Suspension rebuild

OK, sorry, I'll ask you permission next time I post oh lord of the suspension section.:rolleyes:

OK, sorry, I'll ask you permission next time I post oh lord of the suspension section.:rolleyes:
Oh just chill Jeremy.:p The list isn't public and may never be public but it might be sold as a kit at some time with different add ons.:D

It's all good. Whats the deal with all the hiding parts lists in here and the hot air section anyways? Never quite understood that.

Well, on second thought, no need to answer, we dont need to clutter up his thread with garbage talk. Sorry about that WH1. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress brother!;)

Oh there will be a whole list with pictures following my whole process of doing this....don't worry about that!! No secrets here, sorry it is taking so long but I am doing this in my time off from work and taking it slow because I have never done this before.

Been talking him through some of the rough parts on the phone Jeremy. For a guy that's never done front end work he's got a good idea of what to do and really hasn't had a issue so far.:) Either send me an email or call me if you need any more help Matt.;)

Been talking him through some of the rough parts on the phone Jeremy. For a guy that's never done front end work he's got a good idea of what to do and really hasn't had a issue so far.:) Either send me an email or call me if you need any more help Matt.;)

That's good to hear Charlie, thanks. Kinda thought I had been bugging ya with stupid little questions. :)

Tomorrow SHOULD be assembly of the passenger side and ALL steering components..but I do have a 9 yo and a 7 yo..plus whatever the wife wants to get done...sooooo...we shall see.

That's good to hear Charlie, thanks. Kinda thought I had been bugging ya with stupid little questions. :)

Tomorrow SHOULD be assembly of the passenger side and ALL steering components..but I do have a 9 yo and a 7 yo..plus whatever the wife wants to get done...sooooo...we shall see.
If it was an issue I'd be very grumpy to you Matt, believe me.:D Take care of the wife and kids first then worry about the car.:) I'm more than happy to help those that are willing to learn and those that just want to bolt parts on without understanding how they work I don't do much to help out. Those are the ones that don't deserve the help and should get ripped out of their wallets.:p Not being mean but they need to have some clue as to what they're doing.:)

Matt & Charlie I can't wait to see how all those parts turn out on your car... Matt your doing a great job!

Not trying to hijack your thread WH1, but have a quick question for Charlie on rebuilding the front end. Took next Thurs & Fri off from work to do mine (upper & lower arms, bushings and joints already in so it will be a simple swap, all steering linkage, steering gear & lines, front springs). I was going to do one side at a time and was going to start with dissasembling the drivers side first. Question is, once its ready to go back together, what the best order to go in? I was thinking hang the knuckle on the top CA first then attach the lower CA & spring. Also, got a new Delco steering box, do these come centered? Am I reading correctly in my GM manual that the pitman arm gets torqued to 185 lb-ft? Seems like a lot.

Not trying to hijack your thread WH1, but have a quick question for Charlie on rebuilding the front end. Took next Thurs & Fri off from work to do mine (upper & lower arms, bushings and joints already in so it will be a simple swap, all steering linkage, steering gear & lines, front springs). I was going to do one side at a time and was going to start with dissasembling the drivers side first. Question is, once its ready to go back together, what the best order to go in? I was thinking hang the knuckle on the top CA first then attach the lower CA & spring. Also, got a new Delco steering box, do these come centered? Am I reading correctly in my GM manual that the pitman arm gets torqued to 185 lb-ft? Seems like a lot.
If you're replacing the center link and tie rods take them out as 1 piece. Then you can lay them down with the other parts assembled and you can get the toe and tie rod legnths closer to alignment. As far as the springs go, get a spring compressor that can compress the spring down onto the LCA and you can put everything up easier. Hanging the knuckle on the UCA is a safe way to make sure you don't damage anything. If you take the knuckle completely loose make sure to take the caliper and hang it with some wire so you don't stress the brake hose. Not sure why you're replacing the gear box but the pitman is splined so it only goes on in one place and the input should be the same. You can get the input off a tooth or 2 but not by that much as a rule. If you want to make this easier PM me or wait until Matt posts the new "how to" thread with pics ect which should help a bunch of guys out with doing front end work.:)

Finally made some real progress on getting the parts back on today. Need to tighten up the drivers side stuff (not torqued down 'cause it is still in the air), put the shocks on..and then I will put the brakes back together and get it on the ground and torque it down!

And thanks for the replys everyone. No worries about hijacking the thread 87gninpa. Definetly a related question.

Sigh.......

To give you guys a heads up, Matt ordered the parts per part numbers and it looks like the vendor (non TB.com) dropped the ball.:mad: I think I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Matt before we figured out what happened.:( Hopefully it will be corrected without an issue but the "list" may have some amended part numbers bucause of this issue.:mad:

Got the wrong part in the mail and the right one is on its way. I should have it by Thursday. Back on night shift starting tonight, but before work tomorrow and the next day I will try and move forward with the part I do have.

Subscribed, cause I need all the help I can get!!!!! Getting ready for this process myself.

Sounds good 6APPEAL. If I can do this, anyone can. I'm close enough to finished to where I am orgaizing the pictures I do have and seeing if there is anything additional I need to snap a pic of before I put the wheels back on. Only reason I'm not done now is the part issue and being back on night shift.

Both sides need shocks then to be tightened down and that's it! Hoping to get it finished tomorrow. Working on the how to thread now.

Spent most of the day in the shop but I'll try to send you a response when I get through reading email Matt. :)

All the parts are together on the passenger side, just need to tighten up (not torque down) the LCA bolts, inner tie rod, and idler arm. Drivers side needs the rotor put on...and that is all. :)

Is there anything I can torque down while it is on jack stands? Like maybe the steering components? UCA bolts since they don't pivet? Anything?