable Coil Overs (with a 1,000,001 warranty)
Rear Upper & Lower control arms (also has the mounts for the factory sway bar)
Rear Non adjustable Coil overs (with same warranty)

I put the detroit speed setup on my 86GN and am now in the process of putting it on my 87GN.
New body bushings and suspension and the difference is night and day. Installation is super straightforward.
Scot will get you setup.

If you have the coin, you can't beat the quality of Ridetech products. Its been the route I've been wanting to take for sometime after meeting with them on Powertour and seeing their products up close and experiencing them.