Stupid &*@$# Hood Insulators, anyone else?

Sandman_GN85

Someone help me?
Alright I just got me a new $125 insulator from jaxseatcover.com for my 85 GN. First day out and the thing has a hole cooked in it. How are we hotair owners supposed to survive? Any help would be great. Just a little frustrated.

I put a GM one in mine last spring which cost somewhere around 80 bucks and it is still like new.There is a heavy heat sheild on it where the turbo is.I'm not sure if the jax insulator has one.

Hey TurboBuickSix, where did you get the 84/5 hood insulator at??? Did you get it from the dealer??? I tried to get one about 4 yrs ago and the dealer said it was discontinued...Might have to try them again...I've just got the 86/7 GN/TR hood insulator on there...Mine didn't cook, I put another insulator/heat shield above my turbo to keep from frying the new insulator...

when i put a new insulator on my car, i thought i would try using some thin sheet metal over the turbo to protect the pad.could also be used to cover a small hole already there.maby bfh could make some of these and put a cool turbo six or something like that on it. i would buy one for sure. you out there bfh?

You're going to need more than just sheet metal as an insulator...You would have to put some type of extremely heat resistant insulation behind it to do any good...

FYI, my insulator that I'm using is part of a old used bearing heatshield from a JT8D-200 jet engine :D The heatshield actually rests on top of my turbo's exhaust housing and it only just barely melted the hood insulator a little bit in that spot...

um are yall sure you have the 84/85 one... it shouldnt be melting.. mine lasted a good year or two.. until the car was stolen and that cooked it pretty good..

I got mine almost 2 years ago and it's still fine. Ordered it at the local dealership (about $100).

Always GO to the dealership and don't call and you should try a couple different ones till you find one that has good people that will put forth some effort to get you what you want.It don't have to be a Buick dealer either,I got all of my stuff including the insulator from a Pontiac dealer that just closed down.But I just moved within walking distace of an Olds dealer(that I really hope survives)and I was just there today ordering the oil return tube grommet.They are a GM performance parts dealer too.

yeah Mark, I'm here! I've looked at the metal plate on the hood, and thought about making up a larger one out of black anodized aluminum, but like Jim says, more that just "it" will be needed to beat the heat...

I think that would help anything is better then nothing looking forward to seeing this available on your site there buick from hell.

i think you all got me wrong, i was thinking of putting some metal on the hood insulator. so you would have less of a chance of burning through the insulator. you could put it on with some small bolts and some large washers on the back of the insulator.i beleave it would work.

The hood insulator(even behind a metal plate) will not hold up to the high heat of the turbo being so close...You also need some type of insulation behind the metal plate(not just hood insulator, actually some kind of insulation between plate and hood insulator) to be able to take the heat...

Show ya's what I mean:

here's a pic of my burnt-up hood pad, AND the existing metal shield (which is loose & dangling btw), Click Here!

What burnt up MY pad wasn't the turbo, but the up & down pipes! What I'd like to make, is a LARGE replacement for that small shield, one that would also cover the area over the pipes!

The main obstacle is that I don't think the 2 dinky screws that hold the original in place will reliably hold a larger plate in place, the front portion would need to be secured somehow...

Second obstacle, is what to use as insulation between the new plate and the hood pad! Something similar to that stuff used on the up/down pipes may work, but where do I look?

Im thinkin fireplace supply...

What you want is a flexible material in sheet form that can be cut to fit. IMO

S