stupid newb question (sorry).... Best Oil

National Newb

What is the best oil to use in these motors??? weight / brand

tried looking around reg. zinc for the flat tappet cams.... my motor is mostly stock except for addons, so still has the flat tappet stock cam....

lots of people say "shell rotella" all I could find is 15W-40 (diesel) and 5W-40

I already have the zddp addative ready...

but what weight and brand do you recommend for a stock 60,000 mile TR motor...:confused: ?synthetic?regular?

Thanks!

This is a loaded question. :) Do a search on any car forum and you will find threads with pages of arguments for and against certain oils.

That said, I'm a Royal Purple fan, 10W30 ;)

The current formulation of rotella being sold on the shelves does not have sufficient amounts of Zn or P.

Chevron Delo 400 LE is adequate, but not for break-in or high spring pressures.

I already have the zddp addative ready...

but what weight and brand do you recommend for a stock 60,000 mile TR motor...:confused: ?synthetic?regular?

Thanks!

Any SM rated brand you like, with the ZDDP added for cam protection... synthetic (a FEW would argue) for it's high-temp/anti-coking properties, 10w30 if your hot idle oil pressure is sufficient with it, 10w40/20w50 if you need it for hot idle oil pressure...

Probably the best combined answer, averaged from 10 gazillion threads/posts.... :wink:

There are so many opinions on this it is not even funny. Many of us choose based on our own experience and what we see when we tear down and inspect.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic 10/40. In everything except my motorcycle and tractor.

I bumped this old thread just for the humor factor

Guilty as charged

I think I may have bumped another oil thread someplace
Haha

Hey Tim, me too :)

I am LOL as I reply to the OP here. I say that to try to reveal my jovial natured reply - meaning not down on any replies or arguing with anybody. I racked up 6 figure miles using the cheapest stuff the parts store had on the day I did the oil change and it all worked just fine. The engine problems I have had were NOT caused by oil selection and I seriously doubt any oil would have helped save anything.

Now I am LOL at my own reply thinking that sounds like an ad for a race to the bottom!!!