Stupid Newbee Question

chris_lee715

If you order a turbo tweak chip for a completly stock car and you ask to have the boost set at say 17lbs does the chip raise the boost or do you need a manual boost controler to do that?

If you order a turbo tweak chip for a completly stock car and you ask to have the boost set at say 17lbs does the chip raise the boost or do you need a manual boost controler to do that?

To do this you will a few upgrades such as a new fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a boost gauge that reads correctly as you cannot go by the factory gauge, and a scan tool. I would probably want a knock detector too so if you are not paying attention you get a visual/audio warning. A 160 thermostat should also be installed. The chip has the parameters built in but you should have an adjustable wastegate rod so you can fine tune it. The article is probably still on here but it is very easy to cut your rod, thread it, put on a sleeve and two nuts and you now have an adjustable rod. Bruce

To do this you will a few upgrades such as a new fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a boost gauge that reads correctly as you cannot go by the factory gauge, and a scan tool. I would probably want a knock detector too so if you are not paying attention you get a visual/audio warning. A 160 thermostat should also be installed. The chip has the parameters built in but you should have an adjustable wastegate rod so you can fine tune it. The article is probably still on here but it is very easy to cut your rod, thread it, put on a sleeve and two nuts and you now have an adjustable rod. Bruce
x2

Technically the chip does limit the boost psi. However it can be "fooled" by the method loosely explained above. When you do as noted above, you have the ability to adjust the length of the wastegate actuator rod. This allows for more boost than the chip is programmed for.

My car has this, but i've never used it because it gets SO HOT. Adjustment can only be made when cool or with tools. IMO, a better way to adjust boost is with an RJC boost controller. It is very simple yet extremely effective and easy to adjust even when the motor is hot; no tools required.

Now when ordering your chip, you might PM Eric to see if you should order based on your max FUTURE boost or current boost. I'm unsure as to whether this has a bearing on the fuel tables or anything.

Technically the chip does limit the boost psi. However it can be "fooled" by the method loosely explained above. When you do as noted above, you have the ability to adjust the length of the wastegate actuator rod. This allows for more boost than the chip is programmed for.

My car has this, but i've never used it because it gets SO HOT. Adjustment can only be made when cool or with tools. IMO, a better way to adjust boost is with an RJC boost controller. It is very simple yet extremely effective and easy to adjust even when the motor is hot; no tools required.

Now when ordering your chip, you might PM Eric to see if you should order based on your max FUTURE boost or current boost. I'm unsure as to whether this has a bearing on the fuel tables or anything.

I made many rod changes at the drag strip on a hot engine and it was nothing to do. I used an alligator clip instead of the clip and that was a big help. Now I have A Bst electronic boost controller and all I need to do is turn a know while sitting in the car. The controller is very accurate and I know ezactly what boost I am getting at different settings. They no longer make these but I see them in the for sale section once in a while. Bruce

The chip will not raise the boost to 17lbs. That is the ideal boost setting for the chip. If your boost is set at 14lbs and you just change to a TT chip for 17lbs your boost will not be raised to 17lbs. You still have to change the length of the wastegate rod to get to the desired 17lbs. Which, by the way, you will not know without a boost guage. A TT chip also requires 43 psi for fuel pressure. You will have to change from the stock regulator to an adjustable. Also, 17lbs of boost on a stock engine is not good unless you are proficient at changing headgaskets. A few upgrades should be made before you run that much boost.

I just finished making a stock wastegate into an adjustable one.

Attachments

• Adj_wastegate.jpg
    Adj_wastegate.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 67